Burger King losses mount in South Africa as Dunkin Donuts and Baskin Robbins shut down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
I'm refering to DBN specifically....

There is one in the Pav, in Gateway, and one inside a small mall in the Protea hotel in Umhlanga it seems... none of those are quick and easy "takeaway" locations. and no drive throughs that I know of.
There's one in Galleria. Im struggling to think of any other outlets. In general though American outlets don't do well in South Africa with the exception of McDonald's who themselves almost left the country because they failed during their first decade in the market and KFC because it's KFC

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Meh just finishing off three Krispy Kreme that cost R49.00 - worth every cent - the limited Nougat range.
Nothing wrong with diabetes in a box if it tastes good.
Krispy Kreme is probably the best donuts in the country but the end of the day they are only donuts. South Africans dont have the same attachment's to round donuts the Americans have but if they start offering long Donut's that's another story

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Burger King was my favourite fast food place in the UK when I visited. The SA one has nothing in common with what I had there other than the menu item names. The burgers here are flavourless imo, the shakes have a nasty chemical aftertaste, the onion rings are completely different and without bacon the flagship menu items don't work at all.

I've had BK twice locally and won't again. It's best that they go bank sooner rather than later so that perhaps in the future someone brings the franchise to SA properly.

alternate

Expert Member
Burger King was my favourite fast food place in the UK when I visited. The SA one has nothing in common with what I had there other than the menu item names. The burgers here are flavourless imo, the shakes have a nasty chemical aftertaste, the onion rings are completely different and without bacon the flagship menu items don't work at all.

I've had BK twice locally and won't again. It's best that they go bank sooner rather than later so that perhaps in the future someone brings the franchise to SA properly.
Sigh what it could have been
https://www.bk.com/menu/burgers :crying:

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Everyone's talking about adding bacon. Who the hell puts bacon on a donut and ice cream? Americans probably but the point is this article isn't about Burger King, it's Basken Robbins and Dunkin Donuts.
I'd take a donut with bacon... Or bacon ice cream

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator

BK at it's worst is still a step above McDonalds.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Don't know about that. As someone who isn't mad about any particular menu item at McDonald's, I'll call it a tie perhaps.

The chips and onion rings at BK are better than anything McD's has, but the McFeast at McD's isn't as bad as the best burger at BK. I'd take Nando's, Steers or KFC over BK or McD's any day of the week.

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
Quoted for truth. Honestly, eat a Big Mac Burger from McD and a Big Whopper from Burger King side-by-side and try tell me they're the same thing ... yes, the Big Whopper IS like R20 more expensive on a meal, but hell it's worth it.

Personally I go to Burger King for the Extra Long Chilli Cheese Burger ... omg, it's the most flavourful burger in SA, and that includes those mayo-drenched messes at Rocco Mamas. Cheese, melted, everywhere ... win!

Reactions: rh1

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Without bacon it's below MCD with bacon I will agree
Moot point since you're not going to get bacon at McD here because it's also Halal. McDs went that route long before BK ever graced SA's shores.

EADC

Expert Member
Moot point since you're not going to get bacon at McD here because it's also Halal. McDs went that route long before BK ever graced SA's shores.
Yeah I know that.

Local BK is garbage though.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Oh the irony.

McDs in England (still part of Europe :p ) is loaded with bacon.

Edit: And Germany. And France. And Italy. And Spain.
I’d hardly say they were loaded with bacon. In fact it’s fairly sparse in the standard offerings. I did forget about the big tasty which comes with bacon, but from the top of my head for the rest, the standard burgers in the UK are hamburger, cheese burger, quarter pounder, Big Mac, big tasty, mcchicken sandwich, filet o fish and big tasty. Then the other ones are all for a limited time. So just one with bacon then.

And lots for breakfast I suppose so I guess I concede anyway. I forgot about McMuffins and wraps etc. They were even doing bog standard bacon rolls last year when I was last in. You win :p

RedhotNeo

Expert Member
At the end of the day this is not good for our economy. And the more job losses doesnt help us.. Lets eat less at 1 place and more in many places.. Space out the money. Keep everyone happy

SeRpEnT

Expert Member
Quoted for truth. Honestly, eat a Big Mac Burger from McD and a Big Whopper from Burger King side-by-side and try tell me they're the same thing ... yes, the Big Whopper IS like R20 more expensive on a meal, but hell it's worth it.

Personally I go to Burger King for the Extra Long Chilli Cheese Burger ... omg, it's the most flavourful burger in SA, and that includes those mayo-drenched messes at Rocco Mamas. Cheese, melted, everywhere ... win!
The Big King is BK's exact copy of the Big Mac. Slightly cheaper in SA and bigger and better in my opinion. The meal is currently on special and a steal at R45. The Big King XL is the Big King on steroids..

https://www.cnbc.com/2013/11/06/big-mac-vs-big-king-taste-test.html

Pitbull

Verboten
Everyone's talking about adding bacon. Who the hell puts bacon on a donut and ice cream? Americans probably but the point is this article isn't about Burger King, it's Basken Robbins and Dunkin Donuts.
Dude,

Americans have Bacon flavored tobacco, toothpaste and even condoms :D

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I’d hardly say they were loaded with bacon. In fact it’s fairly sparse in the standard offerings. I did forget about the big tasty which comes with bacon, but from the top of my head for the rest, the standard burgers in the UK are hamburger, cheese burger, quarter pounder, Big Mac, big tasty, mcchicken sandwich, filet o fish and big tasty. Then the other ones are all for a limited time. So just one with bacon then.

And lots for breakfast I suppose so I guess I concede anyway. I forgot about McMuffins and wraps etc. They were even doing bog standard bacon rolls last year when I was last in. You win :p
You know you can ask for bacon on any of their burgers, specials or not. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.