Can I restore Win 10 to a drive other than current C:

DeonH

Hi and thanks for your help.

Bought Lenovo Desktop with Win 10 on February 2020. Wanted to upgrade the drives and bought 2 x SSD's.

Current setup: Friday afternoon.
512GB SSD M.2 (Empty, just installed & initialised it. Wants it to be new system drive)
C: 1TB HDD : Windows system and all other files.
D: 1TB SSD SATA : some backed files from C: : Wants to make this the Data drive

I have a rescue disc (USB). Previously when I needed to do a clean install, it was easy. It deleted C: completely and re-installed Windows.
But now, I want the system to boot from the USB rescue disc BUT restore to the M.2 SSD.

Every time it boots from the USB, but wants to rescue to the current C-drive.

I will really appreciate if someone can advise me on how to accomplish this. The last option will be to copy all the files in my profile to the new 1TB SSD, empty the system folders on C-drive and clone the old C-drive and make the 512GB SSD the new C-drive ... but this feels like there must be an easier way.

Thanks so long.

Clone your C drive to the new m.2, plenty of tools out there to do this.

Boot off the new drive and wipe the old one.

DeonH

Clone your C drive to the new m.2, plenty of tools out there to do this.

Boot off the new drive and wipe the old one.
Thanks. I have the correct software to clone the drive ... but, M.2 drive is 512GB and old C-drive (1TB) has more than 512GB used. Am I right in saying that I cannot clone ±800GB to a 512GB drive.

What I was thinking is to just disconnect the old C and rescue to my new SSD M.2 or is there a way in BIOS to tell Windows not to detect the old C-drive?

Last edited:

Dimpie (COMPUTEK)

Executive Member
....but isn't the rescue image then also more than 500Gb if it is an image of C: ??

Is there nothing on C you can copy to D to make the size smaller for the clone? ... you'll need to bring it down to at least 400Gb as you don't want to sit with a completely full C on that M.2

DeonH

Thanks for the replies everyone.

At the end I pulled all hard drive cables and left the M.2 SSD. Used the recovery USB and installed a clean installation, something I wanted to do anyway.
I am amased at the speed of this drive. Unbelievable. .