Hemps

Honorary Master

SynicalFox

I'm not trying to pushy or anything but if you guys have any sense you'll listen to me.
I have produced music for well over 13 years and have experience with quite a few different sets of cans.

Superlux is the only option at that budget.
They compare to headphones in the R4000 range due to their drivers.
hey man. these actually look really great. just not sure on how comfortably they will be.

I was planning on going to the our mall to test the sennehisers and or others. sennheiser seem to be popular. I love bass in music and don't kind if it is emphasised just lust be lacking.

love lockdown by Kanye West has a lot. of low end. listen to that and let me know if the bass is there or not in the superlux.

SynicalFox

To the other replies in general.

seems the sennheisers are very popular and have great reviews.

thanks for all the opinions.

TehStranger

Executive Member
I'm not trying to pushy or anything but if you guys have any sense you'll listen to me.
I have produced music for well over 13 years and have experience with quite a few different sets of cans.

Superlux is the only option at that budget.
They compare to headphones in the R4000 range due to their drivers.

Please feel free to expand a bit more on this, I'm interested.

SynicalFox

[quote name="Electric" post=16285128]Superlux are the only headphone to get on a budget.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/202710212/Superlux_Professional_Monitoring_Headphones.html

I have used that link before and purchased from Terrys before.[/QUOTE]

[quote name="Pitbull" post=16285624]Saw these this morning on MyBB.

Looks interesting and cheap. No idea about the make though :eek:
http://www.dbg.co.za/product_info.php?products_id=1134[/QUOTE]

wow both these headphones are great. I'm now stuck on whether I should get the Bluetooth wireless ones from Minix or the Superlux. having Wi-Fi headphones seems great but I don't know if it's necessary. there are solid reviews of both of these headphones.

the Superlux hd681 is said to have harsh highs. I'm not one for the high end. I prefer bass more. I'm thinking if getting the Superlux hd681 EVO

Last edited:

SynicalFox

Hello. I would like to update my findings. I have read lots of reviews of the:
Superlux hd681
Superlux hd681 evo

they have great reviews and seem to be the best earphones at this budget as Electric said.

my only problem is they are rated semi-open and so leak sound and don't isolate outside sound/noise. I would like to ask Electric to give a review of his experience with his genre of music. it would be great if you could post it on a forum so others can see it.

I also would like to know if you've heard of modding thise superlux headphones?

SynicalFox

This thread can be closed. I bought a pair of sennheiser HD 419 and they are really great. I got no reply on the superlux and was too weary to try them.

bigboy529

Expert Member
Nice buy, you can't go wrong with Sennheiser enjoy them. I'm a audio professional and have 3 pairs of Sennheisers ranging from cheaper to much more expensive models, my dream cans is the Sennheiser HD800, but they sell for someware around R10 k.

Electric

Honorary Master

Yes, very decent.
Like I said, if budget is a concern then Superlux is the way to go, hands down.
They have very good drivers in them, essentially re-branded presonus drivers.

You'll be hard pressed to find headphones that compare to Superlux at the price.
You can mod them by adding a small filter and you'll be on par with a R6000 headphones.
As they are out of the box though they are very good.

Electric

Honorary Master
the Superlux hd681 is said to have harsh highs. I'm not one for the high end. I prefer bass more. I'm thinking if getting the Superlux hd681 EVO

I have Beyerdynamic DT990 and they are also supposedly a bit harsh on the highs, I haven't noticed this after 5 years.
The Superlux are not as pronounced on the highs so I can't imagine them being close to the Beyers.
Bass wise the Superlux are closed backed and have very low drivers.
Excellent bass response from them.

SynicalFox

Nice buy, you can't go wrong with Sennheiser enjoy them. I'm a audio professional and have 3 pairs of Sennheisers ranging from cheaper to much more expensive models, my dream cans is the Sennheiser HD800, but they sell for someware around R10 k.
thanks man. yeah I can't imagine blowing R10000 up on a pair of headphones. someday maybe I will be able to. the HD 419 are really great. I havnt listened to anything of higher quality so to me these headphones are great. they have enough bass present to not drown out the mids and highs

SynicalFox

Yes, very decent.
Like I said, if budget is a concern then Superlux is the way to go, hands down.
They have very good drivers in them, essentially re-branded presonus drivers.

You'll be hard pressed to find headphones that compare to Superlux at the price.
You can mod them by adding a small filter and you'll be on par with a R6000 headphones.
As they are out of the box though they are very good.
moding voids warranty.

SynicalFox

I have Beyerdynamic DT990 and they are also supposedly a bit harsh on the highs, I haven't noticed this after 5 years.
The Superlux are not as pronounced on the highs so I can't imagine them being close to the Beyers.
Bass wise the Superlux are closed backed and have very low drivers.
Excellent bass response from them.
I hadn't received a response yet and I'm weary of not having warranty support. I mean it would still cost R500 + and I paid R700 where I could see the headphones and it has a 2 year warranty. I will try the superlux when I get cash. they are semi-open not closed back. I read tonnes of reviews on them saying it is open-back.

Electric

Honorary Master
hey man. these actually look really great. just not sure on how comfortably they will be.

I was planning on going to the our mall to test the sennehisers and or others. sennheiser seem to be popular. I love bass in music and don't kind if it is emphasised just lust be lacking.

love lockdown by Kanye West has a lot. of low end. listen to that and let me know if the bass is there or not in the superlux.

I produce Bass music and have done so for 15 or so years.
I've produced Techno to Dark psy to Psycore to Dubstep to House.

Superlux has a very defined solid thump and a deep low end.
Excellent reproduction of bass tones when compared to DT770 Closed back for example.

Please feel free to expand a bit more on this, I'm interested.

They are essentially using high end drivers that are comparable to headphones in the range of R3000 and upward.
Presonus rebranded drivers as far as I know.
Styled after the AKG K240 range.

Hello. I would like to update my findings. I have read lots of reviews of the:
Superlux hd681
Superlux hd681 evo

they have great reviews and seem to be the best earphones at this budget as Electric said.

my only problem is they are rated semi-open and so leak sound and don't isolate outside sound/noise. I would like to ask Electric to give a review of his experience with his genre of music. it would be great if you could post it on a forum so others can see it.

I also would like to know if you've heard of modding thise superlux headphones?

You get a few mods for this for cheap.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/546556/superlux-express-train

I have open backed DT990 headphones and they are just fine regarding sound isolation.
Then again, I don't use them in a loud environment.
Semi open has a smaller sound stage and isolates way more than open backed so I reckon you'll be fine with the sound isolation.

The one bonus is that these headphones don't require amplification like other higher end headphones.
My DT990 require an amp to power them which is an additional cost.

Electric

Honorary Master
Better than my HD 650s? Lol. I very much doubt this, but would love you to provide some links.

I said on par, I never said better.
But please, put some more words in my mouth if you want.
I clearly said on a budget as well.