Buying a house with fibre - Why you shouldn't trust the coverage map

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Buying a house with fibre - Why you shouldn't trust the coverage map

The presence of an Internet connection can be a major consideration for South African property buyers, especially considering the better performance and pricing offered by fibre compared to legacy technology.

This was true in the case of a MyBroadband reader who was looking at purchasing a home in Cape Town in July 2018.

Hellhound105

Expert Member
I must say, this is rather a first world problem. I can`t see anyone to blame here

lived666

Executive Member
I have two fibre cables in my street, one openserve and a new one I was told by MTN and I can't get fibre, go figure. Happy with LTE though so no biggy.

dunkyd

Expert Member
I have two fibre cables in my street, one openserve and a new one I was told by MTN and I can't get fibre, go figure. Happy with LTE though so no biggy.
My LTE is faster and perfect thanks....
Think fibre will soon be restricted to underground cables or another system will take over. Fibre is no biggy .

werny

Expert Member
LOL, when you're mad because you can't get fibre at your new house then you know you have way too much money and not enough other problems to worry about. Wish my only problem in life was not being able to get fibre... god that must be great! :cautious:

deweyzeph

Executive Member
If fibre was such a big deal for this guy you would have thought he wouldn't have signed anything until a gray box was firmly planted on the outside wall.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
Speak to the neighbors. This happened with more than one resident in my area (people in the road juuuuust past the coverage area) so they spoke to their neighbor on the border of the coverage area, paid a bit extra to the ISP for the trenching installation via the neighbor, and got their fiber.

My driveway is longer than 30m, and they (Link Africa installed my line at the time) did that for free.

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
'Buying a house with fibre'

And here I thought that if you had enough all bran flakes you can buy a house

Botha22

Think fibre will soon be restricted to underground cables or another system will take over. Fibre is no biggy .
Wait until more users connect to your LTE tower. Quality of service on LTE degrades way faster than on fibre.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
Your LTE is faster than fibre? I find that hard to believe, is it also more stable than fibre? better latency too Im assuming?

ThatGuy_ZA

Your LTE is faster than fibre? I find that hard to believe, is it also more stable than fibre? better latency too Im assuming?
An entry level LTE package will could easily have higher upload/download speeds than an entry level fibre package but LTE will likely be capped and have much higher latency.

Shadowchaser1

I have a fibre cable running 2 meters from my front wall from MTN. They only use it to connect their towers. Telkom has no fibre in my area, they are thinking about it, for the last 2 years.

BetaProject

I have a fibre cable running 2 meters from my front wall from MTN. They only use it to connect their towers. Telkom has no fibre in my area, they are thinking about it, for the last 2 years.
I have DFA as well as MTN fibre running next to AND in front of my house, with manholes for both within 2 meters of my wall, can't get fibre. Still using LTE, although smoke signals are sometimes faster.