Can anyone recommend a good 23-24" gaming monitor?

.QQ.

Expert Member
I'm looking for a good 23 or 24" monitor, primary for gaming.

I plan on mounting it along with my two current monitors with :

20130927070737-1.jpg

Much to my dismay, a lot of the new monitors don't have VESA :mad:

For reference, my current monitors are 1000:1 (static), 2ms and would want to get something similar.

.QQ.

Expert Member
Who in their right mind would pay that much for a TN panel monitor? :erm:

A 16:9 one no less :sick:

I think the price tag is due to it being 144Hz and 1ms, a bit out my price range though, and no I'm not QQ from CS...

The Dell looks promising, but the response time is a bit concerning : 8ms (gray to gray)

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
I think the price tag is due to it being 144Hz and 1ms, a bit out my price range though, and no I'm not QQ from CS...

The Dell looks promising, but the response time is a bit concerning : 8ms (gray to gray)

It is a little higher as it's an IPS panel monitor, but it's fantastic. You'll be blown away at the colour differences immediately when comparing to your old monitor. I use it primarly for gaming and it's definitely the best monitor I've ever had. I used to have a Samsung T260 before.

Here's the Anandtech review:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5550/dell-u2412m-16-10-ips-without-breaking-the-bank

Last edited:

Rudimental

Expert Member

It is okay. Coming from a low response time TN panel you will definitely notice motion blur, but you do get used to it. I'm not sure it is worth the extra money over other much cheaper IPS screens for gaming. It also uses PWM to control brightness, and so you may notice flicker or get headaches at lower brightness if you are sensitive to this.

What resolution and size are the other screens?

.QQ.

Expert Member
It is a little higher as it's an IPS panel monitor, but it's fantastic. You'll be blown away at the colour differences immediately when comparing to your old monitor. I use it primarly for gaming and it's definitely the best monitor I've ever had. I used to have a Samsung T260 before.

Here's the Anandtech review:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5550/dell-u2412m-16-10-ips-without-breaking-the-bank

That's quite the endorsement, does sound good. I just found a this LG at takealot, also IPS.

.QQ.

Expert Member
It is okay. Coming from a low response time TN panel you will definitely notice motion blur, but you do get used to it. I'm not sure it is worth the extra money over other much cheaper IPS screens for gaming. It also uses PWM to control brightness, and so you may notice flicker or get headaches at lower brightness if you are sensitive to this.

What resolution and size are the other screens?

That might be annoying, I turn off motion blur in fps's because it bugs me.

The other screens are 23" 1080p, I'm basically looking for something similar to tide me over until 4k becomes more affordable/common.

Joker

Expert Member
If you want pretty games, go for an IPS. If you want to play fps competitively then a 120/144hz TN.

.QQ.

Expert Member
If you want pretty games, go for an IPS. If you want to play fps competitively then a 120/144hz TN.

I'm not looking to play competitively, like I mentioned I'm just looking for a good 60hz monitor to match my other monitors, to tide me over until I go 4k.

Rudimental

Expert Member
I haven't good things about it though.

If you really want to save cash and don't mind 16:9 then rather look at:

http://www.wootware.co.za/dell-professional-p2314h-23-full-hd-led-monitor.html

I got the first though because I need 16:10. I can't stand 16:9 on a computer monitor.

This sounds like a good choice, and would match sizes and resolutions with the other monitors, meaning you could do Eyefinity or Nvidia surround if your graphics card is beefy enough, though I don't know how the two TN monitors would hold up on the sides.

.QQ.

Expert Member
This sounds like a good choice, and would match sizes and resolutions with the other monitors, meaning you could do Eyefinity or Nvidia surround if your graphics card is beefy enough, though I don't know how the two TN monitors would hold up on the sides.

Yeah I wonder about that as well, and how well it will work if I pair my current 2ms (BTB) monitors with a 8ms (GTG) central monitor.

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
Yeah I wonder about that as well, and how well it will work if I pair my current 2ms (BTB) monitors with a 8ms (GTG) central monitor.

Perfectly.

Your Dell will be the main monitor for gaming/movies and the tn you put to the side for forums and stuff.

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
I could have done the same with my T260, but couldn't stand the quality difference. Will rather get another Dell early next year.

Once you get a proper monitor it changes everything.

Kind of like the difference before and after getting an SSD.

.QQ.

Expert Member
I could have done the same with my T260, but couldn't stand the quality difference. Will rather get another Dell early next year.

Once you get a proper monitor it changes everything.

Kind of like the difference before and after getting an SSD.

That's a pretty huge difference, it might end up bugging me too then. The Dell looks pretty great, I'm not particularly concerned about 16:9 vs 16:10. Thanks for the help!

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
I noticed there is also this http://www.wootware.co.za/dell-e2414h-e-series-24-full-hd-1920x1080-led-anti-glare-monitor.html which seems fairly similar except that the response time is faster, but is a TN panel.

From what I understand the IPS panels generally have better colours but slower response times, where the TN panels colours aren't as good but have a faster response time, is that correct?

Yes.

A good IPS is like looking out a window. You just compare the two. It's one of those things where once you try it, you never go back.