bigboy529

Expert Member
I said on par, I never said better.
But please, put some more words in my mouth if you want.
I clearly said on a budget as well.

I can't see how they can even be on par with the HD650s, the HD650 is a great pair of cans, very few comes close, especially something which is a lot cheaper.
BTW I didn't only read about the HD650s, I owned a pair for 3 or so years before it got stolen.

Electric

Honorary Master
I can't see how they can even be on par with the HD650s, the HD650 is a great pair of cans, very few comes close, especially something which is a lot cheaper.
BTW I didn't only read about the HD650s, I owned a pair for 3 or so years before it got stolen.

Where did I say they will come close to a pair of HD650?
I have Beyerdynamic DT990 and the Superlux don't come close to those either.
But I didn't say they did.
You guys assume a lot here.

The original point of my statements, if you go and check, was that on a budget the Superlux are superb headphones, comparable to many higher end headphones due to their superior drivers.

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
Where did I say they will come close to a pair of HD650?
I have Beyerdynamic DT990 and the Superlux don't come close to those either.
But I didn't say they did.
You guys assume a lot here.

The original point of my statements, if you go and check, was that on a budget the Superlux are superb headphones, comparable to many higher end headphones due to their superior drivers.

...You can mod them by adding a small filter and you'll be on par with a R6000 headphones...

HD 650s are R6,000 headphones.

SynicalFox

the 668B look very good and are only R1400. I only needed headphones for music listening and the sennheisers are perfect for that. they are lightweight and have a long enough cable to reach most things without being to long.

Last edited:

PostmanPot

Honorary Master

Thanks. I only really see discussion about the mod (can't waste time trawling through all the pages), and comment that they are up there with the name brands.

Fair enough though, very good headphones for the price, yes.

lestoran

Hey Electric

Happen to be in the market for new Headphones soon and you just introduced me to a good option - thanks.

What DAC/Amp out there do you think would be a good match for these headphones? Suspect my Macbook DAC, Fiio E6 AMP combo which works well with +- R700 Sennheiser's may hold them back somewhat.

Electric

Honorary Master
Hey Electric

Happen to be in the market for new Headphones soon and you just introduced me to a good option - thanks.

What DAC/Amp out there do you think would be a good match for these headphones? Suspect my Macbook DAC, Fiio E6 AMP combo which works well with +- R700 Sennheiser's may hold them back somewhat.

Are you referring to the Superlux?
If so then that combo will be just fine.

If you don't have a amp, aim for 32ohms or lower
If you have a good headphone amp, go under 250ohms
If you have a powerful one, it's nice to hang around the 600ohm+ cans.

Electric

Honorary Master
Thanks. I only really see discussion about the mod (can't waste time trawling through all the pages), and comment that they are up there with the name brands.

Most of this is anecdotal, I'll admit.
But that doesn't lessen the actual evidence.
Headfi, rockgrotto and similar sites are audiophile forums where most of the anecdotal evidence can be trusted.
Personal experience also plays a part.

lestoran

Are you referring to the Superlux?
If so then that combo will be just fine.

Great thats a bit of money saved right there! Guess the whole "you need an expensive USB DAC/AMP for proper sound" is a bit overblown.

crysis

Expert Member

Read this.

http://lifehacker.com/ive-found-my-holy-grail-of-headphones-the-akg-q701-1734730242

The Superlux HD 681 ($30) and HD 668B ($40) are both clones of AKG models, and the 681 is one of the best sub-$50 headphones I’ve ever heard.

Last edited:

Electric

Honorary Master
is there a version of this Locally, specifically the rechargeable version as im not always using a Laptop for the headphones?
not so keen on paying Taxes and such upon entry to SA

I bought it from the US and paid no extra customs charge.
You can actually buy almost everything locally though.

https://www.jdslabs.com/products/76/cmoybb-diy-kit-rechargeable/

There are multiple guides online as well.

You could always go the ebay route and mount it into a tin yourself.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OPA2604-x-2-Headphone-Amp-kits-CMOY-/250905505855

Ocali

Expert Member
I bought it from the US and paid no extra customs charge.
You can actually buy almost everything locally though.

https://www.jdslabs.com/products/76/cmoybb-diy-kit-rechargeable/

There are multiple guides online as well.

You could always go the ebay route and mount it into a tin yourself.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OPA2604-x-2-Headphone-Amp-kits-CMOY-/250905505855

cool thanks.. let me get the headphones first(buying the superlux as u have recommended).

so you reckon i probably wont have to pay any customs charges if i ordered from the JDS site. i might just got down that route.

morkhans

A MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I have a fiio E10 that i was very impressed with. Really good bang for buck. They get good reviews.