Buying a grey import from Junkmail - Thoughts?

BDG2010

Hi Guys,

So I can buy a Galaxy S3 sealed in the box, when I called the guy I asked if it was local stock and he said no it was grey stock but it's sealed in the box.

What are the pro's and con's of buying this phone? Surely it's just like the real thing only it's not covered by warranty?

The buyer sounds legit and I had a decent conversation with him on the phone.

Here is the Ad:

http://www.junkmail.co.za/hi-tech/m...orthcliff-randburg/samsung-galaxy-s3-27600869

Pooky

Garfield's Teddy
Yes it's like the real thing, just make sure it's for GSM networks i.e will work in SA. Won't have local warranty.

DO NOT EFT the money.

Meet the seller, INSPECT the phone, yes it's sealed but I wouldn't take a chance unless there's a way to verify that the phone inside is legit.

BDG2010

Yeah definitely, I'll take it out the box, put a micro sim in and make some calls etc...

Is there any other way to check if it is for GSM networks? Thanks for the help Pooky

Pooky

Garfield's Teddy
Yeah definitely, I'll take it out the box, put a micro sim in and make some calls etc...

Is there any other way to check if it is for GSM networks? Thanks for the help Pooky

The model number, a GSM one will be an i9300.

BDG2010

Awesome! So if the model number is correct, it makes calls and looks legit I should be okay hey? Do you know if I could still get this insured? I dont see why not if I have a GSM model number, my previous phone was bought 2nd hand and I still insured it, although it was local stock.

And would I be able to use this phone in europe? I know if it's local stock I could as they cant be locked but perhaps this one could be?

Pooky

Garfield's Teddy
Awesome! So if the model number is correct, it makes calls and looks legit I should be okay hey? Do you know if I could still get this insured? I dont see why not if I have a GSM model number, my previous phone was bought 2nd hand and I still insured it, although it was local stock.

And would I be able to use this phone in europe? I know if it's local stock I could as they cant be locked but perhaps this one could be?

It should be unlocked otherwise it wouldn't work on SA networks. You will probably be able to insure it, maybe someone else can confirm.

Just note that there are very good copies, make sure everything looks good before you buy it. Be VERY careful as it sometimes is almost impossible to tell the difference without careful consideration of things like the screen quality, camera quality, etc.

Sensorei

Executive Member
The only difference with grey import phones/electronics is that grey imports don't come into the country through the manufacturer's official distribution channels. No difference in quality but you won't get your warranty covered by Samsung SA either.

BDG2010

Just note that there are very good copies, make sure everything looks good before you buy it. Be VERY careful as it sometimes is almost impossible to tell the difference without careful consideration of things like the screen quality, camera quality, etc.

Yeah I've been to Bangkok ;) It's close to impossible to tell sometimes, but I'll ensure I scrutinize it properly. Thanks for the help! Appreciate it!

Dean

Expert Member
Hi Guys,

So I can buy a Galaxy S3 sealed in the box, when I called the guy I asked if it was local stock and he said no it was grey stock but it's sealed in the box.

What are the pro's and con's of buying this phone? Surely it's just like the real thing only it's not covered by warranty?

The buyer sounds legit and I had a decent conversation with him on the phone.

Here is the Ad:

http://www.junkmail.co.za/hi-tech/m...orthcliff-randburg/samsung-galaxy-s3-27600869

I have an S3 from Thailand - and I can say that literally the only difference is that Samsung SA won't cover the warranty.

Bare in mind that a large number of S3's have a defect (search Google for Brickbug) so make sure this isn't one of those (afaik no 32 or 64GB models are affected, only some 16GBs have the issue).

When you say you've been to Bangkok, fair enough, though my very technical mate who already had his own S3 was standing in a store in Bangkok using the S3, and he asked the shop keeper how he could tell it's genuine. His answer? It's fake.... and then he whipped out a genuine model. Even Android picked it up as an i9300 in the software.

Seriously - the only difference was the placement of the battery/sim card/sd card holder or similar.. it was IDENTICAL. I suggest looking online for specific known tells for SGS3 fakes, or you could get screwed.

Having said that, good luck, if all goes well you'll love it :)

maumau

Honorary Master
i don't go for grey imports personally, but if you do buy it good luck.

bullzeye.za

Expert Member
I bought an S2 a while ago from Gumtree, also a "grey import"

Turns out it was a phone bought on a contract, which the owner of the contract stopped paying for, and the phone was automatically blacklisted.

Nothing I could do to get it back online, phone now sits on my desk as a development device, and I had to buy another phone to use.

Just be careful, and make sure you get the original proof of purchase :)

BDG2010

Just thought I'd let you guys know, I've decided to get a second hand titanium grey version instead. It's local stock and the owner has proof of purchase etc.

It's scary how many of these "Special imports" are going around.

R4500 and the phone is 5 months old. Not a bad deal.

Dean

Expert Member
Just thought I'd let you guys know, I've decided to get a second hand titanium grey version instead. It's local stock and the owner has proof of purchase etc.

It's scary how many of these "Special imports" are going around.

R4500 and the phone is 5 months old. Not a bad deal.

Titanium grey.. if I'm not mistaken, the grey and black models are the i9305 (ie. the LTE version of the i9300) .. or am I mistaken?

Eiither way, well played and enjoy :)

DanH

Expert Member
Even if you have the proof of purchase and the contract owner decides to stop paying the contract. The phone will become be blacklisted.

LStock

The main difference with the grey imports is the support. I once bought the HDC i9300 which is an exact clone, even with same processor and ram, samsung branded etc... only to later realise it wasn't the real thing.

The biggest concern when buying off the forums is the blacklisting at a later date if the user stops paying the contract, claims insurance etc... The only way to prevent this is to request specific details from the user like address / ID etc so that you have some recourse (although difficult) in the event it does get blacklisted.

I'm trying to get rid of my Galaxy S3 Amber Brown but hesitant to get it up on the Gumtree and the like