[C-Fibre] Throttling Kodi - workarounds?

mudthang

So recently bit the FTTH bullet and ditched Telkom. Within SA, connection is good but rubbish for pretty much everythang on Kodi. Netflix, Hulu, Showmax, YouTube all stream great but G_d forbid the wife tries to watch "Grey's Anatomy" on Kodi.

In the UK, YouTuber at DocSquiffy dot com speaks about disabling privacy/parent filters on BT/Virgin but no idea how to do this for local ISPs like CellC.

International net neutrality test site (not speedtest or fast dot com) at url
battleforthenet dot com/internethealthtest/ shows pitiful speed results for a 20MB up/down line ie overseas Kodi content.

Any ideas on workable solutions to combat suspected throttling of Kodi?

Sinbad

Honorary Master
So recently bit the FTTH bullet and ditched Telkom. Within SA, connection is good but rubbish for pretty much everythang on Kodi. Netflix, Hulu, Showmax, YouTube all stream great but G_d forbid the wife tries to watch "Grey's Anatomy" on Kodi.

In the UK, YouTuber at DocSquiffy dot com speaks about disabling privacy/parent filters on BT/Virgin but no idea how to do this for local ISPs like CellC.

International net neutrality test site (not speedtest or fast dot com) at url
battleforthenet dot com/internethealthtest/ shows pitiful speed results for a 20MB up/down line ie overseas Kodi content.

Any ideas on workable solutions to combat suspected throttling of Kodi?

Look into Kodi's advanced settings XML file to increase buffer size and network speed. By default it only downloads at double the data rate of the file it's playing...

mudthang

Look into Kodi's advanced settings XML file to increase buffer size and network speed. By default it only downloads at double the data rate of the file it's playing...
Will give it a bash, thanks.
Need to check both PC and Android TV box.

marlin178

Expert Member
It could also be the ISP that you chose.
I'm with Cool Ideas and have zero issues with Kodi.
Stream 720 with no issues on a 20/2 line

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator

We don't have those filters here in SA.

mudthang

Thanks for the feedback, tinkering with advanced settings no joy yet

But DrJohn, is the issue then the possibility that one's ISP (mine is CellC) is throttling those server connect/download speeds? Some times of day it's okay, others it's unwatchable...

And as marlin178 reports, another ISP allows him to "Stream 720 with no issues on a 20/2 line"

Lol not trying to moan all butt-hurt but attempting to maintain peace in my home and actually use Kodi as it was intended? Unless you have a treasure map for S13&14 of Grey's... hehe

Last edited:

marlin178

Expert Member
I'm actually praying that you opted for a month to month plan... if that's the case, get rid of Cell C and get yourself a decent ISP.
THIS IS FIBRE, NOT ADSL WE'RE TALKING ABOUT DAMNIT :D

cavedog

Honorary Master
I tried genesis reborn with kodi on xbox one. What a joke actually. With a 100/100 fibre line it's not working good.

Those streaming sites the use is just poor plain and simple. I highly doubt the issue is with you fibre.