Buying a new car : Why I'm not buying the world car of the year 2010 (Polo)

BCO

Honorary Master
Question: does the 1.4 Enjoy only have 2 airbags? Rules it out for my wife, if so.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
I think only the Sport models have 4 airbags, the rest are all dual airbag.

superskully

Expert Member
The masses might light VAGs or simply buy them because they have no minds and just do what the rest do. But perhaps Opel is on the right hand side of the bell curve, you know, along with Mercedes, Jaguar and other not so popular but excellent cars.

The new Jags are stunning (pity its out of my price range).
Merc is one of the top selling cars.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
My first car that I drove off a showroom floor was a Bantam 1600i. I know technically it was a Mazda but I still had lots of fun with it. The new Fiesta and Focus look pretty nice and the Ikon is a sweet deal if you want a sedan.

Brawler

Honorary Master
What about a Korean car?

Kia Cerato is very nice I am still keen on getting one. Also the Hyundai i20 but it seems a bit plain if that makes sense.

HapticSimian

Honorary Master
Shame, and to think I did actually also considered a Polo! Glad it was blown out of the water by Opel (again).

No... no, you really didn't. We all know you'd never show your face 'round these parts again. :p

Horses for courses, dude; the Corsa is a fairly decent cabbie. I'd gladly spend the bit extra for the Polo, though. I've driven both and I just found the Polo a much nicer drive. Granted, that was before the Corsa's new motors became available but a little extra power wouldn't fix what I didn't like about the Slopel.

Enjoy... no, wait... that's not the one you're getting...

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Got the car yesterday and I have to give credit to Reeds Tygervalley - they are very friendly and professional. If you are in Cape Town and looking to buy a GM car you should really give them a try. I have to admit I was quite distracted by the Chev Cruze, partly because of its looks and also because it rides on the new Astra platform. By the way - seems we will be getting the new Astra early in 2011 - should make a lot of VAG lovers realize there is live after a round of Golf.

Anyways, back to me, I am very impressed with the new Corsa. Not only the value for money (unbeatable, sorry Polow) but also the ride, quality and looks. I am sure the Polow has got an equally nice ride and the quality (or perceived quality) is very high in VWs. But when it comes to looks ... :D

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
In my defense, they took the photo and I had no other clean shirts except for the very orange iBurst one I got at the last myBB meet...

SDC10647.jpg

flarkit

Executive Member
Congratses Rouxenator, from another Opel fan here. I sold my 10-yr old Astra with some sadness.

What about a Korean car?

Kia Cerato is very nice I am still keen on getting one. Also the Hyundai i20 but it seems a bit plain if that makes sense.

And the Cerato 1.6 replaced my Astra after hunting for 5 weeks. Compare the car's specs (in terms of price, power, service plan, size, extras) against the Toyota Corolla, Chev Cruze and Ford Focus. The 2010 Cerato is a fantastic car IMO

Voicy

Honorary Master
Well done boet, I've been happy with both my slowpels. In my family we've had 4 opel hatches. The cub, the GSE kaddet, the 1.6 GSi and now my 1.8 GSi. The Kaddet's done over 300,000km and been in a major accident and still runs long distance with no hassle.

The biggest problem with opel is the engine far outlives the bodywork.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
That I can believe - my Astra with 174,000km on the clock is starting to show interior wear but the engine is still running beautifully.

flarkit

Executive Member

Absolutely true, Voicy. My Astra's engine was still sound and the original clutch was still perfect after 337000km too.