Can an atheist die in peace?

DigiBanks99

Hi guys

The post title is quite explanatory, so you really don't need to read my entire post if you don't want to, but I will attempt to address my view on the matter.

I am not an atheist. This post will not be about encouraging one type of religion, or to convert anyone to a particular religion. It will simply be about why I believe atheists in general will die fearing death.

Here goes:
Atheists believe in no creator and no higher power. Mostly they believe in the existence of everything due to a complex series of "accidents", and therefore believe there is no purpose to anything. If you call yourself an atheist and you believe there is indeed a purpose to life, I've got news for you: you are a theist; albeit an unorthodox one. Considering that there is no purpose to life, I was wondering, why do you fight to live? If you live for family or live to make your life worthwhile, what point is there if you will die, or if you will have to watch your family die? What purpose is there in living? According to your philosophy (for want of a better word), it will all be for naught...

Then again, how do atheists die? I mean, what goes through their mind if they know they are at death's door? Do you try and fight it? Do you try and deny it? Do you consider the unfairness of it all? Can you truly die, knowing you have lived a life with purpose; a life with no regrets; a life that was worth living? It just occurs to me, that if atheists are right, and there is no God (whatever you may choose to call Him/Her), you will know that death is the end of everything and there will be no other chances.

I do not have that fear, whether I'm right or whether I am wrong. I have no fear of death, simply because I believe there is purpose to my life and that there will be life after death for me. If I am wrong and there is no God, I still don't lose, because I will be able to embrace death with hope. I can die right now, not having lived half a century, and I will feel almost excited. I will have no regrets even though my life was far from perfect.

Can atheists truly master death? Can atheists meet death as an equal, or view death with contempt in the way John Donne does in Death be not proud? Personally, I think not. So, whether I am right or whether I am wrong about the existence of God, I simply cannot accept atheism. It is just a glorified form of apathy.

(My 10c):whistling:

RazedInBlack

RazedInBlack
I don't have to master death, nor do I fear death. Atheist die the same way any other religious person would and yes I will die in peace

BTW most religious people fear death as well. Why?

Last edited:

DigiBanks99

BTW most religious people fear death as well. Why?
Can you back this statement?

They fear death, because they do not truly believe or they don't really feel saved. However, the post was about me personally, not about others who call themselves believers.

Geriatrix

Executive Member
I have stared death deep in the eyes, what?, three times the last two years now. True I'm Buddhist, but I was 100% at peace every time. Death can come, I'm ready.

RazedInBlack

RazedInBlack

They fear death, because they do not truly believe or they don't really feel saved. However, the post was about me personally, not about others who call themselves believers.
Sorry no I cannot back that statement with any hard proof. Its simply an opinion formulated over time while conversing with people.

I get your personal observations but this is mine as well.

Nobody "masters death". This is a bit of a silly generalisation to make. More than just that, atheists have far less to worry about when we peg. We do not fear judgement. We do not fear eternal hell. We do not fear eternity. We just whither away, without any recollection of our existence.

You could argue that animals cannot "master death" because they are not theists. If the abstract question is "can an atheist be happy before he dies?" well then the simple answer is yes. Of course. Why wouldn't he/she? If the question is "can an atheist look forward to death?" well then I think it is a severely retarded question...

Nick333

Honorary Master
I don't think anything anyone says will convince you but, for what it's worth, my only fear when it comes to death is pain and suffering as I go. I think I've done ok at this life thing given the circumstances. I don't have any major regrets or aspirations I feel are unfulfilled. I'd like to live as long as possible but life is short, death comes quickly and is for ever so why worry?

ttygt

Religious people may have no fear when they die, but boy are they in for a shock about two seconds later.......

RazedInBlack

RazedInBlack
Can you truly die, knowing you have lived a life with purpose;
Why is purpose such a big factor for christians? Is it so hard to believe you DON'T need one?

you will know that death is the end of everything and there will be no other chances.
Pretty much so yes!

Nick333

Honorary Master
Religious people may have no fear when they die, but boy are they in for a shock about two seconds later.......
No they're not. Thing about death is there is no more anything. You'll never know if you were wrong.

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma

If you truely believe that you will be saved, why are you still here? Go do extreme stuff that puts your life constantly at risk, because you know you have a better place waiting.

Strange thing about Christians... they believe in heaven, but dont really wanna go :)

DigiBanks99

Why is purpose such a big factor for christians? Is it so hard to believe you DON'T need one?
Simply because most people want a life that was worth something. Even if your purpose was to make a positive contribution to someone else's life.

DigiBanks99

If you truely believe that you will be saved, why are you still here? Go do extreme stuff that puts your life constantly at risk, because you know you have a better place waiting.

Strange thing about Christians... they believe in heaven, but dont really wanna go :)
The Bible states that one must not tempt God. He has a purpose for me. Or so I believe. It is not my job to end my life because I feel saved. It is my job to do what He has purposed me for.

Simply because most people want a life that was worth something. Even if your purpose was to make a positive contribution to someone else's life.
Fulfillment can vary from one person the the next. What you consider a life well lived I might consider tedious and boring. What I consider a life well lived could be considered ridiculous by a base jumper's standards. Who's to say that because I don't believe in a deity, I somehow don't have fulfillment in my life? The two are not correlated, yet you''re trying to draw connections between those two dots for some reason...