Buying a used suv

Silvester1

Hey all, dont know much about cars and looking to buy a used suv (probably in this budget) for around 250k cash max.

Any ideas of cars to look at or stay away from? I do half city driving half off road. So far from looking around , i like the mazda cx5 and toyota rav4 if that gives you any reference point.

Also location is Cape town

rh1

Expert Member
Damn, you created the account 6 years ago and only decide to post today. Welcome! Sorry, I cannot help you with car advice.

Affieplaas

Both the Mazda CX5 and Toyota RAV4 are good cars.

Also look at the Honda CRV as an option. My wife drives a 2019 2.0 CRV CVT and it is a very solid car.

R250k will probably only get you something close to 100k km unless you go for a "baby" SUV like the new Kia Sonet.

nazmo

Expert Member
For that price, will be fairly used, so go japanese, no contest. as a German SUV owner, go japenese lol.
so go and testdrive everything above, see what you like the most and you should be good :)

maybe post the options here, mileage, age, brand and cost, and then choose the best combo.

Neuk_

Executive Member
As a German SUV owner, have you considered a Touareg?

Neuk_

Executive Member
do the auto come with an auto box or DCT? the main reason i would recommend many of them is old DCT can be a lottery

Touareg is torque converter box only, older models were 6 speed, newer models are 8 speed, unless you can find a unicorn manual.

nazmo

Expert Member
Touareg is torque converter box only, older models were 6 speed, newer models are 8 speed, unless you can find a unicorn manual.

not a bad option, i would imagine diesel too. torque converter > DSG when buying older

Neuk_

Executive Member
not a bad option, i would imagine diesel too. torque converter > DSG when buying older

You did get a 3.6 VR based V6 petrol which is apparently thirsty and a V8 petrol, I think it was a 4.2 but you don’t see many of them. Pick of the bunch in terms of fuel use and reliability is the 3.0 V6 TDi, the 2.5 5 cylinders gave issues while the 4.2 V8 TDi and 5.0 V10 TDi are beastly engines but costly to run and maintain.

The torque converter boxes have proven reliable, not many issues with them although you need to stick to fluid change schedules.

The_Traveller

Expert Member
Hey all, dont know much about cars and looking to buy a used suv (probably in this budget) for around 250k cash max.

Any ideas of cars to look at or stay away from? I do half city driving half off road. So far from looking around , i like the mazda cx5 and toyota rav4 if that gives you any reference point.

Listen and listen carefully.

You need to take the Vin of any car you're interested in and go find out the history.

Warranty claims etc is all logged for your interest.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Both the Mazda CX5 and Toyota RAV4 are good cars.

Also look at the Honda CRV as an option. My wife drives a 2019 2.0 CRV CVT and it is a very solid car.

R250k will probably only get you something close to 100k km unless you go for a "baby" SUV like the new Kia Sonet.
He can get a proper used SUV with decentv safety spec that has way under 100k km for that money, I believe in your initial suggestions but not that overpriced mediocrity called baby SUVs.

rietrot

Honorary Master
I'm pretty happy with the 2014 kia sportage the wife drives and you can probably get that now for half your budget.

Sumen

Expert Member

Both options are good but in CPT there's limited options available. I would lean more towards the CX5 though because the interior quality is better than the RAV4.

Also look at the Renault Kadjar, based on the Nissan Qashqai, so the engine and some switch gears are from Nissan, you will get a newer car with some warranty still intact - https://www.autotrader.co.za/cars-f...ice=less-than-300000&mileage=less-than-100000

unobeat

We are loving our Mazda CX-5 2L
No regrets at all

With your 250k budget, you should be able to get the pre Face lift model 2L active/ dynamic auto models with anything between 90-120 000km

Do a bit of research on cars.co.za / auto Trader.

Last edited:

Fleming

You mention half city driving and half offroad. How off road? Do you want/need 4wd? Alot of the new baby SUVs are fwd only. Im not sure if the CX5 has a 4wd option.

For R250k I'd seriously consider a Renault duster. You can get a relatively new one with 4wd. It isnt a proper off roader but is one of the most capable vehicles without low range. They are also very economical. I recently bought a 6 year old one and the fuel consumption rivals my wifes Ford Figo.

unobeat

If the OP wants 4x4 then the duster would be the one.

I still say the CX-5 you would love it.
Maybe as well go out and do test drives.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
I like the Duster but it sounds very scandalous to spend R250k on one, it's an industrial tool of purpose compared to the other SUVs.