Buying a car from a dealership vs privately

johnspake

Hello People!

I am planning to buy a car in Cape Town in cash. I am not sure whether I should buy it from a dealership or privately. From what I have seen, buying privately will be a little cheaper. However, there may be some cons to it which I am not aware of.

Could someone please guide me on which option I should go with? What are the pros and cons of each?

This is my first car I am purchasing so I do not want to make any mistakes. I would really appreciate your input :)

Thanks!

TheChamp

Honorary Master
If it's your first car go with the dealership, it could be cheaper to buy privately but it's not worth the trouble when things go wrong, I am tired of the "I bought a car with no papers" threads.

unobeat

Not sure if you are buying new or 2nd.
But if you buying 2nd, do a bit of homework by getting the VIN number and go to the nearest dealership to get a print out of the Service record.

What car you buying btw?

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Go to dealership then you know you will get the paperwork and have somewhere to go when it goes wrong.

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
When they were legally obliged to fix a car you buy from them. Buy private and anything that is wrong with the car becomes your problem.

This is the concept but in practice it gets hazy. We were ripped off by a dodgy dealer who refused to repair a car within the 6 month window. In the end you need your car so you pay the money, I took it to court but the costs soon outweighed my out of pocket amount. Regret, move on, what else can you do?

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Hello People!

I am planning to buy a car in Cape Town in cash. I am not sure whether I should buy it from a dealership or privately. From what I have seen, buying privately will be a little cheaper. However, there may be some cons to it which I am not aware of.

Could someone please guide me on which option I should go with? What are the pros and cons of each?

This is my first car I am purchasing so I do not want to make any mistakes. I would really appreciate your input :)

Thanks!

If you know cars well, as in mechanically, and have the correct diagnostic equipment to check a car from head to tail lights, then by all means go private. If not, buy the peace of mind that comes with the legal recourse of buying from a dealer.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Yes, some dealers are crooks but I have been fortunate enough to deal with decent ones for all the cars I've bought, I am prepared the spend slightly more for the convenience and peace of mind, my last purchase was a cash buy and for R1200 extra they even registered the car for me, I have no time to stand in queues at the traffic department.

A private sale is fine when you know what you are doing, you are not supposed to be learning lessons when your hard earned money is at stake.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
All the horror stories of private sales from people who did not know what they were doing.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Definitely buy private if you want value for your money, but just do a little bit of research. Dealerships are a scam.

johnspake

Not sure if you are buying new or 2nd.
But if you buying 2nd, do a bit of homework by getting the VIN number and go to the nearest dealership to get a print out of the Service record.

What car you buying btw?
Thanks! I'm buying a Ford Figo.
What would the service record give me exactly? And would dealerships be willing to give out such information?

johnspake

If it's your first car go with the dealership, it could be cheaper to buy privately but it's not worth the trouble when things go wrong, I am tired of the "I bought a car with no papers" threads.
All the horror stories of private sales from people who did not know what they were doing.

Thanks!
I see the main (or only) problem with private deals is the papers. If I ensure the paperwork is in order, is it worth giving it a shot with a private buyer? From what I have seen, the price difference gets significant if you account the higher price of the vehicle of dealerships, on-the-road fees and the fact that I have to take out insurance (I don't intend on getting insurance for my vehicle).

johnspake

When they were legally obliged to fix a car you buy from them. Buy private and anything that is wrong with the car becomes your problem.
Don't I have to pay extra monthly fees to get a warranty from dealerships?

RedViking

Nord of the South
My first car I bought was private. Went to every single dealership and it made me sick the prices they charge and the amount of rubbish they talk. I got a lot of good advice form this forum.

Ended up getting a Hyundai Accent.

Still driving it in and could not be happier.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Thanks!
I see the main (or only) problem with private deals is the papers. If I ensure the paperwork is in order, is it worth giving it a shot with a private buyer? From what I have seen, the price difference gets significant if you account the higher price of the vehicle of dealerships, on-the-road fees and the fact that I have to take out insurance (I don't intend on getting insurance for my vehicle).
You don't have to take out insurance when you are buying the car cash, insurance is compulsory when the bank is financing you.

On the road fees are negotiable.

If you plan to go privately make sure that the car is mechanically sound, there is no going back on a private deal when something breaks, there is no CPA to protect you.

Check the service history on the service book. Check if there are no outstanding tickets otherwise you are not going to be able to register the car.

Lastly be safe, I don't know where will you be looking for these private sales, I prefer Auto Trader.

RedViking

Nord of the South
If you do decide to buy from a Stealership. Don't believe a WORD that comes from their mouths about the history of the car and what not. Treat it the same as a private buy. Get the car properly looked at and if possible take a friend with that knows what to look for. Dealerships will tell you anything so you take the vehicle.

If private. Be patient. Know your budget. Don't EVER feel pressured. Don't EVER feel pushed or rushed. If you are not comfortable for whatever reason, walk away. Check with some friends, check with a mechanic you trust. Make sure you have all the correct docs. Again, get a friend involved that knows something about the process. I used my car mechanic.