Call of Duty: Vanguard announced - it's back to World War 2

YoungSandwich

The sad reality is that we will always see the same wars represented in CoD, cause it's safe. WW2 has a very clearly defined villain that everyone can turn to and say "Yeah, those guys are dickheads."

Little Mac

Honorary Master
Well from what I've been reading is that they are spreading out to more war fronts than what we have seen in the past. And it's set post-WW2 apparently, tracking down Hitler's successor.
This. WWII was so vast - it needs to go way beyond the Gerries vs Allies or Japs vs the US... I'd love to be able to pick one of those poor armies like the Polish and come up with a strategy based alternative universe where Hitler is taken out by men on horseback with swords LMAO.

PrimeSteak

There's a ton they could do, if they wanted to go the historical route.

There's a ton more they could do if they just invent something. Just manufacture an evil faction, not-related to any country. Manufacture a set of "good guys" to fight them. Even better, add a 3rd faction, of mercs who could accept missions for either side. Or who could throw a spanner in the works, maybe they despise the evil group but have disdain for the do-gooders and their ulterior motives.

You could equip each faction according to their scale and budget, so super advanced, middling and home-made. Remove things like drones from the equation and you have a somewhat fair battle. Perhaps weapons cost money, so loadouts are made according to a budget.

Or find a war that hasn't been explored fully and explore it, maybe from a different viewpoint. You could do an alternate history, fighting as a German to get out from under tyrannical laws imposed by the US and it's allies.

You could do the 2 Koreas.

You could make it robots, no political allegiances, just two AI companies fighting it out for corporate dominance.

You could do the American Civil War.

You could Vietnam, but properly this time.

You could do Bosnia.

You could do Afghan rebels vs Taliban.

You could do a modern Delta Squad who get sent to 1930 and have to survive.

You could do a Western, playing as a sheriff.

The list is endless. Could be hit or miss, but at least it would be something new and different.
Add the Bush War (Grensoorlog) to the list, seeing it would be pretty cool, seeing that the gov conveniently keeps it under wraps (From 4th-grade history to 9th-grade history never heard a peep about it, only saw it on some movies or series with references to it on Kyknet over the years or heard some stuff from my dad)

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I just wish we could move on from WWII.

Or do something different with it, play as a Bulgarian or some random army. All armies have stories to tell, amazing feats by their soldiers, etc. The US and UK don't have a monopoly on heroic actions.

But I'd rather just move away from it entirely. Give us something we haven't played before.

The thing is, people wanted this, and Activision complied. For some reason, people like the WW2 cycle. People didn't like Infinite Warfare, and Black Ops 3 just followed in the same pit of criticism.

I will say this, and it is visible in Vanguard's marketing, it has an absolute Battlefield 1 vibe to it, but I am curious for the market reaction. Having women in Battlefield didn't go down well with some 'fans', duh, as expected, so,

zf5pkugg3vg71.jpg

do expect a couple of Reddit threads on this one, but Dice ultimately won the debate, IIRC even taking the position that women should have been added from the start.

Activation knows exactly what they are doing here, it is a target market still rich for opportunity.

I just want a great shooter.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Just did a comparison between Vanguard and Battlefield 1. Activision/Sledgehammer is most definitely taking EA/Dice's game and reimagining it. EA took the risk, Activision is capitalising on it. Obviously it won't be the same game, but it most certainly share the theme.

friedpiggy

Expert Member
Sounds nice, but I will give it a skip as going on previous COD titles it will be a 7 TB download.

Little Mac

Honorary Master
The thing is, people wanted this, and Activision complied. For some reason, people like the WW2 cycle. People didn't like Infinite Warfare, and Black Ops 3 just followed in the same pit of criticism.

I will say this, and it is visible in Vanguard's marketing, it has an absolute Battlefield 1 vibe to it, but I am curious for the market reaction. Having women in Battlefield didn't go down well with some 'fans', duh, as expected, so,

zf5pkugg3vg71.jpg

do expect a couple of Reddit threads on this one, but Dice ultimately won the debate, IIRC even taking the position that women should have been added from the start.

Activation knows exactly what they are doing here, it is a target market still rich for opportunity.

And they have internal experience to boot now

SeaSickMama

Expert Member
If anything the new battlefield looks good plus the e usually been better than COD

YoungSandwich

zf5pkugg3vg71.jpg

In my mind - it's not just that they had woman in Battlefield, I feel like the majority of people didn't have that issue - it's that they had a woman in Battlefield with one arm who could 1v1 Batman on a bad day. The difference here is that Polina Pitrova is based on a real-life Russian historical figure ( Lyudmila "Lady Death" Pavlichenko ) who had 309 confirmed kills. Unknown how many involved vodka sadly. The argument was never that woman can't be in Battlefield - the argument was why did they need to be presented as superheroes in Battlefield.

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
Just did a comparison between Vanguard and Battlefield 1. Activision/Sledgehammer is most definitely taking EA/Dice's game and reimagining it. EA took the risk, Activision is capitalising on it. Obviously it won't be the same game, but it most certainly share the theme.
Battlefield 1 is WW 1?
Do you mean Battlefield V perhaps?

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Ummmm, Isn't Black Ops Cold War not even a year old yet? You, know? That game nobody plays?

And didn't they 'go back' to WW2 in 2017 with Call of duty....WW2?

Jaysus. Just bury the franchise already. They obviously have no clue what to do anymore.
Why would they stop?

As of April 2021, the series has sold over 400 million copies.[1] With new games in the series released annually to blockbuster-level sales, the series is verified by the Guinness World Records as the best-selling first-person shooter game series. It is also the most successful video game franchise created in the United States and the third best-selling video game franchise of all time.

YoungSandwich

Some gameplay that dropped at Gamescom last night.
Say what you will about CoD as a franchise but they do know how to make a pretty looking game.