Business owner being really unfair

cavedog

Honorary Master
Very quick summary of events.

I work in the workshop not in IT.

In mid march 2020 the internet and voice goes down. No one knows what to do so I take action and log faults with Telkom. Not my job but I rely on the internet too a bit for my mixing software.

Fault logged 4 days later Telkom comes back saying copper has been stolen and they aren't replacing it.
The I suggest to the owner that I do have a spare Huawei B618s-65d with Telkom uncapped simcard that I can borrow you so everyone can work and give you a chance to look for an alternative so no work is lost. I clearly stated in front of everyone the ROUTER and SIMCARD is NOT FOR SALE and is being borrowed to the company. They need to pay the R529.89 monthly fee for that. Nothing else just pay for what you use.

They agreed and everyone agreed.

Boom enter lockdown. I wanted to take my router and they refused to give it to me saying the company will pay the bills. I agreed and said pay the bills. They never did. Since mid March I have been paying the bill out of my own pocket while sitting at home not getting paid public holidays and them refusing to pay anything. I only earned the UIF from them in April. May 25 I did not even get 1c from the company. No public holidays I asked for my leave to be paid out so I can meet debt obligations they refused.

I went there to fetch my stuff they did not want to give it to me.

They are no longer taking my calls. They never paid it. ~R265 for March. R530 for April. R530 for May and since they still have it and using it R530 again starting next week for June.

Last edited:

Arthur

Honorary Master
That's absolutely disgusting. I cannot fathom what inner contortions people go through to stop their conscience from prickling them into honouring their word. I'd be so peeved that I'd immediately cancel the service - but the problem for you is that it's your boss and it might affect work. Maybe time to look for another job, which is a real challenge in this economy...

Have you sent him an invoice?

My sympathies, cavedog. If asking and persuasion don't help, then either write it off and make plans to leave, or keep on asking. For a while.

cavedog

Honorary Master
That's absolutely disgusting. I cannot fathom what inner contortions people go through to stop their conscience from prickling them into honouring their word. I'd be so peeved that I'd immediately cancel the service - but the problem for you is that it's your boss and it might affect work. Maybe time to look for another job, which is a real challenge in this economy...

Have you sent him an invoice?

My sympathies, cavedog. If asking and persuasion don't help, then either write it off and make plans to leave, or keep on asking. For a while.
There is another twist to this story. After this whole story I handed in my resignation as I had been offered another opportunity that I can not pass.

Now he refuses to accept this resignation letter saying my notice period only starts when we resume work on 8 June after which there will be short time and after the short time my notice period starts.

Arthur

Honorary Master
There is another twist to this story. After this whole story I handed in my resignation as I had been offered another opportunity that I can not pass.

Now he refuses to accept this resignation letter saying my notice period only starts when we resume work on 8 June after which there will be short time and after the short time my notice period starts.
I'm pretty sure he's out of line. You can hand in notice at any time, but the notice period is governed by your employment contract and of course statute. As you know, "30 days" and "calendar month" are not the same, so check what the contract says.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master

What a ****.

So you do not have access to the premises?

Cancel that internet and make a case of theft...finish en klaar.

cavedog

Honorary Master
What a ****.

So you do not have access to the premises?

Cancel that internet and make a case of theft...finish en klaar.
Nope. Worst is while I sit at home unpaid. All the admin staff working there using my internet is getting paid. Imagine that. They working on free internet paid by me while earning a salary and I sit at home with no salary and still pay for their bills.

Radioboy

I doubt he can decide when your notice starts. a calendar month/30 days is a calendar month/30 days whether we are in lockdown or not. You didn't stop being an employee when we entered lock down. Days spent in lockdown should still count as "days worked" - unless there is some sneaky clause in your contract.

I would give notice, and leave after that period has expired. Also, do a sim swap and report the device as stolen.

itsme2

Clearly this is bridge you need to burn. Act decisively and fiercely. Send them a final letter of demand for the return of your equipment and the refund (with invoices etc). Give them 24 hours to settle this.
If they don't respond, lay a charge immediately.
Include then, that on the basis of them and yourself being in a legal dispute, your contract is terminated with immediate effect.
But most of all, don't roll over. Stand up and moer them

Moosedrool

Executive Member
The theft thing is your ticket to get out. Use it.

there is no such thing as extended notice period because lockdown.

Arthur

Honorary Master
As an aside: Ignore the comments suggesting you report a theft.
It's not a theft. You freely and willingly delivered the device and allowed his use.
His failure to pay a debt is not theft but an account receivable issue. Reporting it as a theft is pointless and will go nowhere.
At best, your recourse is the Small Claims Court to get back the money, and CCMA for employment issue.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Just managed to get through to the lady that is supposed to pay me for the router. She is at work said the boss said he will pay me for the router I need to "stop moaning"

I'm furious. I know myself if I go there I will likely go to jail. :mad:

cavedog

Honorary Master
As an aside: Ignore the comments suggesting you report a theft.
It's not a theft. You freely and willingly delivered the device and allowed his use.
His failure to pay a debt is not theft but an account receivable issue.
Even if I asked for my property back now and said they no longer have my consent to use it?