Buying a used Lexus in South Africa - 2011 LEXUS IS 250 ES or EX

12race

First time poster, AMAZING platform I've been using for research for the last 6 years though!

I'm hoping to open up a thread that can give some fresh and relevant info on owning a Lexus. Important facts like the average service costs, common problems (if any because so far all I'm finding is good, hence the reason for this post actually), good mileage range to buy in and anything else that is interesting like lesser known features or an underground Lexus Owner's cult I should be aware of. Whatever you feel is beneficial to South African's searching on Google (great SEO by the way MyBroadband). Unfortunately going to a dealership to ask these questions is: a) Challenging during my work week and b) Usually very biased.

I'm buying a car this month or next, I have been approved for R140 000 (financed) and without even considering such a premium seeming brand, I stumbled upon this: https://www.cars.co.za/for-sale/used/2011-Lexus-IS-250-At-Gauteng-Centurion/4302638/ (please don't buy it if its as good as I think it is, finders keepers haha) any opinions though?

Things to consider:
- I travel roughly 100km a day on the N2 in Cape Town and, more often than I'd like, in peak traffic...Mon-Fri. The car is going to rack up some good mileage and may even be used as an airport transfer vehicle for money on the side and to recoup some costs of the petrol in that (apparently) very reliable V6. I'd imagine traffic to be a problem here, but if I'm inevitably sitting in it for up to 3 hours a day, Id rather be in a Lexus and happy than in an i20 and depressed. (Also, anyone know the fine for driving in the bus lane? seems almost worth it some mornings...)
- Insurance, the car NEEDS to be insured, and not 3rd party/fire/theft. Will this be expensive? I see the cost to repair one after an accident is up there and beyond BMW and Mercedes...but maybe it's less frequently stolen or other factors affect this? I'll get a quote soon but if anyone knows that will be great.
- Needs to be automatic, my left leg is already changing size from the last 3 months in traffic.

I've seen our City of Cape Town ghost cop friends drive Lexus (less chance of being pulled over? haha), does this mean its reliable and not too expensive to maintain? Or more likely the City just got a good bulk deal?

I have a million more questions, but any response to the above or any additional info will be so gratefully appreciated. No need to be nice, words and opinions don't offend me, please speak your mind.

Thanks guys, and Howzit! :) hope this wasn't too long...

Attachments

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
That V6 is very good, but it is thirsty and some higher mileages ones might have some carbon build up.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/carbon-buildup-lexus-250-a-1369075/

Insurance will be based on your age etc, through these cars does cost a more than toyota etc.

Overall they are very good cars, as it is basically a fancy Toyota!

Only reason I did not buy one is, as I could not find decent one when I was looking and can't afford the fuel bill :p

12race

Thanks Gtx, wasn't aware of the carbon build up!

I've just gotten off the phone with a reputable mechanic (Goch and Cooper in Cape Town) and he informed me that with them (not dealership but original parts used) a minor service is +-R2200 (oil change and filter and inspection) and a major is +-R3300 (previously mentioned and plugs)

Other good mentionables: He has never had to open that V6 motor before and doesn't know of a mechanic that has! However, it is also less frequently seen vehicle so have to factor that in. He suggested I stay away from the manual as it's a dual mass clutch and it WILL need to be replaced. Brakes are bigger so more expensive, seems all very straight forward to me, basically a fancy Toyota but the Mercedes of Japan I'd say, don't even get me started on the reputation of the Lexus V8 haha.

With regards to insurance: Thanks for reminding me that my age is a factor haha, may need to find a workaround for that as I'm 26 (I know I should be going cheaper running costs, hatchback etc but I need a sedan for the airport transfer aspect) and I don't mind a little risk if I manage it into a reward :thumbsup:

12race

Good questions, unfortunately I did not get the answer to either of them :X3: not keen on a manual and wanted more info on the auto, sorry guys.

Best guess is thats for the full job, can't answer on what parts they use, just found info about this workshop from another thread: (I'll edit the link in here when I find it) but the FB page full of 5 star reviews is here: https://www.facebook.com/gochandcooper/

If you really want to know I can honestly say this was the best chat I've had with a mechanic that I don't even know! Ask for Armand at Goch & Cooper - 021 981 1851.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Thanks Gtx, wasn't aware of the carbon build up!

I've just gotten off the phone with a reputable mechanic (Goch and Cooper in Cape Town) and he informed me that with them (not dealership but original parts used) a minor service is +-R2200 (oil change and filter and inspection) and a major is +-R3300 (previously mentioned and plugs)

Other good mentionables: He has never had to open that V6 motor before and doesn't know of a mechanic that has! However, it is also less frequently seen vehicle so have to factor that in. He suggested I stay away from the manual as it's a dual mass clutch and it WILL need to be replaced. Brakes are bigger so more expensive, seems all very straight forward to me, basically a fancy Toyota but the Mercedes of Japan I'd say, don't even get me started on the reputation of the Lexus V8 haha.

With regards to insurance: Thanks for reminding me that my age is a factor haha, may need to find a workaround for that as I'm 26 (I know I should be going cheaper running costs, hatchback etc but I need a sedan for the airport transfer aspect) and I don't mind a little risk if I manage it into a reward :thumbsup:
Ok at 26 you just above high risk factor, I would guess it be around R800-R1000 bucks a month to insure.

12race

Parts are Toyota and I’ve heard not expensive (mechanical parts cheaper than above mentioned Germans) The 2nd generation IS ran from 2006-2013, so used parts shouldn’t be hard to source either. (Also chain driven motor so don’t have to sh*t myself about a timing belt like I did in my Volvo)

I’m looking at financing with a 2 year extended unlimited mileage warranty as well.

I’ve got a vehicle on hold for me to view and decide on Tuesday, will update you guys soon.

Not gonna lie it’s heavy on petrol...but cheaper to finance than a Polo. I’ll take the risk, see too many fresh grads looking bored with their lives in their 4/10 cars on the way to their 4/10 jobs.

Last edited:

JACK05

Service r minimal uses synthetic oil PLUGS r replaceable every 100 000km only brake pads are approximately R500

Edelweiss

I envy you lol..

My dream car and always thought the A/T was garbage compared to the manual

12race

Haha thanks @Edelweiss, A/T is the safer bet apparently. Its not lightning fast when it shifts but overall I'm really enjoying it and the paddeshift makes up for the times I miss being in control. It's a great car man, honestly I'm very happy with it and for the money I paid I'm even happier. Keep an eye out, I've seen a few go as low as R80k with a service history, well maintained these will last as long as any other Toyota.