can i connect to other wifi networks,by using netgear wifi router only,no wifi card

jxharding

Expert Member
hi, i have windows xp sp3
and netgear G 54 wifi adsl router 802.11g http://www.netgear.com/home/products/wirelessrouters/simplesharing/WGR614.aspx
i managed to setup the router by going into http://192.168.0.1
and i can connect my blackberry to this router

my question is, is there a way that i can connect to other wifi networks,(without having to buy a wifi netword card?)
i dont have the icon in my system tray for wireless network connections, seeing that i dont have a wireless network card in my pc.

is there a way i can use the wifi adsl router instead of a wifi network card?

Venomous

Honorary Master
The network card or a USB dongle would be the easiest way of connecting to a wifi network

Pada

Executive Member
I don't quite understand your question / setup that you would like to have.

It sounds to me like you have a working ADSL modem that is also a WiFi AP, but now you want to connect with your PC (that doesn't have a WiFi module) to someone else's WiFi AP.
Or do you just want to connect to your ADSL modem with your PC, whether its via LAN cable or WiFi?

Most WiFi AP's can only be in Client or AP mode, and then you get WiFi repeaters that can work as Client and AP simultaneously (WDS).

jxharding

Expert Member
It sounds to me like you have a working ADSL modem that is also a WiFi AP, but now you want to connect with your PC (that doesn't have a WiFi module) to someone else's WiFi AP.

yip thats what im trying to do, trying to connect to another wifi network near me.
i'll be getting a wifi usb card, (no open pci-e slots), any suggestions? i checked out matrixwarehouse (nothing) ,Incredible.co.za(nothing) and
esquire (nothing)

PsyWulf

Honorary Master
Or option2 - A Wireless network bridge,has a RJ45 connection and can act as a Wireless client

If you can't sacrifice any USB ports

Pada

Executive Member
I'm still not sure as to why you'd want to connect to another WiFi AP and not to yours...

jxharding

Expert Member
thanks for the info on the Wireless network bridge, i did not know of the existence of this piece of hardware, would have been perfect but i see its a pretty penny

@pada,
my setup : i dont have ADSL at home, but i have an ADSL router which i got for free and which i wanted to use to setup a network.
I setup the adsl router via the web-interface ,and now i can hook up other machines to this network AP

The challenge i have now, is that my neighbour now said i can klap in some money and hook up to his ADSL which i can access via his wifi AP

i thought it'd be possible to not buy a wifi netword card , and by some means be able to connect via the existing router, but it does not seem that way unfortunately

so i'll just get a USB Wifi and i'm ready then?

Pada

Executive Member
Ah OK, that explains everything.

Check if your ADSL modem can change it's WiFi AP to a Client mode, in which case you should be able to connect to your neighbour's WiFi AP. This would mean that you don't have to get any additional hardware.
Most ADSL modems won't have this capability though, so you'll have to resort to getting either a WiFi router that can act as a client OR to get a WiFi USB module.

jxharding

Expert Member
@pada you're right, this AP doesn't have client mode unfortunately. Went to matrix warehouse - R250 for a wireless pci network card, damn