Calls from telemarketers wanting to sell you a trading software.

Sharkssmart1

Yesterday I received a strange phone call which I realised was a scam/spam along the way.

It involved this guy who somehow got my info (I know it happens a lot, but still) and saw I was trading on a trading website.
Now I'll be honest, the phone call was annoying and loud, and the person was speaking loud to phish some information off of me.
They caught my attention because:
  1. They knew who I was,
  2. and they knew I had a trading account.
Anyway, I played along and listened to what they had to say. The person said that they saw I have $250 in my trading account.
That was where the scam/spam label got stapled because...
  1. The trading company I have invested money in (to my knowledge) is South African based (and they trade in ZAR).
  2. Even doing the exchange rate calculation, the amount in ZAR is not even close to $250 (it was about R200 in cryptocurrency).
I still played along just to see how this will play out.
The other side told they have been monitoring me and saw I was struggling to trade and make profit (in reality the last time I traded was in 2017. I still look at the buy/sell prices from time to time on a whim). I told them straight up the last I was trading properly was many years ago and I stopped caring.
Without missing a beat they said that is because I was not making profit (in reality I was a student and just did not waste money gambling on trading).

Then their modus operandi showed their face... they wanted to sell me this software that they say can "help" me trade correctly and profit is guaranteed. In their defence they said it was trial only; but from my knowledge, I am only on one trading service that I have legitimately EFT'd money through and I know my amount on that service is nowhere near $250. And it has been proven that many trading software (not all) will never stop deducing money from your account.

When they told me the software is $100 (about ZAR1750), I just ended the call. They did not call back.

Today however, a different caller called me and when they mentioned 'trading', I straight up told them that I was not interested, and ended the call. Inspecting the number calling me, it appeared to be a cell number weirdly (maybe it is cheaper for the telemarketers to use cellphone instead of the usual alternative.)

Anyway, if you have received a call from this number (+27762906515) or a caller wanting to sell you something similar, feel free to comment.

Snyper564

Executive Member
Had something similar, also trade myself told them thanks but no blocked the number.

LOTR

Anyone who offers to "sell you software" and that it "guarantees to make a profit" for trading is a scam. If the software was "guaranteed to make a profit", why do they need to make a profit by selling it? They should be making a profit by using it.

Shaun108

Executive Member
They also tried called me from 076290651. Truecaller identified it as "Trader Scam".

cguy

Executive Member
Anyone who offers to "sell you software" and that it "guarantees to make a profit" for trading is a scam. If the software was "guaranteed to make a profit", why do they need to make a profit by selling it? They should be making a profit by using it.
Yup - same with courses that try sell you a way to make money trading FX (most common) or such.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Tell them to buy the software for you and use it to trade.
When they hit 5k they can keep the 3k and just give you the 2k to pay for the software.