Can I employ a child to do part time work?

happyCoder

If you are just paying him a few hundred rand no one will honestly care. Just send him some money into his bank account as a gift and a thank you. No need for formal contract etc. It is just some fun for the kid.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Ye, but I would feel bad. The kid has the aptitude and inclination for it and could provide a valuable service for 3 hours a week. I'd like to pay him fairly to keep him interested.
Look at it this way, you're giving him a free education and actual working experience, it's essentially an apprenticeship.

Anyway sounds to me that you actually need help with your work and putting too much faith that this kid is going to be your saving grace.

Forza

You can't employ the child but can have an agreement with the parents for payment of the work done.

I'm sure advertisement companies pay kids for appearing in ads but contractually between the parents.

RedViking

Nord of the South
I got paid R100 a day at the age of 13 to give CAD lessons at my school :ROFL: It was all cash though. I also got paid a couple of thousand to draw and submit a house plan, age 13 as well.

Good 'ol days.

neoprema

Expert Member
"Please watch this video on video editing while you glue these shoe parts together. Remember the Nike swoosh you must attach upside down to avoid Copyright issues"

RedViking

Nord of the South
I do some video editing and streaming from home as part of my business. A friend of mine has a 12 year old that has shown a keen interest in what I do. I'd like to train the kid to work an atem mini and do live broadcasts once a week. I'd like to pay him to keep him interested (he would also obviously be providing value by helping with the broadcasts). Is this legal?

Instead of paying the kid. Ask the parents to open a savings account and "donate" to the facings account. The rest is educational. He can access the money when he reaches the eligible age.

C4Cat

Honorary Master
He should be paying you for the education you are providing

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
You can't officially employ him no.

But doing some training and helping him learn and then paying something into a bank account set up by his folks as "pocket" money can't hurt.. You just can't expect him to work x amount of hours a week, and have all that formal employment stuff in place officially.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Maybe, but the OP specifically said "I'd like to train the kid..."
/puts on spectacles

Oh.. my bad.

giphy.gif

C4Cat

Honorary Master
So no issues?
I think one issue is whether or not the OP will be profiting off the work done by the child. I don't see any issues with him teaching skills and giving him projects to do. If he is charging clients/customers for the work done though then that is a whole different kettle of fish

Crayons

I've seen this episode on law and order. The old guy luring an underage kid to make videos.

Thugscub

Expert Member
Throw the kid on to the street. The little turd can go and beg.
Do your own work.
No government troubles then.

berrypi

the amount of PC here... *barf* Just teach the kid. Give him cash for cooldrink money. Kla. Making it more complicated than what it is. If you getting paid for YOUR work, fine, but 90% of you on here did some work as a kid to get exposure and understanding to see if "this is for you".... so just get the kid to see what its about, if he likes it, cool, if not... go cut the grass....

If you wanna employ.... then no. How many, talented successful adults all have the story ( i helped out a family friend, and figured out im good at it)

deweyzeph

Executive Member
I'm no labour expert but it would appear to me that the Basic Conditions of Employment Act is clearly trying to stop the exploitation of children in sweatshops, factories, mines, etc. Paying a 12 year old a few bucks to do some video editing is hardly the same thing.

RedViking

Nord of the South
I think the problem is "employing" a child. Maybe that is not the best wording or way to approach it.

But giving a child an opportunity to learn and rewarding them for when they do well, is not a problem.