Calling all journalists – Switch to a career in tech

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
Calling all journalists – Switch to a career in tech

MyBroadband is hiring and wants journalists to apply.

We are looking for a person with a love for technology and a strong English writing ability to join our journalism team.

Whether you are a journalist who likes tech and wants to write about the latest SSDs and fibre connections, or an existing tech journalist who wants to work for the biggest tech news website in South Africa, visit the MyBroadband Careers page and apply.

WAslayer

Expert Member
Where is that other guy who was complaining about his rude colleague and was a journalist as well, just started his career...

whatwhat

Executive Member
And as normal for MyBB job ads it just says "competitive" and no salary range is mentioned.

Which means no one worth their salt is going to apply only to find out after the interviews they offer half of your current salary.

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
And as normal for MyBB job ads it just says "competitive" and no salary range is mentioned.

Which means no one worth their salt is going to apply only to find out after the interviews they offer half of your current salary.
The salary depends on the candidate's experience - hence, no set salary range in the advert.

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
Need a degree so you can copy and paste articles from Bloomberg or they might require you to copy and paste from Buzzfeed :)
The majority of our content is original reporting. MyBroadband is the biggest tech news website in SA, with a growing readership.

saor

Honorary Master
Yes, we are posting an ad again as we are still recruiting.
Maybe lose the arbitrary degree requirement and replace with a requirement for some writing / journo experience? Some people might have blogs or contributions to blogs or actual newsites / newspapers that are extremely well written but won't apply because they don't have a degree in playdough manufacture.

Hellhound105

Expert Member
The majority of our content is original reporting. MyBroadband is the biggest tech news website in SA, with a growing readership.
Then your reporters are working multiple jobs:

https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/us-navy-warships-to-get-new-cloaking-device.1037183/
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/same-technology-used-power-grids-100000660.html
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-07-13/the-same-technology-used-in-power-grids-will-cloak-navy-ships

EDIT : Or in this case, they might be working multiple websites

whatwhat

Executive Member
The salary depends on the candidate's experience - hence, no set salary range in the advert.
You realise what you posted is a contradiction.

Salary depends on the experience
No range

There is no way there isn't a range available as to what you are going to pay based on the experience.

Cloak and dagger ads like these usually suggest the company is too embarrassed to post the range as it's too low for anyone with experience to consider.

In our company we advertise our salary ranges since we pay very good, we are proud of it and we want the best candidates to know we are not going to **** them around when it comes to renumeration.

newjourno

This is what I can say as a Journalist who graduated just over a year ago.

Salaries in general are not good and it is not the fault of the companies. Most Media houses are struggling nowadays because younger people generally don't read print publications. Every year, the amount of Magazines closing down is increasing and I don't really see mainstream papers surviving the next 20 years. Most Journalists nowadays have to Freelance in order to live comfortably.

Smaller companies generally pay badly, they start at around minimum wage for Junior people who are fresh out of college and move up to about R10k. Yes, sometimes you have people who have been working for them for like a decade or more earning less than 10k. Working for most of them is really a crappy experience as you get paid badly, have to work after hours for free and have to work alongside moody people (probably also because they are unhappy with the conditions). This was what caused me to post here earlier which some bored members over here regularly like to reference. There usually is no HR and workplace intimidation by senior staff is common.

Bigger companies usually start off at about 10k for people fresh out of College with Senior Editors earning around 30-35k. The treatment in these companies is generally a lot better and so to are the co-workers. These companies also usually have better environments in general and HR which helps.

I obviously can't comment for MyBB.

WAslayer

Expert Member
FYI, I have a job now which I am happy with and been in for the past four months.
Cool.. just thought I would try get your attention in case you were still looking for something else.. that is all..

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
Yeah. I know of someone that might be interested, but seeing as there isn't a range it's pointless even recommending the ad.

Plus, I'm almost willing to bet that the first requirement from their side will be a payslip. Dark and arcane practices being pushed here. We can't tell you, but you must tell us. Pull the other one.