BYD files "Dolphin Mini" trademark in South Africa

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
World's cheapest electric car could launch in South Africa

Chinese electric vehicle (EV) manufacturer BYD appears to have plans to bring its cheapest passenger EV to South Africa.

MyBroadband recently discovered a filing for the trademark "BYD Dolphin Mini" on the Companies and Intellectual Properties (CIPC) database.

14 seconds is crazy slow in this day and age. Regular ICE cars that are super fuel efficient (think vivo gt 1.0tsi) are 10 second to 100km/h cars...

14 seconds is crazy slow in this day and age. Regular ICE cars that are super fuel efficient (think vivo gt 1.0tsi) are 10 second to 100km/h cars...
True, but EV's give you instant torque from standstill and a much more satisfying push from 0-60kmh.

I'd be more concerned about the longevity of this car. Some reports of dodgy construction and assembly short-cuts

Surprising from the Chinese. Most businessmen I have met strive to produce a quality product. In China the competition is intense and rubbish quickly falls by the wayside

Interesting, that looks somewhat reasonable, I might consider a seagull mini dophin for somewhere depending on this and that for R200k-R400k.

Prices getting a little better.

Why a trade mark though? What are they trying to protect?

I'd be more concerned about the longevity of this car. Some reports of dodgy construction and assembly short-cuts

Surprising from the Chinese. Most businessmen I have met strive to produce a quality product. In China the competition is intense and rubbish quickly falls by the wayside
but the Chinese copy from themselves as much as they copy elsewhere.
so either it will be good, or it will make the Ford Kuga look like a candle when this thing catches fire and incinerates its occupants alive.

lets not forget, our fire department is much the same as anywhere else in the world, (maybe slower)
all they have is water, to put out a lithium fire.

The SA government needs to rethink its import duties and costs on EVs. A 105% markup due to duties and taxes is ludicrous

The SA government needs to rethink its import duties and costs on EVs. A 105% markup due to duties and taxes is ludicrous
Even a 50% markup (with VAT) is outrageous. No industry needs that much protection.

Not sustainable? Lol I take it he doesn't use a smartphone as well since it runs on batteries. Or a Philips Oneblade for that matter.

Yep until SA seriously overhauls their import duty, they are just killing all EV sales. Imagine this car at the Chinese price - it would be a runaway success at R200k.

They need to find a way to make EVs as profitable to Government as ICE vehicles.

Maybe a R2.00/km road tax on EVs

Back