Buying Ethereum in South Africa just got a whole lot cheaper

saor

Honorary Master
How did it become a whole lot cheaper if ICE3X have offered ETH/ZAR for some time already? The whole article is basically moot.

Before its support for Ethereum, South Africans who wanted to buy Ethereum...

By adding support for Ethereum, Luno has made it possible to buy Ethereum instantly...

With Ethereum purchases now available in rand...
*Cough.

Last edited:

saor

Honorary Master
It is important to note that transaction fees are static, meaning that if you sent R5 worth of Bitcoin to someone, you would have to pay the R280 transaction fee.
What?

F1 Fan

Executive Member
Is there an SA exchange where you can buy and sell Bitcoin cash?

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Is there an SA exchange where you can buy and sell Bitcoin cash?

www.altcointrader.co.za

Before its support for Ethereum,*South Africans who wanted to buy Ethereum – or other altcoins – typically had to purchase Bitcoin from Luno, send it to a cryptocurrency exchange like Poloniex, and then buy their desired cryptocurrency.
Or just use altcointrader and/or ice3x...

saor

Honorary Master
Or just use altcointrader and/or ice3x...
Unless I'm going crazy and I'm wrong about eth before luno this is some of the ****test writing & research I've ever seen. Almost the entire article is bull****.

Everyones-a-Wally

Honorary Master
Before its support for Ethereum, South Africans who wanted to buy Ethereum – or other altcoins – typically had to purchase Bitcoin from Luno, send it to a cryptocurrency exchange like Poloniex, and then buy their desired cryptocurrency.
CEX.IO accepts your Ronds happily... via Visa / Mastercard.

Temujin

Honorary Master

Over sunday, yes... basically, long story short, what happened was BCH got pumped, it then became 'more profitable' to mine due to low difficulty, so something like 60% of BTC miners switched to BCH and chewed up all that difficulty to make the monies, the knock on effect is BTC transactions clogged up, kinda like every road in and out of sandton closed during peak hour except one... so prices went up to get transactions through, that all went into a big dump on BCH, difficulty spiked, no longer profitable and miners moved back to BTC... so basically, BCH ****ed up everyones weekend, especially those who bought in on the up:)

Knyro

PhD in Everything
Unless I'm going crazy and I'm wrong about eth before luno this is some of the ****test writing & research I've ever seen. Almost the entire article is bull****.

+1 especially the part where about static fees.

Fees are never static, you can decide what fee you want to pay yourself depending on how quickly you want your transaction to be processed. Heck you can even set a fee of 0 if you want, your transaction will probably never be included in a block though.

Luno just sets fees automatically so n00bs don't have to think too much.

SaiyanZ

Executive Member
The volumes for Bitcoin on those other exchanges (altcointrader and ice3x) are so low. It's ok for buying and holding alts long term but not good for anything else. Holding or trading Bitcoin there is dangerous as the price will fluctuate wildly and it will be hard to get in and out when you want to.