Buying Cellphones on BidOrBuy...

Proton

Hey there guys

I am considering buying a Samsung Note 4 from Bid-Or-Buy. The seller has good ratings, and he has been selling for a very long time.. now... the question is, what is your thoughts on this situation:

The devices her receives are from Different Cellular networks, MTN, Vodacom etc.. .and its apparently where an upgrade was done by an individual, but the individual then decides that he doesn't like or want the device for whatever reason and it gets sent back. this device then is sold to him and he sells the devices..

He has good rating and all, so I don't see any real reason to be too alarmed but I saw another thread here on Mybroadband relating to a similar issue where a guy bought a device and the device was then blacklisted MONTHS after it has been bought... only to find out that the initial owner of the device had been labeled for bad credit. He got a new device from the seller at the end of the day, so that was sorted it would seem...

Link:

http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/698826-Phone-blacklisted?highlight=buying

The seller I am talking about is "Business Cell" so its a completely different seller than the one in the thread above,...

So the verdict? Would you buy from such a seller without worries?

Sherbang

Executive Member
Hey there guys

I am considering buying a Samsung Note 4 from Bid-Or-Buy. The seller has good ratings, and he has been selling for a very long time.. now... the question is, what is your thoughts on this situation:

The devices her receives are from Different Cellular networks, MTN, Vodacom etc.. .and its apparently where an upgrade was done by an individual, but the individual then decides that he doesn't like or want the device for whatever reason and it gets sent back. this device then is sold to him and he sells the devices..

He has good rating and all, so I don't see any real reason to be too alarmed but I saw another thread here on Mybroadband relating to a similar issue where a guy bought a device and the device was then blacklisted MONTHS after it has been bought... only to find out that the initial owner of the device had been labeled for bad credit. He got a new device from the seller at the end of the day, so that was sorted it would seem...

Link:

http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/698826-Phone-blacklisted?highlight=buying

The seller I am talking about is "Business Cell" so its a completely different seller than the one in the thread above,...

So the verdict? Would you buy from such a seller without worries?
If you're going to meet him in person then meet at the Vodacom shop (or whatever network it is) and check the warranty while you're there before paying for it. That's what I did when I bought my Note 2 on Gumtree

Proton

He is located in Cape Town, and he ships the phones... Meeting in person would not be possible unfortunately...

But BTW, what good would meeting at a Vodashop be? I mean, even if the warranty shows its fine and active, would it really make a difference?

Sherbang

Executive Member
He is located in Cape Town, and he ships the phones... Meeting in person would not be possible unfortunately...

But BTW, what good would meeting at a Vodashop be? I mean, even if the warranty shows its fine and active, would it really make a difference?
It made a difference to me for sure. But I was buying off gumtree so I wanted to check he was being honest saying it was under warranty, checking it wasn't stolen and wasn't blacklisted. Of course it makes a difference, I had to use the warranty a year later.

Proton

It made a difference to me for sure. But I was buying off gumtree so I wanted to check he was being honest saying it was under warranty, checking it wasn't stolen and wasn't blacklisted. Of course it makes a difference, I had to use the warranty a year later.
I was actually referring to the fact that even a phone with an active warranty will be blacklisted if it was a contract phone and the guy decides to stop paying a few months later... That's my big worry....

FlashSA

Executive Member
I was actually referring to the fact that even a phone with an active warranty will be blacklisted if it was a contract phone and the guy decides to stop paying a few months later... That's my big worry....
Very valid worry - you'll be left high and dry with a bricked phone until you can find a dodgy corner cell shop to unblacklist it. Of course all warranty will be invalid by that stage.

I still say blacklisting devices because of payment defaults is BS - when you take out a contract, you sign an acknowledgement of debt and are entitled to sell the device whenever you want so how the Cell companies get away with blacklisting the devices is beyond me.

I can only think that debt defaulters are in such high numbers that the Cell companies are left with no choice but to hope blacklisting the device will send them in to pay

Proton

Very valid worry - you'll be left high and dry with a bricked phone until you can find a dodgy corner cell shop to unblacklist it. Of course all warranty will be invalid by that stage.

I still say blacklisting devices because of payment defaults is BS - when you take out a contract, you sign an acknowledgement of debt and are entitled to sell the device whenever you want so how the Cell companies get away with blacklisting the devices is beyond me.

I can only think that debt defaulters are in such high numbers that the Cell companies are left with no choice but to hope blacklisting the device will send them in to pay
well this is exactly my worry, I also want to know how it is that they could do that.... anyway im still shopping for a Note 4... im too afraid to buy 2nd hand because of this worry.. even NEW due to the fat that these BidorBuy sellers sell new ones that had never even been opened but they had been activated months ago as the device was activated on a contract but never used

that is scary stuff

cavedog

Honorary Master
Since you referring to my post let me just leave a comment here. I thought nothing can go wrong buying from bidorbuy selling sealed phones with warranty in tact and adh warranty valid.

Got my blue S5 and it was a very decent phone. Loved every moment of it in fact even made 1 adh claim on the device when I dropped it and the camera glass broke. One morning I woke up and my phone displayed the message "No Service"

I took on MTN customer care fight why my line was not working. They confirmed everything is working and asked my imei number of my device. After a few second he said sir your device is blacklisted by Vodacom and gave me Vodacom's number 082111 to confirm.

Called and Vodacom confirmed that the device was blacklisted for "Bad Debt"

Contacted the seller and he arranged for a courier shap shap and 2 weeks late he could only get me a new sealed S5 white. Got my new S5 white and registered it for ADH again and was valid too.

So for me it was a very good experience from a highly recommended seller. That said there is a risk even buying brand new sealed devices if they are from Vodacom or Telkom that if the person that took it on contract whether it be business or personal if that person defaults on payments the network will Blacklist it even if you paid for the device and they will not remove it even if you explain your situation to them.

So I might not buy device from bidorbuy I will most likely just get it on contract and pay the contract off with the cash money.

Proton

thanks for the reply.. I will also just wait and sleep on it some more... I ordered an cheap phone from Takealot called InnJoo Fire, quite high specs, and android.. it goes for R1500 new, dual sim, so Im getting that as a spare phone.. so then at least I have a phone.,. after that I can source a nice 2nd hand note 4 from a reliable person.. and hope for the best... but I decided that I will not make any harsh decisions, the right time will come

airborne

Executive Member

I've been in that boat, blacklisted bricked phone sold for spares. Most modern high end phones can't have their imei modified to be used again by even the dodgy cell shops.

its a chance you take I suppose, I've never bought new phones and had 2 phones bought 2hnd over the years blacklisted due to bad debt.

Selling any item that is linked to a contract is fraud, the phone doesn't belong to the person till its paid off. I try buy locally via gumtree from sound looking people and always make a sale agreement stating the phone is owned by the seller and not linked to any contracts. If he defaults on the debt you open a case of fraud against him.
Was told that by the cop that helped me with the one phone, he laughed when I said I had no sale agreement, no case. Now I make a sale agreement everytime, with all the details/ID/phone imei etc.

HideInLight

Expert Member
I will never buy a phone without the proof of payment/affidavit ever again.
Along with ID/IMEI etc.

Wasabee!

Expert Member
This.

Sherbang

Executive Member
Well then that's even more reason to go meet them at a network store, surely they can tell you if the phone is currently being paid off under a contract?