Buying a new car : Why I'm not buying the world car of the year 2010 (Polo)

Gnome

Executive Member
1.6 Sport 5dr R 224,400.00

Scary

Price is probably due to the fact that it's turbo charged. Same engine and transmission as the Corsa OPC as far as I know. Lower output tho (OPC is rated 141kW and GSi/Sport is rated 110kW). The only naturally aspirated model is the 1.4

Mypro-D

Expert Member
Correct!
I had one on the weekend, pretty nice. Better Ride than the Corsa OPC in my opinion. Astra still trumps them both though :)

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
The more I drive it the more I love the 1.4 - but it does stop going at 170km/h although it feels pretty solid doing that. The Lite I had before did not go beyond 160km/h and sounded pretty rough doing it. Of course I'm still holding onto my 2001 Astra 1.6 that feels rock solid on 190km/h.

Mypro-D

Expert Member
My dear old bat starts getting sketchy at around 225, Then its time to slow down :(

Lupus

Honorary Master
My old Astra which I sold last year was a 1997 model, 225 000 on the clock, everything went but the engine. I spent R9000 fixing the aircon and power steering, another 4k for the clutch and then 2k for the radiator, I bought a 2005 Polo to replace it and unfortunately I had to spend 4k for the steering rack, R2k for the brakes and R3.5k for the cambelt service at the 120k mark sigh it was an expensive year last year. But I do miss my Opel I really do, though the Polo is a lot more comfortable and economical on petrol

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Maybe you can still get a decent trade in on the Polo if you opt for a new Corsa :p

Lupus

Honorary Master
Nah it's cool, the wife would kill me, or steal the Corsa cause she was converted to an Opel fan. I remember her first time driving the Polo she was like blergh

Palimino

Expert Member
I did a little searching around and was surprised that my personal favorite, the Opel Corsa, is a much better deal than the oh so common Polo, the world car of the year 2010 I might add.

Yeah, but it’s plasticky. Like a jub-jub or something out of a lucky packet.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Guess I am very lucky then cause mine is solid and a much better deal than the those Polis and Yaros things that everyone drives.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
It’s evident from the colours and the ‘all show, no go’ ethic.

You don't by any chance drive a 1.4 Polo do you? I'll agree that the Polo is a no-show car. Even Car Magazine said its boring and bland (and they suck the tailpipe of anything VAG). But back to performance, if you do drive a 1.4 VAG I am glad to inform you that the 1.4 Corsa now has 74kw on tap (way more than VAGs) and it does go pretty nicely!

Iwojima

Expert Member
Rouxenator, let me just forewarn you that the new Opel Corsa is not one of the Opels of old. I had countless issues (quality related and mechanical) with my Corsa OPC culminating in me selling it last month and replacing it with an Audi...something I thought I'd never do, but glad I did.

Personally if I were in your shoes I'd steer clear of both options and get yourself Hyundai i20 1.6. More features than either the Corsa or Polo, 96kw on tap and one hell of a warranty/service plan. Very impressive for the price!

Last edited:

Gnome

Executive Member
91kW actually (Hyundai i20).

I think you might have gotten a rotten egg tho Iwojima, the Corsa OPC is supposedly one of Opel's most reliable cars, a fact they kept touting by doing things like running the Nuremberg ring for 24 hours without fault and all that load. Haven't really heard others have problems, then again I haven't owned one either (a bit above my pay grade).

Voicy

Honorary Master
Rouxenator, let me just forewarn you that the new Opel Corsa is not one of the Opels of old. I had countless issues (quality related and mechanical) with my Corsa OPC culminating in me selling it last month and replacing it with an Audi...something I thought I'd never do, but glad I did.

Personally if I were in your shoes I'd steer clear of both options and get yourself Hyundai i20 1.6. More features than either the Corsa or Polo, 96kw on tap and one hell of a warranty/service plan. Very impressive for the price!

What he said.

Also the i20 has an impressive interior:

http://www.rushlane.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/b310.jpg

Iwojima

Expert Member
91kW actually (Hyundai i20).

I think you might have gotten a rotten egg tho Iwojima, the Corsa OPC is supposedly one of Opel's most reliable cars, a fact they kept touting by doing things like running the Nuremberg ring for 24 hours without fault and all that load. Haven't really heard others have problems, then again I haven't owned one either (a bit above my pay grade).
There are many many problems that 90% of Corsa OPC owners have experienced or will experience in their first year of owning the vehicle incl. a blown aircon pipe and/or compressor, clutch return spring failure, door catch failure, window regulator replacement, wheel bearing failure, squealing brakes, leaking radiator, erratic idling, splitting leather seats, various interior body panel rattles, gearbox failure (less common)...etc

I've personally experienced all of the above in my year and half/16 000km of ownership and can name more than 10 other individuals that I know personally who have had the same issues (and more). One visit to the local OPC forum (http://opc.forumup.co.za/) or UK VXR forum (http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18) will give all the evidence you need :)

Don't get me wrong. It's a hell of a fun car when it's going 100%, but not something you want to keep past the 3 year warranty or buy for reliability/comfort/practicality.

Last edited:

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Luckily I did not get the OPC. As much as I love Opel I would feel really stupid if I paid more than R200k for a car in it has a badge saying "Corsa". I know Corsas have squealing brakes - actually named my Corsa Lite "squeaky" just to have a reason to live with the brakes.

My Essentia just hit 1000 KM tonight on a brisk run to Hermanus and back, one of my favorite routes for car testing. This is the same route where I fell in love with the i10 1.2, but the 74kw Corsa is something else! Who needs OPC when you can have this cheapie with 2 more doors? (I just keep on telling myself that).

Gnome

Executive Member
@ Iwojima: Ouch man. I read some threads on the local forum. The Corsa OPC is a real POS, best to stay away IMHO. It's sad really because the Astra H OPC was very reliable, hell even the locally made 200tS was very reliable (apart from the initial overheating issue they fixed by fitting a larger radiator, considering it was a locally developed car I don't think that's too bad).