Buying a 2nd hand car from a dealer

4cer

Expert Member
Hey Peeps!

Was just wondering, when buying a second hand car from a dealer, do they generally allow you to negotiate the price down a bit ? The price range im looking at is about R270k, so if it says R279 999 do you think i can get them to go down to 270 or 275?

Also are they going to charge that ludicrous R4k "on the road fees"? ill rather sort that out myself!

Thanks

HapticSimian

Honorary Master
'Course you can; depending on the make and model my first offer would be a lot less than R270k...

Ask for a breakdown of any additional fees and see whether they're reasonable. If you're paying cash most dealers would happily let you do the registration yourself, but keep in mind that they do carry some risk even then as they would be the current registered owner of the car.

Fazda

Honorary Master
'Course you can; depending on the make and model my first offer would be a lot less than R270k...

Ask for a breakdown of any additional fees and see whether they're reasonable. If you're paying cash most dealers would happily let you do the registration yourself, but keep in mind that they do carry some risk even then as they would be the current registered owner of the car.
Yes, a dealer would give you the papers, but you will have had the yellow form signed by them, and you have 21 days to get it into your name.

Bottom line is that it's usually easier to let them do the footwork, and provided the OTR fees are reasonable ( up to 3k and disclosure as to where the money's going) then I don't have a problem with them.

4cer

Expert Member
Its for an Alfa Giulietta :)

well i don't know how low i can low ball them, suppose worst they say is no :p but i will ask for a breakdown of the fees to see if its reasonable, that seems like the best idea.

Thanks guys

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Def can negotiate.. they will always price the car on the high side, and yes there are people who don't negotiate.. Hell I used to be one of them in my younger days. Now though, if a dealer won't negotiate I will go elsewhere (granted that is because I'm no longer in the realm of "I need this vehicle", so the price has to be right for me to be interested.)

4cer

Expert Member
ya i currently have a car, so its not like a rush, i just want to upgrade :)

cool ill rather aim low and see if he matches it or atleast meets me in the middle!

tRoN

Executive Member
Yes, a dealer would give you the papers, but you will have had the yellow form signed by them, and you have 21 days to get it into your name.

Bottom line is that it's usually easier to let them do the footwork, and provided the OTR fees are reasonable ( up to 3k and disclosure as to where the money's going) then I don't have a problem with them.
Why would these on the road fees cost R3k for a second hand car?

brucem

Why would these on the road fees cost R3k for a second hand car?
There are a fair number of factors: roadworthy and repair of anything unroadworthy, valet and clean, licence disc for a year, full tank of fuel, change of ownership. That said, they are negotiable.

If I could make a recommendation, I've bought my last 2 used cars through Zeda and been very impressed both times.

4cer

Expert Member
its a 1 year old car, doubt its unroadworthy :p but if he gives me a break down ill tell them what i think of the costs. If its just the change of ownership that costs about R400.

tRoN

Executive Member
There are a fair number of factors: roadworthy and repair of anything unroadworthy, valet and clean, licence disc for a year, full tank of fuel, change of ownership. That said, they are negotiable.

If I could make a recommendation, I've bought my last 2 used cars through Zeda and been very impressed both times.
But all that is already built into the selling price. Remember these dealers but waaay below trade and mark up well above retail value.

The car should be clean already, will have mats etc.
I think these fees are ridiculous. Just pay for the reg costs and number plates. U can fill up your own fuel.

M3mPh1z

Tell him you will pay R265 000 for the car + all registration fees,

He will probably counter a little above the R270 000 mark, then settle on your budgeted amount

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Tell him you will pay R265 000 for the car + all registration fees,

He will probably counter a little above the R270 000 mark, then settle on your budgeted amount
Jees.. a whole R5k off.. 2% (give or take)... you bargain hard.

I would start at R250k all in.

grim

Expert Member
When I bought my Golf 6 2nd hand I got them to give me an extra R10k trade in on my Polo and R10k discount on the Golf and had them include the OTR fees in the negotiated price.

They still probably made R30k in profit from the Golf and my Polo

bromster

Expert Member
Foreign Cars' values drop sharply once they become pre-owned. When I bought my Peugeot 207 diesel in ’09, it was a demo with 8k on the odo. Retail was R202500. I paid R135000. The on-road fee of R3k is average. This usually includes a R1140 admin fee for organising the finance. I have yet to figure out what I paid for exactly.

Don't be the guy that loses out. Let the dealer take the initial knock in the price, even if it means getting a car with a few more km on. Unless the car is new, bargain as hard as you can and play dealerships against each other. I actually became friends with the guy that sold me the car. He says they only made R2000 profit from me. Win!

4cer

Expert Member
looking at what they cost new and what they cost now, compared to their german rivals there isn't too much difference :)

I would never buy french though.. this from an alfa driver ;)

Ill let you all know how it goes tomorrow! The cheaper i get it the better obviously. They aren't organising my finance, i am already pre-approved by investec so that isn't an issue.