Bush Says Creation 'Not Incompatible' With Evolution

mercurial

MyBB Legend
President says in televised interview the Bible is "probably not" literally true and that a belief God created the world is compatible with the theory of evolution.

WASHINGTON -- President George W. Bush said his belief that God created the world is not incompatible with the scientific theory of evolution.

In an interview with ABC's "Nightline" on Monday, the president also said he probably is not a literalist when reading the Bible although an individual can learn a great deal from it, including the New Testament teaching that God sent his only son.

Asked about creation and evolution, Bush said: "I think you can have both. I think evolution can -- you're getting me way out of my lane here. I'm just a simple president. But it's, I think that God created the earth, created the world; I think the creation of the world is so mysterious it requires something as large as an almighty and I don't think it's incompatible with the scientific proof that there is evolution."

He added, "I happen to believe that evolution doesn't fully explain the mystery of life."

Interviewer Cynthia McFadden asked Bush if the Bible was literally true.

"You know. Probably not. ... No, I'm not a literalist, but I think you can learn a lot from it, but I do think that the New Testament for example is ... has got ... You know, the important lesson is 'God sent a son,"' Bush said.

"It is hard for me to justify or prove the mystery of the Almighty in my life," he said. "All I can just tell you is that I got back into religion and I quit drinking shortly thereafter and I asked for help. ... I was a one-step program guy."

The president also said that he prays to the same God as those with different religious beliefs.

"I do believe there is an almighty that is broad and big enough and loving enough that can encompass a lot of people," Bush said.

When asked whether he thought he would have become president had it not been for his faith, Bush said: "I don't know; it's hard to tell. I do know that I would have been -- I'm pretty confident I would have been a pretty selfish person."

Bush said he is often asked whether he thinks he was chosen by God to be president.

"I just, I can't go there," he said. "I'm not that confident in knowing, you know, the Almighty, to be able to say, Yeah, God wanted me of all the other people."

He also said the decision to go to war in Iraq was not connected to his religious believes.
"I did it based upon the need to protect the American people from harm," Bush said.

"You can't look at the decision to go into Iraq apart from, you know, what happened on Sept. 11. It was not a religious decision," he said. "I don't view this as a war of religion. I view this as a war of good, decent people of all faiths against people who murder innocent people to achieve a political objective."

He said he felt like God was with him as he made big decisions, but that the decisions were his.
"George W. Bush has to make these decisions."
Link

Alan

Honorary Master
Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District is a landmark case in the 150-Year Creationism War. The Dover School District voted in late 2004 to require the teaching of “intelligent design” as an alternative to the scientific theory of evolution (heavily influenced by the Discovery Institute’s propaganda), and they were promptly sued by a group of eleven outraged parents.

The resulting decision was an utter defeat for the intelligent design shills; star witness Michael Behe was forced to admit under cross examination that there are no peer-reviewed articles by ID advocates, and that the definition of “scientific theory” he was attempting to promote was so vague it could also be applied to astrology. (Despite this crushing blow, the ID movement refuses to go quietly into that dark night.)

The judge in the case, John E. Jones III, a Republican appointed by George W. Bush, ruled that the school district’s policy was unconstitutional, and issued a 139 page decision (available here) that’s remarkable for the conclusions it reaches about the origins and nature of the “intelligent design” movement, and very harsh in its criticism of the groups and individuals who promote it.

Aspects of the judge’s decision bear directly on recent discussions on these issues at LGF; here are some of the more interesting quotes:
http://littlegreenfootballs.com/article/30551_The_Defeat_of_Intelligent_Design_in_Pennsylvania

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
I'm just a simple president
About the most honest thing I have heard out of this idiots mouth. I wonder if he still dates Ted Haggard on the side?

PeterCH

Honorary Master
To know that you do not know is the best.
To pretend to know when you do not know is a disease.
Lao-tzu, The Way of Lao-tzu
Chinese philosopher (604 BC - 531 BC)

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
To know that you do not know is the best.
To pretend to know when you do not know is a disease.
Lao-tzu, The Way of Lao-tzu
Chinese philosopher (604 BC - 531 BC)
GW is an idiot. End of story.

adrianx

Expert Member
I'm not a Bush fan at all and I believe that their wars are about oil and nothing else. As far as I'm concerned, religion and politics shouldn't mix, but I also feel that I would rather be "ruled" by crazy, "happy-clappy" Bush and the US than by any leader that hails from the East. Especially the Middle-East. My freedom is still relatively important to me.

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
LOL. Are you jealous he made it that high then? :)
No actually amazed that there were enough thick people in America that he got voted in twice. I think history will remember him as one of the worst American presidents. Im glad to see the smarter people in the country woke up and voted in Obama. Political apathy, gets you leaders like GW Bush.

His father was lightyears ahead of him in leading. GW Jnr was simply a very useful puppet for the people with money.

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
Actually my comment about Haggard is on topic.

He was GW`s right hand religious consultant. Haggard commanded the loyalty of 45 000 churches in America!!! He was also very strong against evolution and homosexuality.

Then Haggard was caught doing meths and a male prostitute... cliche!

Phronesis

Expert Member
And this?
About the most honest thing I have heard out of this idiots mouth.
Labeling him a liar and an idiot? Big words coming from a person that is so sensitive to insults. Ask yourself if you being hypocritical or not.
Is it possible you could have stated it differently? Try.

PeterCH

Honorary Master
I'm glad that the people who call GWB an idiot, don't do so because of jealousy in him making it that high up the social ladder.

Anyway, I personally think - judging what many analysts have said,
GWB was not really an idiot - in terms of foreign policy at least.
We can see Obama doing pretty much the same thing, ie he
is backing down from his election promises of withdrawing
troops from Iraq within his advertised time-frame. People need to
be more critical of politicians, they all speak with a forked tongue
and generally Obama is no worse or better than Bush IMO.

Certain things have to be done, and McCain, Bush, Kerry or Obama
they would have done them in more-or-less the same way.

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
And this?

Labeling him a liar and an idiot? Big words coming from a person that is so sensitive to insults. Ask yourself if you being hypocritical or not.
Is it possible you could have stated it differently? Try.
He totally is both a liar and and idiot. He is welcome to sue me.

Last edited:

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
I'm glad that the people who call GWB an idiot, don't do so because of jealousy in him making it that high up the social ladder.
Like I really want to aspire to be like him? Paaahlease. What am I.. the liberal with low self esteem?

Anyway, I personally think - judging what many analysts have said,
GWB was not really an idiot - in terms of foreign policy at least.
He started an illegal war which has really badly impacted the US economy.. in 8 years he got most of the world to hate Americans.. and he has pissed off the Russians in Eastern Europe. Like.. what where his good points? Lol. Sure bud.

We can see Obama doing pretty much the same thing, ie he
is backing down from his election promises of withdrawing
troops from Iraq within his advertised time-frame. People need to
be more critical of politicians, they all speak with a forked tongue
and generally Obama is no worse or better than Bush IMO.
Thanks for your opinion. I have being following the Obama campaign pretty closely.. I see the differences if you can not. Change.gov if you want to see them yourself.

Certain things have to be done, and McCain, Bush, Kerry or Obama
they would have done them in more-or-less the same way.
Certain things.. yes.. important things.. no. I cant subscribe to your view point at all.

PeterCH

Honorary Master
Actually my comment about Haggard is on topic.

He was GW`s right hand religious consultant. Haggard commanded the loyalty of 45 000 churches in America!!! He was also very strong against evolution and homosexuality.

Then Haggard was caught doing meths and a male prostitute... cliche!
You are calling the man an idiot because you disagree with his views?
(Views being - anti-evolution, anti-gay marriage, etc etc).

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
You are calling the man an idiot because you disagree with his views?
(Views being - anti-evolution, anti-gay marriage, etc etc).
Dude.. he doesnt even know his own views :p Im calling him an idiot because of his siff policies.. his lack of foresight and they way he has run down the american economy and reputation.

If you think his smart thats your thing. Good luck trying to find more than a handful of people who will agree with that POV.

As for Haggard... Haggard is also a LIER.. and BIG ONE!!!! He is an idiot for preaching anti gay stuff while buggering boys on meth... and if you dont accept evolution at this point I assume you are mentally lacking the ability to understand it.

PeterCH

Honorary Master
He started an illegal war which has really badly impacted the US economy.. in 8 years he got most of the world to hate Americans.. and he has pissed off the Russians in Eastern Europe. Like.. what where his good points? Lol. Sure bud.
The world has hated America for a very long time. The Russians have always hated America too and have always seen it as a competitor. In fact Clinton in bombing Kosovo and following the Germans and French and destroying
Serbia has pissed the Russians off far more than the invasion of Iraq.

Illegal war? Are wars ever legal? Maybe defensive ones are. However,
Bush did what was necessary. The Americans, and your liberal friends still believe this, believed that like the Germans and Japanese (and people of Eastern Europe), the liberated Iraqis would welcome western values
and Iraq would become a pro-West ally and a democracy. The Arabs however
prefer Theocracies. You know, Hamas won in the West Bank elections, too.

Thanks for your opinion. I have being following the Obama campaign pretty closely.. I see the differences if you can not. Change.gov if you want to see them yourself.
The Obama campaign at least in regards to the foreign policy seeks to withdraw from Iraq (for election purposes) and concentrate on Afganistan and Pakistan more - and many Muslims are unhappy about that. Secondly, Obama has recently backed down from his original election promises. You should see how angry the libertarians are right now about this. Anyway I posted a NYT article about this 2 days ago in the Current Affairs section.

Certain things.. yes.. important things.. no. I cant subscribe to your view point at all.
You don't have to. I'm rationalising why I believe GWB not to be an idiot in foreign policy terms. You can choose to follow anyone, however, as with Bush
and McCain, I would not trust Obama or any other politician as far as I can throw them. ;)

PeterCH

Honorary Master
Sure Pete. Thanks for your opinion.
So you believe GWB made Putin dislike America?

Look at the date: 2000.
CHINA: "Resignation: Yeltsin's Last Ace In The Hole"
Zhou Zunnan wrote in Beijing Youth Daily (Beijing Qingnianbao, 1/6): "Even though the United States and other Western countries have expressed their hopes to cooperate with Putin and improve the relationship with Russia, the recent anti-U.S. upsurge in Russia and disputes on issues like Chechnya, the ABM Treaty, and Caspian oil resources make it rather difficult for Putin to mend Russia's ties with the West before the presidential elections. However, it is also impossible for Putin to cause Russia's relationship with the West to deteriorate further, or resume a Cold War by openly confronting the West, because Russia still depends on the West for economic help."
DATE=6/9/99
TYPE=BACKGROUND REPORT
NUMBER=5-43612
TITLE=U-S-RUSSIAN RELATIONS
BYLINE=ED WARNER
DATELINE=WASHINGTON
CONTENT=
VOICED AT:

INTRO: THE EFFECT OF THE WAR IN KOSOVO ON U-S-RUSSIA RELATIONS
WAS DISCUSSED RECENTLY AT A WASHINGTON MEETING. THE DEBATE
CONCERNED THE AMOUNT OF DAMAGE TO TIES BETWEEN MOSCOW AND
WASHINGTON. CORRESPONDENT ED WARNER REPORTS THE DEBATE CONCLUDED
REBUILDING RELATIONS WILL BE A MAJOR TASK.

TEXT: IF U-S REPRESENTATIVE CURT WELDON HAS HIS WAY, CONGRESS
WILL HOLD A SERIES OF HEARINGS ON "WHO LOST RUSSIA?" AT A RECENT
MEETING OF THE HERITAGE FOUNDATION (TUES., JUNE 8), HE SAID THE
WAR IN KOSOVO HAS PROFOUNDLY ALIENATED RUSSIANS, INCLUDING SOME
OF AMERICA'S BEST FRIENDS IN THE COUNTRY.

A PRO-WESTERN MEMBER OF THE DUMA, THE RUSSIAN PARLIAMENT, TOLD
MR. WELDON THE BOMBING OF SERBIA HAS OUTRAGED RUSSIANS ACROSS THE
POLITICAL SPECTRUM:

// WELDON ACT //

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO UNDERSTAND THAT FOR 70-YEARS, THE
SOVIET COMMUNIST PARTY SPENT BILLIONS-AND-BILLIONS OF
DOLLARS TO CONVINCE THE RUSSIAN PEOPLE THAT AMERICANS
ARE EVIL AND THAT AMERICA IS EVIL, AND THEY FAILED. IN
40-DAYS OF BOMBING, THIS ADMINISTRATION HAS DONE WHAT
THE SOVIET COMMUNIST PARTY COULD NOT DO IN 70-YEARS.

// END ACT //

CONGRESSMAN WELDON SAID THE CLINTON ADMINISTRATION KEPT RUSSIA
OUT OF DECISIONS LEADING TO THE WAR BECAUSE IT ANTICIPATED A
QUICK VICTORY OVER SERBIA. BUT IN HIS OPINION, RUSSIA SHOULD
HAVE BEEN INVOLVED FROM THE BEGINNING AND PROBABLY COULD HAVE
HELPED FIND A WAY OF AVERTING THE CONFLICT.

NOW THE WAR HAS STRENGTHENED THE RUSSIAN COMMUNISTS AND
NATIONALISTS, WHILE WEAKENING THE PRO-WESTERN DEMOCRATS FOR THE
UPCOMING ELECTIONS IN DECEMBER. A LEADING MEMBER OF THE DUMA
PHONED MR. WELDON IN SOME ANXIETY:
http://www.fas.org/news/russia/1999/990609-rus2.htm
http://www.fas.org/news/russia/2000/wwwh9j14.htm

Last edited:

Phronesis

Expert Member
Dude.. he doesnt even know his own views :p Im calling him an idiot because of his siff policies.. his lack of foresight and they way he has run down the american economy and reputation.
He must be pretty damn smart if he invented ALL those policies on his own, even if they are not up to your brilliant standard of policy making. Oh wait... what policies are you inventing and endorsing?

and if you dont accept evolution at this point I assume you are mentally lacking the ability to understand it.
Feel free to show your understanding anytime soon. Understanding of evolution is not necessary for survival, otherwise 99.9% of everyone on earth (me included) and all animals are not going to make it. Seems beliefs are more important than understanding...