Burger King losses mount in South Africa as Dunkin Donuts and Baskin Robbins shut down

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Meh just finishing off three Krispy Kreme that cost R49.00 - worth every cent - the limited Nougat range.
Nothing wrong with diabetes in a box if it tastes good.
Yeah I have to admit Krispy Kreme know how to make a delectable donut.....

ponder

Honorary Master
As well, but I just think that little issue compounds the problem extensively...
Technically I don't see an issue, you have non-muslims owning halaal outlets which is no problem and they can be satanist. Nobody questions those. People are looking at this from an islamic moral standpoint.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Technically I don't see an issue, you have non-muslims owning halaal outlets which is no problem and they can be satanist. Nobody questions those. People are looking at this from an islamic moral standpoint.
The issue being they claim as a company to follow Muslim principles etc etc... which is how they justify the Halaal aspect of all BK's... yet they are haram because they profit from gambling.

ponder

Honorary Master
The issue being they claim as a company to follow Muslim principles etc etc... which is how they justify the Halaal aspect of all BK's... yet they are haram because they profit from gambling.
Different companies. Rembrand will sell you cigarettes, alcohol, insurance & medical care via it's different subsidiaries and I can guarantee you the company ethos varies greatly among them...

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Different companies. Rembrand will sell you cigarettes, alcohol, insurance & medical care via it's different subsidiaries and I can guarantee you the company ethos varies greatly among them...
Given that the Burger King brand was brought in by GPI, and built by them from the ground up in the country, the ethos will very closely match the parent....

Milano

Honorary Master
We had our three nearest BK's closed by the group (group owned stores). They really have very high targets, perhaps unrealistically so. Steers had a fraction of their foot traffic and kept operating.

eg2505

Honorary Master
question, do any BK offer delivery options?

noticed they dont appear on appetite/orderin/mrD ect

falcon786

Executive Member
There are a few of them @ Sasol garages.
Have you seen how busy McDonalds and KFC drive thru's are?

The Sasol model obviously isn't working,a large portion of the public buy at McDonalds and kfc due to the drive thru convenience factor.

They had better make sure the bulk of their new stores are drive thru if they want it to succeed.

And to those who say it's because of bacon well I would be inclined to believe you while discounting the halaal sales they will lose,except that no McDonalds or KFC sells bacon in SA and they are doing well so you're unfortunately quite wrong.

neoprema

Expert Member
Need less of these overpriced, homogenized and commercialized crap IMO. We certainly don't want to go the way of the obese and diabetic American!

We need healthier and better quality options. I for one am all for these types of garbage eateries closing down
There is healthier food available in many many places. This is FAST food. It was never meant to be your diet go-to. Its fast, cheap and tasty and in small amounts there's nothing wrong with it.

Back to BK, I have no issues with their food but the lack of bacon is a problem. McDonalds also has had a what 20 year head-start? When they first opened i was in school and people swore blind they would NEVER eat it compared to Steers (and personally I think Steers burgers are rubbish anyway). But no McD is doing fine.

Maybe they just need more time and exposure?

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
There are 2 Burger Kings close to me, one at a mall, and one at a Sasol with a drive through.
While I would have liked the bacon option, even without it I enjoy it more than any other franchised fast food beef burger, bar Rocomamas if you count them as fast food.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot

The Sasol model obviously isn't working,a large portion of the public buy at McDonalds and kfc due to the drive thru convenience factor.

They had better make sure the bulk of their new stores are drive thru if they want it to succeed.

And to those who say it's because of bacon well I would be inclined to believe you while discounting the halaal sales they will lose,except that no McDonalds or KFC sells bacon in SA and they are doing well so you're unfortunately quite wrong.
The 1.5% extra halal customers are important enough to inconvenience the rest of the country?

Spizz

Goat Botherer

McDonalds or KFC in Europe generally don’t have bacon on their menu anyway. Occasionally McDonald’s has a limited time “guest” burger with bacon, but otherwise the standard line up has none. BK on the other hand does offer it in every restaurant as part of their every day menu.

It’s not about the bacon anyway, it’s the hypocrisy.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
Anyway, let the ship sink and when it does open it with bacon on the menu and drive through's a standard.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
1552922948096.png
That's a decrease in losses for BK?
1552922986882.png
And they'll keep spending more money in order to open new places, I don't understand why everyone expects them to make a profit yet? Just look at their EBITDA
1552923096907.png

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Maybe cater for the whole population instead of halaal only:unsure:
Oh the irony.

McDonalds or KFC in Europe generally don’t have bacon on their menu anyway. Occasionally McDonald’s has a limited time “guest” burger with bacon, but otherwise the standard line up has none. BK on the other hand does offer it in every restaurant as part of their every day menu.

It’s not about the bacon anyway, it’s the hypocrisy.
McDs in England (still part of Europe :p ) is loaded with bacon.

Edit: And Germany. And France. And Italy. And Spain.

Last edited:

Ninja'd

A Djinn
Everyone's talking about adding bacon. Who the hell puts bacon on a donut and ice cream? Americans probably but the point is this article isn't about Burger King, it's Basken Robbins and Dunkin Donuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.