Bye madam! Domestic worker wins R70m Power Ball jackpot

Cray

Honorary Master
This is probably the biggest risk really..

I would hazard a guess that most Lotto winners in this country who were dirt poor before winning, are probably nearly dirt poor all over again after being ripped off by friends and family.
Yup, case in point...

https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/local-lotto-winner-loses-all-his-millions-and-he-wont-die-until-he-gets-it-back-20190315

According to newspaper reports, one of the couple's sons, Mzamani, an ex-cop, was convicted of defrauding them of millions.

But Mzamani claims his murdered brother, Samuel, was behind the theft.

eg2505

Honorary Master
bye bye winnings
friends and family will take all their money almost immediately

only chance for somebody like her, is to get a new identity and live someplace else.

konfab

Honorary Master
Good on her.
Best thing she could do is buy a normal house in a normal suburb, pay for her kid's education, then invest the rest in a bunch of high dividend paying etfs (preferably in a foreign market). Then she can fund whatever lifestyle she wants to from those dividends.

John Tempus

Expert Member
This guys clearly had no humble bone in him after winning if you look at the ridiculous things they planned to buy with the lotto winnings. I think winning cursed them into creed and exuberance of trying to act like the King among the poor around them in their village just going by his own quotes.

"He had visions of building a mansion for himself and his wife, Maria Manganyi, bigger than anything their village of Malamulele in Limpopo had ever seen.

He dreamt of driving the most luxurious cars available and owning acres of land where he could farm cattle and sheep and plant fruits and vegetables. But that dream is long gone now."

Also I dont think this guy had any idea what R6million could buy them. A mansion ?? lmao, dont think he understands the definition of a mansion.

Spacerat

Good for her that she is at least helping to sort her daughters education..

I hope that education will help her daughter at least help with managing the finances.
hopefully the daughter will stick to studying and not take part in protests and burning stuff like the rest

rambo919

Expert Member
Good on her.
Best thing she could do is buy a normal house in a normal suburb, pay for her kid's education, then invest the rest in a bunch of high dividend paying etfs (preferably in a foreign market). Then she can fund whatever lifestyle she wants to from those dividends.
Except if a buy-in happens and gov starts grabbing investments "because we have to"

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Extended family of family of family etc. all suddenly appearing for a handout.

That money will dry up faster than they are paying her.

For her own good and long term security I really hope shes taking the payment in monthly/yearly payouts over multiple years and not a single large payout just because if anyone takes her for a ride at least there will be more guaranteed payments coming the next month/year.
Does our lottery have that option?

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Good for her.

So many jealous negative Nancies here.

Who cares if she goes broke or makes it last. She won a life-changing amount of money that if nothing else, will allow her to enjoy life even if it's for a little bit.

And she can now comfortably put her kid through university which you can't really put a price on...