Buying a recovered stolen car?

Rendier

Expert Member
Hi there,

I would just like to know what the drawbacks are of buying a recovered stolen car. He has priced it far below market value. The person that is selling it is reputable and he was bought the car at an auction. The car is not a code 3. From what I understand it does seem that VW revoked the warranty on the car but not sure if that is related to Polo warranties etc. I have seen the car and it's packed full of extra's and looks amazing. As stated it's not a code 3 and appears as a normal car on paper. It's the first time that I am looking into buying this type of car so would appreciate any feedback. Thanks

Venomous

Honorary Master
Seller must provide police clearance before you even consider a R50 deposit, firstly.

Voicy

Honorary Master
Go for it.

And WHEN it bites you in the ass, please come back and tell us about it, but make sure it's on a Friday.

RichardG

Honorary Master
Seller must provide police clearance before you even consider a R50 deposit, firstly.

Agreed! What a nightmare I had, bought the carbon auction - the police confiscated the car , but got it back

Rendier

Expert Member
I think you guys don't understand. He is selling a car that was stolen but then recovered by the police that went on auction that he won. And now he wants to sell it.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Hi there,

I would just like to know what the drawbacks are of buying a recovered stolen car. He has priced it far below market value. The person that is selling it is reputable and he was bought the car at an auction. The car is not a code 3. From what I understand it does seem that VW revoked the warranty on the car but not sure if that is related to Polo warranties etc. I have seen the car and it's packed full of extra's and looks amazing. As stated it's not a code 3 and appears as a normal car on paper. It's the first time that I am looking into buying this type of car so would appreciate any feedback. Thanks
/awaits Roux

naeem

Expert Member
make sure its Code 2. And try to avoid AAPV numbers - basically the VIN number has been changed to a new number issued by SAPS.

Yes there are stolen/recovered vehicles where the numbers have not been changed (We've bought a few like this)

If it was at an auction, I'm assuming this was via SMD.co.za ?

saturnz

Honorary Master
get police clearance before giving any money out

also specifically state in the contract of sale that if the car is indeed stolen and found to be so that you have recourse against the seller, that way both parties are clear on the legal standing if things go wrong.

Colin62

Executive Member
It's a bit of a gamble - you can score quite nicely, but if there is the potential to lose money too, if the paperwork isn't 100% correct. So my advice is treat it like any other gambling - if you can afford to lose the money, then take a shot. If you can't afford to take the hit, rather be more conservative and buy something else.

ice_cubes

Executive Member
Came across this thread now. Just want to find out. I saw a car thats described as *with AAPV numbers* on the smd website. Is it a good idea to buy it should i leave it? Its in excellent condition with 12 000km mileage

Creag

The Boar's Rock
Came across this thread now. Just want to find out. I saw a car thats described as *with AAPV numbers* on the smd website. Is it a good idea to buy it should i leave it? Its in excellent condition with 12 000km mileage
Resale value can be an issue. Make sure the VIN on car is clear, legible and above board. You don't want to be in a road block having to explain things if it doesn't look right.

blowdart18

AAPV number is perfectly legit no problem there, like mentioned above your resale value might take a tank.

Think of it this way:

1. All the service history the car had is no longer there, possibly due to the fact that the car was stolen and the original chassis number was grinded off.
2. As per above, no previous owner history so you don't know what it has gone through
3. There is no warranty or service history on the car anymore - repairs and services now at your expense.

Otherwise as another user mentioned, if you have the bucks and willing to take a gamble it might turn out to be a sweet ride that doesn't give you problems, on the other hand with no warranty . . . . repairs can bite you in the butt.

On a side note when I still worked at Audi, even with AAPV numbers we were still able to interrogate the control units via the computer and get the original chassis number. And probably 7/10 times that 12 000km millage car actually had a lot more millage, in the range of 75k to 90k.