Can a phone contract be completed online without a signature in person?

pouroverguy

Expert Member
Edit: typo in the subject that I can't edit - I meant phone contract.
This is probably a dumb question, but here goes anyway.

I tried to apply for a Telkom contract last week online - gave them my debit order details and everything. If I decided to go with another provider like MTN as I need the contract now to be able to trade-in my old S10e, there's no way the contract could be completed with Telkom without me agreeing in person and signing some documents right? Having worries that I'd get the MTN contract and wake up one of these days to find Telkom debited my account and a new phone delivered to me.

Last edited:

killerbyte

Expert Member

I tried to apply for a Telkom contract last week online - gave them my debit order details and everything. If I decided to go with another provider like MTN as I need the contract now to be able to trade-in my old S10e, there's no way the contract could be completed with Telkom without me agreeing in person and signing some documents right? Having worries that I'd get the MTN contract and wake up one of these days to find Telkom debited my account and a new phone delivered to me.
If you agreed to the Terms & conditions over the phone then you are legally bound.

Crimson & Blue

Honorary Master

They usually phone you back after a credit check before the deal goes through. If that hasn't happened you're probably fine.

ChuckMeFarley

No need to sign anything. The Electronic communications and transactions Act 25 of 2002 makes legal provision for the electronic completion of contracts.

My Telkom, Vodacom, Netflix, amazon, various insurance policies, vehicle tracking were all done this way.

Just phone in to cancel the order.