Buying my First used vehicle - Advice Needed

Magnarmalok

Expert Member
Hi Mybb,

So I'm planning on buying my first car in the following 2-3 months.

Current budget allows for about R100k, although I'd prefer to go lower.

I'm just not 100% on what I should look for in used cars?

Any advice at all would be appreciated.

Magnarmalok

Expert Member
Another question then - I'll be planning on going through a dealer - But when buying used, how worried should I be about the km's on the clock when car has been fully serviced for its whole life?

Ivan Leon

Expert Member
Just check if any major items such as the cam-belt & ancillary V-belts have been changed at the recommended intervals, based on either distance or calendar expiry, and once you purchase it, immediately change all fluids & filters, and use either a semi- or full-synthetic oil in it & keep to the recommended service schedule. Also, make sure that all tyres are inflated to the recommended pressures - it's simple & easy to do it every time you fill up.

Ivan Leon

Expert Member
Also, consider investing in an extended mechanical warranty from someone like Hollard - I saved myself just over R 10,000 last July when my car had to have the water pump & gasket, several coolant hoses, pipes & gaskets, the coil pack & HT leads, and the ABS brake servo unit assembly replaced at its 105,000 km service - my excess for the 3 claims I submitted was only R 500 each.

https://www.hollard.co.za/car-insurance/motor-xtender

joker08

Hi Mybb,

So I'm planning on buying my first car in the following 2-3 months.

Current budget allows for about R100k, although I'd prefer to go lower.

I'm just not 100% on what I should look for in used cars?

Any advice at all would be appreciated.
First car with zero knowledge of cars I will say buy from an authorized dealer like automark or mekor. They charge more than other dealers but you will have piece of mind.

I would recommend any toyota or honda. for that budget, you will easily find a 6-year-old car with less than 80000km on the clock

joker08

Very cheaply made in India, car cabin is loud and every just feels really cheap.
every time I read such comments about etios, makes me want to sell mine. But bought this 5-year-old car with 60000 on the odometer, I have used it for 2 years with no maintenance cost except the regular service and new tires, dont want to let it go.

Magnum

Expert Member
My money is on Honda. Great cars, reliable, not too heavy on fuel.
Still remember the look I got when I walked in and told them I wanted my Ballade. just started working and had no credit rating. They were like npe npe not gona happen. 3 days later I drove off with the car.

SykomantiS

Expert Member
Still remember the look I got when I walked in and told them I wanted my Ballade. just started working and had no credit rating. They were like npe npe not gona happen. 3 days later I drove off with the car.
My very first car was also 'n Ballade, but an old one- '92 150 hand-me-down.

Op, high mileage isn't always the issue many people make it out to be, as long as the vehicle was well looked after and serviced according to schedule. Bought my 1st Civic with 92k km on the odo, 2nd Civic with 135k km on it.

Magnarmalok

Expert Member
Awesome! Thanks for the input all - will be keeping it all in mind whilst I shop around!

ReeceDBN031

remember to take your time. dont rush and later regret your choice.
Yes.. i agree there.. my first vehicle was a 08 Mazda 3 mps.. Didnt do alot of research and etc.. once i changed exhaust i realised why i should have done alot of research.. car turbo was never changed and the mileage was sitting at about 150 000kms.. so i had a blue smokey turbo .. cost me about 26k for aftermarket parts.. which in turn made it a 250wkw beast.. anyway.. lol just make sure you find something you dont need to spend money on..

SykomantiS

Expert Member
remember to take your time. dont rush and later regret your choice.
Good advice, this.

Don't buy the 1st vehicle you see. 99% guaranteed you'll get the old "I have 3 other people who are interested in this car so buy now to avoid disappointment" speech. Wait. Research. You're buying in a price bracket where you have literally thousands of options.