Calling all journalists – Switch to a career in tech

Excalibur

Expert Member
Yeah. I know of someone that might be interested, but seeing as there isn't a range it's pointless even recommending the ad.

Plus, I'm almost willing to bet that the first requirement from their side will be a payslip. Dark and arcane practices being pushed here. We can't tell you, but you must tell us. Pull the other one.
Had a similar conversation with an HR recently...

HR: "We've got this role..."
Me: "What is the salary range?"
HR: "We'll send you the job spec, send us your payslip then we'll take it from there."

HR sends the job spec, I look at it and respond as follows: "This role is junior compared to my current position so I won't be able to pursue it..."

No payslip sent.

R13...

Honorary Master
Had a similar conversation with an HR recently...

HR: "We've got this role..."
Me: "What is the salary range?"
HR: "We'll send you the job spec, send us your payslip then we'll take it from there."

HR sends the job spec, I look at it and respond as follows: "This role is junior compared to my current position so I won't be able to pursue it..."

No payslip sent.
I had two similar exchanges minus the payslips. One in Cape town and one in Joburg.

[XC] Oj101

Expert Member
Let’s say I have ten years experience writing and copy editing, but no degree. What then? If considered, what would you consider as a ballpark salary?

Mongeasy

The majority of our content is original reporting. MyBroadband is the biggest tech news website in SA, with a growing readership.
This is a pure lie. Most of your news are snippets from other news, never breaking new news.

Mongeasy

Maybe lose the arbitrary degree requirement and replace with a requirement for some writing / journo experience? Some people might have blogs or contributions to blogs or actual newsites / newspapers that are extremely well written but won't apply because they don't have a degree in playdough manufacture.
I have actually applied, more times than I can recall. But since I don't have a degree, they probably just can my application each time - I have a blog to backup my ability and a fair share of IT certifications. Ironic that a tech news website still considers a degree as the be-all, end-all.

Ipwn 4

Expert Member
The majority of our content is original reporting. MyBroadband is the biggest tech news website in SA, with a growing readership.
Haha, you write comedy too? You copy and paste for a living, discussion threads are usually filled with complaints and your Twitter engagement is non existent. Let's not forget that a lot of forum engagement is spam in thread killer threads.