BUSINESS INSIDER | TECH Elon Musk says people need to work around 80 hours per week to change the world

ponder

Honorary Master
So 20 hours a day with a 5 day work week leaving 4 hours to sleep ... well less, because at some point during the day you need to prepare food and clean yourself and take care of pets/kids. So perhaps 1 - 2 hours of sleep. Elon .... you are fcked in the head and your sleep deprivation is clearly showing.

You still need to travel to and from work unless you're hot bunking in the companies onsite dormitories like the chinese....

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
You still need to travel to and from work unless you're hot bunking in the companies onsite dormitories like the chinese....

Indeed. Sounds like if it was up to Mr. Musk we would have our arses glued to our desk seats and be connected to IV feeding......and pipes connected to our assholes so we dont have to get up to go to the toilet.

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad
Indeed. Sounds like if it was up to Mr. Musk we would have our arses glued to our desk seats and be connected to IV feeding......and pipes connected to our assholes so we dont have to get up to go to the toilet.

For some reason I thought of that human centipede movie :eek:

noxibox

Honorary Master
Is he paying overtime? :unsure:
That's highly unlikely.

That's how Japan does it. Maybe Elon is turning Japanese. I really think so.
It's technically illegal in Japan and results in above average visits to the doctor. Luckily the cost of medical care is regulated.

But their whole culture is different. The relationship between employer and employee is something completely alien to the US mindset.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
So 20 hours a day with a 5 day work week leaving 4 hours to sleep ... well less, because at some point during the day you need to prepare food and clean yourself and take care of pets/kids. So perhaps 1 - 2 hours of sleep. Elon .... you are fcked in the head and your sleep deprivation is clearly showing.
He likely doesn't have pets. Not sure if he has kids.
Also he doesn't clean up after himself or do his own cooking.

I have been in the position of getting 3-4 hours sleep a night due to work pressure. The long term effects are not nice at all. The first thing to happen is you get persistent bouts of bacterial infections, then followed by sexual dysfunction..

WireFree

Here's another Business Insider article - https://www.businessinsider.com/carlos-slim-proposes-shorter-workweeks-2016-8

In case you did not know, Carlos Slim Helu is currently the 7th richest person in the World.

"Slim's vision for the ideal employee career path involves shorter hours but longer tenure. Instead of asking people to work 40-50 hours a week until they're 65, they could work fewer than 30 hours a week until they're 75."

Lindiswa

Expert Member
i am fine not changing the world! 80hrs per week is to much for me!

Kryptonite

Maybe working smarter is the actual key...........less meetings, more work that actually produces a viable outcome with a tangible measurement............

grok

Honorary Master
Charles Darwin worked 3-4 hours a day. I don't think it's how long you work, it's what you do in the time.
I wonder how many hours Zuma worked, and how many Guptas he served in that time?

oober

Expert Member
I think this applies to specific people who have a game changing vision and want to realize that. Think Bill Gates, Steve Jobs... We lowly pawns probably don't factor in here.

Although say you worked and wanted to study or start your own venture, you'd probably put in 60-100 hours each week to accomplish that if you are serious about it.

LPCPT

Of course it will change the world. All productive people will drop dead.
Guess what happens next?