Buying a PS4 in Hong Kong to bring it back to South Africa

mdross88

Hi everyone,

I'm travelling to Hong Kong next month and am thinking of buying a PS4 to bring back (I see they aren't area-locked so should be fine). Just wanted to post on here to get some advice as I am by no means an expert at any of this. General questions which I'd appreciate any advice on...

1. This is legal right??
2. I know electronics are cheaper across there, reckon the admin is worth it still?
3. Taxes and rules for bringing it back? A mate mentioned I should unbox it there and bring it back as 'not-new' (just claim I can't live without my PS4 and took it with me on holiday)?
4. Tips and tricks and just any advice.

I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
Be aware that x and circle are swapped around in asian countries. not on the controllers, but in the games when they detected you have an asian console.

I think they are region 1/a so SA blu rays won't work unless they are region free.

mdross88

Oh hectic, didn't realise that. Not a deal breaker but that is admin. Don't watch Blu-rays etc, so not too worried about that. Thanks for your insights! Really appreciated. Gonna have to think about that and keep it in mind. I wonder if they have options for that.

Batista

Executive Member
How much will you be saving though? Do you have a place in mind to buy it already?

mdross88

Hi Batista,

The mate I'm staying with lives in Sham Shui Po which is where the famous 'Golden Computer Market' is. He is gonna do all the research for me so if there's a good deal I'm literally gonna walk into the shop where it'll have been set aside and pick it up. I will only buy it if it's a big saving (but hear that the games especially are much cheaper, like 2/3rds the price). I just figured I'd start getting my ducks in a row in case he finds there is a really good deal.

Sensorei

Executive Member
You're looking for trouble if you're planning on bringing it back through customs without declaring it. Especially since you're coming from Hong Kong. Customs will confiscate it until you show proof where it was purchased. You are meant to declare goods like this that you plan on taking on holiday before you leave. Customs record the serial number and give you a receipt to show when you return.

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
Oh hectic, didn't realise that. Not a deal breaker but that is admin. Don't watch Blu-rays etc, so not too worried about that. Thanks for your insights! Really appreciated. Gonna have to think about that and keep it in mind. I wonder if they have options for that.

My one friend did what you are planning so that's how I know. Incredibly irritating. Apparently in asian cultures O is accept and X back, Opposite to western cultures.

Fox1

Executive Member
With the niggles and failures some of my friends have experienced with the PS4, I would opt for a local one with local support.

kianm

Honorary Master
You're looking for trouble if you're planning on bringing it back through customs without declaring it. Especially since you're coming from Hong Kong. Customs will confiscate it until you show proof where it was purchased. You are meant to declare goods like this that you plan on taking on holiday before you leave. Customs record the serial number and give you a receipt to show when you return.
I am not sure if it's Hong Kong which would complicate this but i got mine from the states and a lady managed to bring it through without a problem no declaration no nothing it was just unpacked and part of her hand luggage. When asked about it she just said it's hers and it's used. Huge saving

Sensorei

Executive Member
I am not sure if it's Hong Kong which would complicate this but i got mine from the states and a lady managed to bring it through without a problem no declaration no nothing it was just unpacked and part of her hand luggage. When asked about it she just said it's hers and it's used. Huge saving

Yes but the problem comes if customs do inspect your luggage. It has to be declared or they will confiscate it and fine you on top of the duties and VAT. I import stuff for a living.

Space_Chief

Honorary Master
Yes but the problem comes if customs do inspect your luggage. It has to be declared or they will confiscate it and fine you on top of the duties and VAT. I import stuff for a living.

I've heard of people caught at customs at the airport. But no-one ever had to pay a fine. The worst they did was levy the actual charge that should have been paid. Note that SA customs is among the worst in the world. This is a holdover from apartheid days and is just a way to steal more money from people. Other customs services are not this hardcore, and in general few people ever get pulled over for inspections overseas. SA is fscked up from that perspective too.

Definitely the customs which inspect incoming parcels don't fine you if the item has an incorrect declaration and you declare it correctly when they demand an invoice.

I gather the fines occur for very expensive items or mass imports. Like if you bring in 50 watches or 10 PS4s.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Isn't there some basic limit like R5000 per person anyway that is duty free?

mdross88

Hi everyone, thanks so much for your replies (new to this and didn't know what to expect, this has been hugely helpful). Seems its a hit or miss as to getting it back without hassles or not. SauRoNZA, I do think that is correct. You're allowed R5000 duty free and a further R20000 on top of that which you are allowed a flat charge of 20%, so in theory it should be fine, but as Sensorei mentioned above, he thinks there may be issues and he's in that business... hmmmm. My mate from HK replied and said they are on sale at approx. R4200 (not sure the details) and that's already a big saving but ya, must just decide if its worth the risks. Thanks for all you insights, really do appreciate it.

Space_Chief

Honorary Master
Isn't there some basic limit like R5000 per person anyway that is duty free?

Does that include the stuff in your suitcase (clothes, shoes, accessories) and the value of the suitcase itself? Or is it for news stuff brought in?

mdross88

Does that include the stuff in your suitcase (clothes, shoes, accessories) and the value of the suitcase itself? Or is it for news stuff brought in?

I was also wondering that, but surely it can't be stuff that was already there? I mean if you take your smart phone on holiday you're already over the limit? Unless you need to prove what you went with, but that seems way too complicated.

Bighit

Expert Member
If you're looking for a cheap PS4, I see the orange online store has it for under R5600.

ponder

Honorary Master
Hi Batista,

The mate I'm staying with lives in Sham Shui Po which is where the famous 'Golden Computer Market' is. He is gonna do all the research for me so if there's a good deal I'm literally gonna walk into the shop where it'll have been set aside and pick it up. I will only buy it if it's a big saving (but hear that the games especially are much cheaper, like 2/3rds the price). I just figured I'd start getting my ducks in a row in case he finds there is a really good deal.

You will probably be able to get EU models there as well.

Space_Chief

Honorary Master
I was also wondering that, but surely it can't be stuff that was already there? I mean if you take your smart phone on holiday you're already over the limit? Unless you need to prove what you went with, but that seems way too complicated.

You declare all your stuff with serial numbers before leaving SA. Now customs guys are actually saying, if you have one phone, don't worry. So this may be the non-serial number stuff, such as your clothing, shoes, etc. It's not like they're saying you can buy R5000 worth of stuff duty and VAT free.