Buying tech from Takealot vs importing from Amazon price comparison

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
The one thing you should not buy from Amazon in South Africa

Although many products on Takealot can be found for cheaper on Amazon.com, there is one category of tech devices that you should avoid importing with the US shopping giant altogether — monitors.

With Takealot being South Africa's largest online store and Amazon the world's biggest, both offer a wide range of tech products that are often cheaper than when bought from physical retailers.

Jetty

The difference between Amazon and Takealot is that Amazon has actual specials.

I managed to buy a monitor a couple years back off Amazon that was 40% cheaper than local prices.

RedViking

Nord of the South
@Jan what about warranty and support service test?

Returning an item within 7 days.
Returning and receiving and item under Warranty

I think Amazon might also have a refund the shipping or part of it?

Would be nice to see an actual experience on this.

I am keen to buy a laptop from Amazon as it is generally a lot more affordable, even with taxes, and much better options compared to what we have locally, even before the world logistics issues, but I would not want anything who doesn't support 2-3 years of warranty.

Last edited:

auditor01

Just a note that you can select the option to pay the purchase price in ZAR not USD and then you save the 2%-2.75% transaction fee from your local South African bank. Amazon shows the conversion rate they're giving you and it is substantially on par with what you will get from a bank.

Iwojima

Expert Member
The difference between Amazon and Takealot is that Amazon has actual specials.

I managed to buy a monitor a couple years back off Amazon that was 40% cheaper than local prices.
This.

Ive managed to undercut the local pricing with Amazon specials significantly that the 2 week wait for delivery is well worth it.

FaSMaN

Expert Member
I always had my orders from amazon arrive well before estimated dates. Never have them seen stuck in customs ?

I've had one order arrive a day late. It was a replacement 5meter USB C cable for my Quest, initially I just wrote it off its not a big deal at all , end of the week I got a automated email from Amazon, apologizing for the late delivery and refunding my shipping costs, so definitely would recommend!

G.A.S

The big difference is variety / availability though: Amazon has a much better range on monitors, some of which are just not available in SA.

A number of years ago I bought 3 external HDDs from Amazon for the price I would have paid for 2 smaller ones locally - still going strong. And that was with priority shipping too.

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
Just a note that you can select the option to pay the purchase price in ZAR not USD and then you save the 2%-2.75% transaction fee from your local South African bank. Amazon shows the conversion rate they're giving you and it is substantially on par with what you will get from a bank.
Just be careful when doing this with certain banks. We've heard that some people get charged the conversion fee even when they choose ZAR pricing.

Danie_V

Takealot only quicker IF the item is actually at their warehouse. Take ages if it shows 7 - 10 days availability. I've been getting Amazon item sin around 6 days from the USA, and from the EU I've had DHL items in 3 days. Other places couriers seem to move 24/7 but in SA it is weekdays business hours only.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
I earn lekker eBucks when I buy from Takealot

What about warranty? Is there an Amazon branch in Cape Town yet to return broken stuff? Someone said they were going to open here

Gudnews

Expert Member
Some of these phones are priced too well to pass up on and aren't even available locally.Warranty be damned!

JohnStarr

Executive Member

I am keen to buy a laptop from Amazon as it is generally a lot more affordable, even with taxes, and much better options compared to what we have locally, even before the world logistics issues, but I would not want anything who doesn't support 2-3 years of warranty.
I bought a gaming laptop years ago off Amazon, and then an English keyboard. I wanted to swop out the keyboard and asked the manufacturer if I could swop out the keyboard.
I got told that although I had bought the laptop overseas, they'd still honor the warranty and do it themselves, which they did do.
Best bet is check what you want to buy, contact the local branch and ask them.

garyc

Expert Member

I returned a defective item to Amazon just before the lockdown. This was sold by one of their third party vendors, so I don't know how much of a difference that made.

I had to organize the shipping. It was a small and light item, so the minimum shipping charge of USD 50 applied (which was on me). Obviously I lost the VAT as well, it was not worth the effort of getting a VAT refund from SARS. I then opted for a refund (minus the 20% restocking fee).

chickenbeef

Executive Member
Going through my first battle dealing with Takealot. I've been struggling to get a R1200 refund from Takealot for over 2 weeks. I requested for an order to be cancelled because the item went on daily deal the next day for R400 cheaper. They cancelled the order but didn't issue a credit or a refund. Now they want my bank statements:

1631716812829.png

Bunch of clowns.

krycor

Honorary Master
I am considering doing this soon too.. the savings is significant for items when just isn’t in significant circulation locally.

Just need to do the sars importer thing

airborne

Honorary Master

Just get something like Dell or Lenovo with an international warranty and you are sorted.

richjdavies

Expert Member
Just get something like Dell or Lenovo with an international warranty and you are sorted.
Spot on... Dell, HP - personal experience of international warranty holding. I.e. they will fix it wherever you happen to be in the world, if its under warranty, no matter where you bought it.
(One reason I always buy Dell Latitude laptops!)

Gnome

Executive Member
Using Amazon almost exclusively these days with DHL shipping. It is faster than Takealot on almost all the orders I do there

1631725460010.png
1631725508806.png