Call of Duty: Vanguard announced - it's back to World War 2

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Call of Duty: Vanguard — It's back to WWII

Activision Blizzard has announced the next entry in its highly successful Call of Duty franchise, revealing a return to the original setting of the hit first-person shooter series.

With lead development by Sledgehammer Games, Call of Duty: Vanguard is set during World War II and will run on the same engine introduced with 2019's Modern Warfare remake.

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
Ummmm, Isn't Black Ops Cold War not even a year old yet? You, know? That game nobody plays?

And didn't they 'go back' to WW2 in 2017 with Call of duty....WW2?

Jaysus. Just bury the franchise already. They obviously have no clue what to do anymore.

Thor

Honorary Master
Call of Duty needs to go back to basics, Modern Ware was the best the game has been, since then it went to crap by trying to do all these futuristic and unrealistic stuff.

Also, if I was a gaming company today, I would do reboots, one thing the games from 1999 to 2007 had, was gameplay and story telling, they did not have the graphics (cheap thrills) to lure people.

So

Sim Golf, keep the game as it, just make the graphic assets 4K.

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
Call of Duty needs to go back to basics, Modern Ware was the best the game has been, since then it went to crap by trying to do all these futuristic and unrealistic stuff.

Also, if I was a gaming company today, I would do reboots, one thing the games from 1999 to 2007 had, was gameplay and story telling, they did not have the graphics (cheap thrills) to lure people.

So

They already have remasters of Modern Warfare.....

YoungSandwich

Ummmm, Isn't Black Ops Cold War not even a year old yet? You, know? That game nobody plays?

And didn't they 'go back' to WW2 in 2017 with Call of duty....WW2?

Jaysus. Just bury the franchise already. They obviously have no clue what to do anymore.
Have you played any CoD post 2019?

YoungSandwich

So

Seriously give Modern Warfare 2019 a go. It is back to basics, but with enough added to the mix to make it feel fresh. Modern Warfare 2019 is the best CoD to come out in almost a decade. And was THE best game of 2019 if we approach the conversation from a casual player perspective. And even tho we had the likes of Sekiro and RE2 Remake come out that year too, CoDMW 2019 still holds its own there.

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
I just wish we could move on from WWII.

Or do something different with it, play as a Bulgarian or some random army. All armies have stories to tell, amazing feats by their soldiers, etc. The US and UK don't have a monopoly on heroic actions.

But I'd rather just move away from it entirely. Give us something we haven't played before.

YoungSandwich

Or do something different with it, play as a Bulgarian or some random army. All armies have stories to tell, amazing feats by their soldiers, etc. The US and UK don't have a monopoly on heroic actions.

But I'd rather just move away from it entirely. Give us something we haven't played before.
Well from what I've been reading is that they are spreading out to more war fronts than what we have seen in the past. And it's set post-WW2 apparently, tracking down Hitler's successor.

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
Well from what I've been reading is that they are spreading out to more war fronts than what we have seen in the past. And it's set post-WW2 apparently, tracking down Hitler's successor.
Maybe it will be good. Probably it won't.

Also, BF 2042 is coming out, and that actually looks really good. I think this needs to be amazing or it will be DOA.

eg2505

Honorary Master

outer space, done that, future wars, done, present day? done,

who else to portray?
the free polish army? the South African Battalion?

there is a reason most games come out for "their" market, as its the biggest

and the reason GTA traffic is on the right like the US.
(unless there is a mod I don't know about)

YoungSandwich

Maybe it will be good. Probably it won't.

Also, BF 2042 is coming out, and that actually looks really good. I think this needs to be amazing or it will be DOA.
Won't disagree there. And Sledgehammer Studios's history of CoD games has been iffy at best. But again, this is CoD we talking about here, it's gonna sell no matter what.

Drifter

Honorary Master
Probably need a PC that can run Crisis at 100% to play this.

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
outer space, done that, future wars, done, present day? done,

who else to portray?
the free polish army? the South African Battalion?

there is a reason most games come out for "their" market, as its the biggest

and the reason GTA traffic is on the right like the US.
(unless there is a mod I don't know about)
There's a ton they could do, if they wanted to go the historical route.

There's a ton more they could do if they just invent something. Just manufacture an evil faction, not-related to any country. Manufacture a set of "good guys" to fight them. Even better, add a 3rd faction, of mercs who could accept missions for either side. Or who could throw a spanner in the works, maybe they despise the evil group but have disdain for the do-gooders and their ulterior motives.

You could equip each faction according to their scale and budget, so super advanced, middling and home-made. Remove things like drones from the equation and you have a somewhat fair battle. Perhaps weapons cost money, so loadouts are made according to a budget.

Or find a war that hasn't been explored fully and explore it, maybe from a different viewpoint. You could do an alternate history, fighting as a German to get out from under tyrannical laws imposed by the US and it's allies.

You could do the 2 Koreas.

You could make it robots, no political allegiances, just two AI companies fighting it out for corporate dominance.

You could do the American Civil War.

You could Vietnam, but properly this time.

You could do Bosnia.

You could do Afghan rebels vs Taliban.

You could do a modern Delta Squad who get sent to 1930 and have to survive.

You could do a Western, playing as a sheriff.

The list is endless. Could be hit or miss, but at least it would be something new and different.

callvm

Lol 1k+ for the new cod. I miss the days where I could buy cod(4) for R140 at my local BT games

eg2505

Honorary Master
agree with you @UrBaN963 , plenty of material to try out,
problem is what will sell? WW2, and what faction, US vs Germans, as everybody knows what those 2 are.

I mean I can add a few myself,
1973 October war, Israelis VS Egyptians,

but again that will never get done, as remember who they have to sell it to, the yanks who know about a total of 3 countries in the world,
and some foreign war (as impactful as it was) isn't going to sell well enough.

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
agree with you @UrBaN963 , plenty of material to try out,
problem is what will sell? WW2, and what faction, US vs Germans, as everybody knows what those 2 are.

I mean I can add a few myself,
1973 October war, Israelis VS Egyptians,

but again that will never get done, as remember who they have to sell it to, the yanks who know about a total of 3 countries in the world,
and some foreign war (as impactful as it was) isn't going to sell well enough.
Yea that's the issue. Tell the story that sells, not the story that's interesting.

I like the idea of 3 factions actually. Pick a side and play the story from their viewpoint. Next play through, play as another side.

eg2505

Honorary Master
Yea that's the issue. Tell the story that sells, not the story that's interesting.

I like the idea of 3 factions actually. Pick a side and play the story from their viewpoint. Next play through, play as another side.
remember they have shareholders, and CEO's and all the rest of it,
if I was them, to satisfy people like us, who want something other than the overdone USA vs German angle we keep seeing

built in MOD tools, and announce a contest for the best one, gets published as a paid DLC, and you get 1% of the profits.
I mean if it worked for Simba Chips, why not to COD?