Buying a new car : Why I'm not buying the world car of the year 2010 (Polo)

Iwojima

Expert Member
@ Iwojima: Ouch man. I read some threads on the local forum. The Corsa OPC is a real POS, best to stay away IMHO. It's sad really because the Astra H OPC was very reliable, hell even the locally made 200tS was very reliable (apart from the initial overheating issue they fixed by fitting a larger radiator, considering it was a locally developed car I don't think that's too bad).
The tS was and always will be a beaut of a car. While the Astra H OPC is indeed a far more reliable car than the Corsa OPC it unfortunately still suffers from issues with build quality, particularly with the interior bits.

Iwojima

Expert Member
Luckily I did not get the OPC. As much as I love Opel I would feel really stupid if I paid more than R200k for a car in it has a badge saying "Corsa". I know Corsas have squealing brakes - actually named my Corsa Lite "squeaky" just to have a reason to live with the brakes.

My Essentia just hit 1000 KM tonight on a brisk run to Hermanus and back, one of my favorite routes for car testing. This is the same route where I fell in love with the i10 1.2, but the 74kw Corsa is something else! Who needs OPC when you can have this cheapie with 2 more doors? (I just keep on telling myself that).
Unfortunately there are many parts that the non-performance Corsa models share with the OPC including the dodgy radiator, certain body panels, pedal assembly (complete with dodgy clutch return spring), door catches, window regulators and aircon.

While it may take longer for these to go wrong on a car that isn't subject to the same stress levels as the OPC I believe that they will eventually fail down the line, perhaps just out of the warranty period. I've confirmed this on two co-worker's cars: 1x Essentia with the aircon and clutch return spring issue and 1x Sport with a leaking radiator (discovered by myself while warning the owner about potential issues and checking her coolant levels).

Just as a side note about the clutch return spring issue: You cannot order the spring separately. An entirely new pedal cluster must be ordered and fitted. The cost (out of warranty).....>R5000 :(

Last edited:

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
As far as interior goes, the Lite that I had from Feb to Jun had no interior issues - then again I only had from 50,000km to 54,000km. My Astra G on the other hand is now past 175,000 and the interior is no longer what is was when I got the car 6 years ago with 30,000km on. But considering the price I paid I have to say it is excellent value for money, and the same goes for the new Corsa. I got it for a good price so if it gets some rattles after 100,000km I guess thats fine.

Iwojima

Expert Member
As far as interior goes, the Lite that I had from Feb to Jun had no interior issues - then again I only had from 50,000km to 54,000km. My Astra G on the other hand is now past 175,000 and the interior is no longer what is was when I got the car 6 years ago with 30,000km on. But considering the price I paid I have to say it is excellent value for money, and the same goes for the new Corsa. I got it for a good price so if it gets some rattles after 100,000km I guess thats fine.
We're not just talking rattles, mate. Check my post above re shared parts and out of warranty costs.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
As soon as the car goes out of warranty I will have it serviced at mt local Bosch approved shop. I have dealt with coolant leaks and aircon issues on my Astra before so for me it won't be anything I can't handle. However I doubt that I will have those troubles anytime soon and if does happen after a reasonable period of time then so be it.

Stokstert

Executive Member

Hehe, Opel eienaars is maar met min tevrede en dan het hulle altyd iets teen VW te sê. Het nie een van bogenoemde probleme tot nou op my 20 jarige Jetta gehad. :p

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
:D Dis juis van jare se VW probleme dat ek nie omgee vir sulke "klein" probleme met 'n Opel nie. Plus, die VWs van daai tyd was alles behalwe drivers cars.

syntax

Executive Member
The tS was and always will be a beaut of a car. While the Astra H OPC is indeed a far more reliable car than the Corsa OPC it unfortunately still suffers from issues with build quality, particularly with the interior bits.

i owned a Ts and a superboss...the superboss was by far the best opel ever made....The TS constantly felt "frail" to me, even with the larger radiator, it still had heating issues...I had everything go wrong with that car, from gearbox,clutch, steering, ..... its actually the reason i stopped buying performance cars and bought a honda....

Dolby

Honorary Master
Iwojima - sorry to hear :/

I remember you buying the car initially and posting on this forum

Iwojima

Expert Member
Iwojima - sorry to hear :/

I remember you buying the car initially and posting on this forum

Ag, it was a fun vehicle while it lasted. Sadly after all that crap I reached a point where I had no faith in the car. Even the smallest odd occurrence would cause me to manically start searching for the cause just in case I could nip anything in the bud before it became a big problem. You can't enjoy a car when you're at a point where the next issue is a "when" rather than an "if".

Gnome

Executive Member
i owned a Ts and a superboss...the superboss was by far the best opel ever made....The TS constantly felt "frail" to me, even with the larger radiator, it still had heating issues...I had everything go wrong with that car, from gearbox,clutch, steering, ..... its actually the reason i stopped buying performance cars and bought a honda....

Haven't heard that from others, I know quite a few tS owners, some just got bigger radiators, I don't really hear about them over heating anymore (that said they don't usually have OEM radiators anymore) but there aren't many around anymore (most are written off). The only problems I've heard of with regards to steering is that the car's torque steer makes it very difficult/dangerous to drive unless you are careful (because of the limited slip differential you need to put extra effort into pulling the steering straight if it does go off).

Clutch haven't seen/heard about one going before, not on a standard engine, most people did modify their 200tS's tho because increasing boost requires a 10 spanner on the 200tS.

Same for the gearbox, both the engine, C20LET, and the gearbox GETRAG F28 were taken directly from the Opel Calibra Turbo (sold in the UK). The only differences between the Opel Calibra Turbo and the 200tS is the Calibra was 4wd, but the F28 rear output shaft is simply disconnected and a limited slip differential was added instead of the standard differential. Probably the radiator is different also since it's not the same dimensions as the Calibra. I haven't ever heard of a F28 breaking, there are guys on the OOC forum that run Opel 2litre engines (Turbo charged, either a modified C20LET or C20XE) in excess of 200kw (up to 350kW for the most powerful engines, close to 600Nm torque), all of them running F28, none have failed. What I have heard is that the synchro on 1st/2nd can get dodgy when the transmission is abused (IE. constant red line up and down shifting) and the limited slip differential on the F28 is a clutch type LSD which can eventually go if the clutches are worn out, unlike the Superboss that had a gear type LSD (which requires no maintenance). GETRAG transmissions are used by many German companies (among cars fitted with them, Audi RS4, BMW M6, many others, so it's not like Opel chose some obscure gearbox manufacturer).

I'm not saying your story is false, I'm saying I think you were the minority.

Last edited: