Buying my First used vehicle - Advice Needed

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Still remember the look I got when I walked in and told them I wanted my Ballade. just started working and had no credit rating. They were like npe npe not gona happen. 3 days later I drove off with the car.
Glad you got away with it...stealing a car is not always that easy.

Magnum

Expert Member
They understood me wrong. The chair was very uncomfarteble and the 9MM pistol's hammer was poking me in the ribs causing me to draw it and place it on the table.

unobeat

I currently drive a 2011 Toyota Auris and it has been reliable fault free for the past 18 months.
Got it at 160 000km and it is currently sitting on 214 000km

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Curious as to why not?
They wont fix any problems on the car, they will send you to the shop and you hope the warranty covers it.

I bought a car from them and the service was actually good, through I bought lexus so there nothing that really goes wrong. They also fitted new tyres and a battery, as it was required for roadworthy, they paid for it.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Curious as to why not?
They sell you **** cars and refuse to fix their mistakes. The amount of complaints I've heard from them is simply shocking. Check out their HelloPeter page.

asshat99

People buying from a car wholesaler and not understanding what they are doing at all. if you are looking for hand holding, then go to a traditional dealership (or buy new) and pay for the premium.

Midnights_Ghost

I have been looking for some cars under 100k for my girlfriend. There are a few things I look for specifically

1. Age - 2015 or newer. Depending on how long you intend to keep the car. For example in 5 years from now, a 2015 car will be only 9 years old, whereas a 2010 car will be 14 years old and selling the car may be more difficult

2. Milage - Must have a fair milage on it. I look at a average of 15000km per year. Anything under is acceptable

3. Full service history - Must have been serviced every year (or at the milage intervals of 15000kms) and log book stamped by a the dealer or a repuatable mechanic if there is no service plan

4. Private owner - This is just a personal preferance, you can always negotiate more with the owner. Dealerships tend to be more fixed on price, they may drop a grand or two if you lucky. People will advise against private deals since if you get a lemon vehicle then you can hold the dealership accountable, but if you can see the car is well taken care of and you can see the if you are dealing with an honest person then there is no harm in looking a private sale.

Ultimately, the choice is on you to get the car inspected or not for any faults, not including the COR needed when doing the transfer etc.

My brother recently bought a 2007 350Z with 70000kms on the clock from a private seller, matched all of the criteria above except the age since he was looking for that specific car for more than 2 years. The owner advertised it for R135k, I beleive my brother managed to get it for R110k. That car is in immaculate condition and smooth running. Just a few hairline scratches but thats expected on a black car thats 12 years old.

This post is not a rulebook, just a guide that I use with a hint of common sense.

I have put some links in the spoiler below of few of the cars that looked good in my recent searches. All are auto, but if you widen your search to manual and other cars you will find some good deals out there.

Drifter

Honorary Master
Point 2, a bit harsh. You can work on an average of 2000km's per month. That is reasonable.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Point 2, a bit harsh. You can work on an average of 2000km's per month. That is reasonable.
2000km highway mileage is the same 200 in bumper to bumper for wear and tare on the engine.

High mileage cars where it is highway miles is also decent deals, as the car will be pretty cheap because of the amount of miles, but will still run as car with much less miles on it.

Midnights_Ghost

I know a lot of people work on 20000kms per year which is closer to your 2000kms per month. I personally like to look for the 15000kms.

The reason for that is that I do quite a bit of long distance travel a month, maybe around 1500kms or more. So if I get a second hand car with low milage than expected then it has some room to "catch up" to other peoples expectations when it comes time for selling again.

Drifter

Honorary Master
2000km highway mileage is the same 200 in bumper to bumper for wear and tare on the engine.

High mileage cars where it is highway miles is also decent deals, as the car will be pretty cheap because of the amount of miles, but will still run as car with much less miles on it.
Agree 100%

The_Traveller

Expert Member
every time I read such comments about etios, makes me want to sell mine. But bought this 5-year-old car with 60000 on the odometer, I have used it for 2 years with no maintenance cost except the regular service and new tires, dont want to let it go.
lol, I own a few German vehicles and I still get as much joy from the etios as well. I mean how else am I going to fly over speed bumps, jump curbs, park on top of other cars, without it even breaking ?

joshuatree

Expert Member
Toyota anything that falls within being decent to you regarding age and kilometres / Nissan Micra/Suzuki Swift.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Another question then - I'll be planning on going through a dealer - But when buying used, how worried should I be about the km's on the clock when car has been fully serviced for its whole life?
For a R100k budget you should get something below 150k kms, with full service history, some cars like Honda and Toyota are still very reliable even on higher mileage.

Stay away from anything with a turbocharger in it, NA, preferably Japanese and you won't go wrong.