Can 35mm film lens be used on digital bodies?

Neville

I have a 170-500mm Sigma telescopic lens that I use with my old 35mm film SLR camera.

Is this lens usable on a modern digital SLR camera?

Neuk_

Executive Member
You can probably use it if it is built for the same body manufacturer, for example a Sigma for Canon, etc? My brother used to use his old Nikon film SLR len's on a more modern Nikon dSLR but the dSLR had a full frame sensor which matches the film from what I remember.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Should be usable but you might need to do manual focus/aperture etc. Assuming the mount is compatible, that is. If it's a Nikon compatible lens I suspect you won't be able to use it on a canon DSLR.

Neville

So I need to find Minolta dSLR if I want to use this lens in the current century ... not sure Minolta is that popular anymore...

Neville

Thanks all. You've answered my question.
Who needs Google-Shmoogle when you have the mybroadband community! ;-)

Neuk_

Executive Member
Should be usable but you might need to do manual focus/aperture etc. Assuming the mount is compatible, that is. If it's a Nikon compatible lens I suspect you won't be able to use it on a canon DSLR.

Correct, I think you can get an adapter but that affects focal point which changes the effective focal length of the lens.

aleksandar

Expert Member
So I need to find Minolta dSLR if I want to use this lens in the current century ... not sure Minolta is that popular anymore...
Minolta mount became Sony A mount (Sony bought Minolta) so any Sony A mount camera should be able to use it.
I'm using 22 year old EOS lens with my Canon digital cameras and Fuji via adapter.

Skankhunt

Expert Member
Few years ago my grandpa asked me if I could do something with his old 55-210mm Cosina lens. Everything analogue, including the aperture.

Found an adapter for it online and got it to work on my Canon DSLR.

It works well. Focussing is tricky especially if you're used to autofocus. Works brilliantly for DSLR video though, which is usually manual focus on DSLR's anyway.