Buying a smart TV vs a non-smart TV with a media box

Emjay

Honorary Master
Are the Skyworths any good?

Rather just go for a decent TV and buy a separate streaming box. We have a number of "smart" TVs and they are very, very badly supported. To the point where updates stop and it becomes impossible to update apps. My mom has a Skyworth, and it is slow as hell. Netflix is not available on her TV as apparently Skyworth has not done their homework to open up their TV to the app (or however it works). There is a way, but is is a massive hassle, and we probably will not be able to update the app. The display is not bad, but I wouldn't get them for the "smart" capability.

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
If the pub is serving Guinness and showing the Rugga I don't give a hoot about what TV or **** thingamajig they are using.
And when I get home I can watch the highlights on YouTube.

Dolby

Honorary Master
Samsung is good if you like oversaturated colours, I prefer accuracy so I would take an LG all day.
They have this bar called 'saturation' when you can actually change this to whatever you want.

They also have Filmmaker mode

Anyway, tough to give a sweeping statement like that because they make some pretty cracking TVs for the price. I think the best TV right now is a Samsung, albeit it expensive.

Dolby

Honorary Master
TV's are only 'smart' for a very short time, and then they fall behind the streaming boxes.

When was the last time Samsung's Tizen OS and integrated apps received updates?

Chromecast with Google TV ftw.
I think Tizen is pretty decent - and they update much more than you think. I think it's 2 to 3 years now. The apps internal apps are also updated fairly often too

When l bought my current TV back in 2019, I had YouTube HDR, Google Movies, Amazon HDR10+, Netflix with Atmos and Apple TV. There wasn't a single streamer that should do all of those

It's probably faster than the S905X media streamers as well, and far more convenient to use.

While I'm not disagreeing with you, the 'short term' has become longer before you need to go dedicated

EDIT : I found a number of apps updated in 2022. I see the Netflix UI Build is June 2022

Last edited:

klipdrifter

Goodbye DSTV you say. I would love to know what your alternative is for Sport. I've tried ESPN+ and for golf it sucks balls. If your not a sport lover I believe you could of said goodbye to DSTV a while ago already but when it comes to reliable sport I see DSTV as the only option and I hate to say it.

Cius

Executive Member
Our HiSense smart TV functionality was so broken we ended up with a Mi Box and have not looked back. Have also heard after a few years most smart TV's stop getting software updates anyways and then you have to upgrade or go with an smart external box anyways. These days I think the decent screens mostly have a smart TV built in regardless if you want it or not but I doubt I would use that functionality.

elf_lord_ZC5

Honorary Master
Our HiSense smart TV functionality was so broken we ended up with a Mi Box and have not looked back. Have also heard after a few years most smart TV's stop getting software updates anyways and then you have to upgrade or go with an smart external box anyways. These days I think the decent screens mostly have a smart TV built in regardless if you want it or not but I doubt I would use that functionality.
MyBB article

on the subject

Dolby

Honorary Master
I moved from Samsung to LG, and found the LG all round way better than the Samsung. Wont touch a Samsung TV again.
There are definitely pros and cons.

We have a 4k LG at the office and it's great, but it's doesn't have the contrast. Google says most LGs have a panel that lack contrast, but are better at off axis viewing. I dunno much on panel technology though.

Plus I find Samsung support great - they gave me a R12,000 credit on a TV that went faulty after 2 years when warranty was already done & dusted.

Most companies simply tell you 'sorry! Buy a new TV'

noelmorrison74

Yeah, hisense interface is has such crap quality. I almost returned my tv when I got it coz I thought something was wrong with it, did research then realized they are all like that.
Vidda on hisense is very iffy have installed mybox s much better

epah

Executive Member
They have this bar called 'saturation' when you can actually change this to whatever you want.

They also have Filmmaker mode

Anyway, tough to give a sweeping statement like that because they make some pretty cracking TVs for the price. I think the best TV right now is a Samsung, albeit it expensive.
I know you are a samsung fanboy and you always turn a blind eye to their shortfalls., I have accepted this.

However the oversaturation issue actually cannot be fixed, even in filmmaker mode samsung still pumps and juices up the colors to give the picture more pop, this is obviously to attract the average joe with a colourful screen. Samsung is way off when it comes to color accuracy or reference in film maker mode(not to mention that samsung locks you out of certain settings when in filmmaker mode), even calibrated the colors still aren't accurate, If you like neon colors then it is fine, But If you want to be close to reference then LG and sony is the way to go.

And you say samsung makes cracking tvs for the price(your opinion of course), However in my opinion samsung tvs are actually overpriced for what they offer. You think samsung makes the best tvs right now and i beg to differ, yes the s95b is great but still plagued with the oversaturation issue. sony will however perfect and make the best use of the QD-Oleds with the A95k.

I will however commend samsung for shaking up the market by giving is QD-OLED.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
Bought a smart tv then won an amazon fire tv cube a few days later.

Been years since I looked at the tv's applications.