Can a Simcard Be Traced?

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
If it's not registered via RICA. Can a prepaid sim Voda/MTN/Cell C be traceable? I.e as in where the signal/calls/sms's come from, he's specific area etc.
Can the network track him down using he's number only?

kang

What you up to bra?;)

It can be traced to the nearest tower but you need a court order to trace a number and its usually cops only.
I could be so wrong here but thats what I heard.

RSkeens

Expert Member
As dodge as this question sounds, to answer your question, yes they can definitely track you down to a rough area using triangulation. Like in the movies ;)

Velenoso

Expert Member
Yeah but they won't. It is a complete pain in the ass to get the court order to do that. You can pay a P.I to get you the itemised billing printout, but other than that forget it.

The best would be to make the calls you need to make, then chuck the simcard.

MadMailMan

Expert Member
What you up to bra?;)

It can be traced to the nearest tower but you need a court order to trace a number and its usually cops only.
I could be so wrong here but thats what I heard.
Even more acturate than that. Each tower is made up of at least 3 aerial thingies. So they can see what general direction the SIM is in from the tower. Then they look at what signal strength the tower is telling the phone to use which narrows it down to about 150 meters. Scary stuffs. :sick:

skoob

Executive Member
Are you planning on stalking someone?
Someone bugging you?

The sim can get traced. I'm not sure about the court order, but I can't imagine that being too difficult to sort out.

Jola

Honorary Master
Even more acturate than that. Each tower is made up of at least 3 aerial thingies. So they can see what general direction the SIM is in from the tower. Then they look at what signal strength the tower is telling the phone to use which narrows it down to about 150 meters. Scary stuffs. :sick:
But the police have no interest in using this technique to track criminals or to prevent crime.

If they did, nobody would steal cellphones.

And, IMO, it is the cellphone thieves who graduate to become armed robbers & hijackers.

guest2013-1

If a sim card isn't registered through RICA they're going to shut it down anyway, so stop worrying about that person... unless you're the person afraid of being caught out, in that case, yes, they're currently tracing you as we speak

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
Oh ok thanks for the info. No one's bugging me. I'm not planning on bugging someone. And I'm an innocent person up to no bad.

KhoisanX

Expert Member
This is how some vehicle tracking devices work(partially, they also have a locating beacon for an accurate short range fix). So yes, they can find you.

guest2013-1

RICA = Law + Database.

It has nothing to do with the tech itself.
Ahu, but if you're not RICA'ed you would get cut off, so no more sim.

And RICA being a database is then very convenient to go "Ah, so and so lives and so and so and these are all their details"

I'd call that being traced. But apparently I'm not that good with words

jpreid

I can already see the Q's for the last day of Rica Registration , some Vodacom and MTN Stores will be open for 24hrs , I can see this coming , typical Saffers leaving this for the last moment. What i find crazy is that even Contract Clients needs to get Rica , I mean they have our Id's , address & Banking Details, what more do they want???

JHatman

Banned
If it's not registered via RICA. Can a prepaid sim Voda/MTN/Cell C be traceable? I.e as in where the signal/calls/sms's come from, he's specific area etc.
Can the network track him down using he's number only?
The cell towers work exactly like the radar towers of WW2. One or two towers and they'll never know where you are but add a third and they can track your exact location to within a few meters.

If you feel your safety is compromised, simply dump your sim and buy another one.

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master
I can already see the Q's for the last day of Rica Registration , some Vodacom and MTN Stores will be open for 24hrs , I can see this coming , typical Saffers leaving this for the last moment. What i find crazy is that even Contract Clients needs to get Rica , I mean they have our Id's , address & Banking Details, what more do they want???
Agree 100%

I'm going to try and RICA myself with my Vodacom statements :D

JohnSome

If you buy a sim card and only use the number for whatsapp on a different phone and cut up the sim after ? can you still be traced ?