C-Fibre holding line hostage - Cool ideas address migration

silentwoosh

I bought an apartment in a complex recently. The previous owner had a fibre service with C-Fibre and Metrofibre. I am trying to migrate my Cool-Ideas account to the new address but was told that the previous ISP has not yet released the line at that address.

I phoned C-Fibre and was told that only the previous owner can authorize this line to be released. I am not having a lot of luck with that route.

I saw here that ordering a new line may sometimes work but I am unsure how that would work with moving my existing Cool-Ideas account to the new address as well as the fact that it is in a complex/apartment. Surely I as the owner of the property should be able to authorize that the line linked to my property be released?

I was advised by cool ideas support that I would need to resolve this issue on my own and notify them once it is resolved so they can continue with my line migration. I know they have a presence on these forums. Is there no way in which they can assist me?

Also is there anything else I can do or does anyone have any other suggestions? My work is dependent on my internet connection and this is causing an extreme inconvenience.

wingnut771

Executive Member
I bought an apartment in a complex recently. The previous owner had a fibre service with C-Fibre and Metrofibre. I am trying to migrate my Cool-Ideas account to the new address but was told that the previous ISP has not yet released the line at that address.

I phoned C-Fibre and was told that only the previous owner can authorize this line to be released. I am not having a lot of luck with that route.

I saw here that ordering a new line may sometimes work but I am unsure how that would work with moving my existing Cool-Ideas account to the new address as well as the fact that it is in a complex/apartment. Surely I as the owner of the property should be able to authorize that the line linked to my property be released?

I was advised by cool ideas support that I would need to resolve this issue on my own and notify them once it is resolved so they can continue with my line migration. I know they have a presence on these forums. Is there no way in which they can assist me?

Also is there anything else I can do or does anyone have any other suggestions? My work is dependent on my internet connection and this is causing an extreme inconvenience.
surely he's not paying his account anymore therefore it would be cancelled and get released?

chrisc

Executive Member
I bought a deceased estate house once for rental and when I went in, there was a working Telkom phone there. Telkom would not release the line. The late owner had specified that she be ex-directory and caller ID be blocked.

Neither I nor the transferring attorney could get a copy of the death certificate. The bills kept coming for about 18 months, then the first lawyers letter arrived. I phoned them and explained that the owner had died 2 years prior. No reaction, but I realised about 6 months later that the bills had stopped coming

cavedog

Honorary Master
Just apply for a new line by adding a letter to the address number. Sorted. This will trigger a new install and when openserve comes and installs the line just show them the old fibre line.

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep

The "hostage" line problem, is not uncommon, unfortunately. As per @PBCool, send details and let's see if we can sort it out.

wingnut771

Executive Member
I bought a deceased estate house once for rental and when I went in, there was a working Telkom phone there. Telkom would not release the line. The late owner had specified that she be ex-directory and caller ID be blocked.

Neither I nor the transferring attorney could get a copy of the death certificate. The bills kept coming for about 18 months, then the first lawyers letter arrived. I phoned them and explained that the owner had died 2 years prior. No reaction, but I realised about 6 months later that the bills had stopped coming
to be expected with telkom, i'm sure the timeline will be much shorter with metrofiber, i mean they're getting nothing now, so is in their best interest to release the line so it can get a paying customer to occupy.
maybe it's better to speak metro direct?

wingnut771

Executive Member
Just apply for a new line by adding a letter to the address number. Sorted. This will trigger a new install and when openserve comes and installs the line just show them the old fibre line.
maybe with openserve, but metro?