Can LED light bulbs damage your eyes?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Let us know if you find any descent energy efficient bulbs. I gave up looking and just went back to incandescent and halogen except for outside lighting.

I read with red tinted incandescents before bed.
Wat? They are all more energy efficient than any incandescent or halogen option.

In my experience both Osram and Philips can bugger off.

Especially when it comes to GU10 it's Ellies all the way if you want a nice wide angle, high lumens and cheap LED that uses a diffuser to spread the light, instead of basically giving you a 3 LED spotlight that is generally too warm or too cold.

Cool white as a concept should bugger off from just about everything.

Geoff.D

Executive Member
Just had a look at our local PnP They have the 7W Day/night sensors ( cool white) and the 20W floods. That is the LED selection. Stacks of CFLs, and incandescents both halogen and old style 60W.

Geoff.D

Executive Member
My experience with Ellies LED has been terrible. The manufacturing quality is bad to terrible. Like the diffuser idea but other suppliers now also do that. Cut a few of them open to see what I could salvage when they failed.
Really low cost components, extremely poor capacitors and incredibly bad soldering on the LED clusters.
Also not that efficient. Certainly nowhere near the 80% they claim more like 65-70%. Lots of heat generated by the AC-DC converter.

Suspect99

Executive Member
My experience with Ellies LED has been terrible. The manufacturing quality is bad to terrible. Like the diffuser idea but other suppliers now also do that. Cut a few of them open to see what I could salvage when they failed.
Really low cost components, extremely poor capacitors and incredibly bad soldering on the LED clusters.
Also not that efficient. Certainly nowhere near the 80% they claim more like 65-70%. Lots of heat generated by the AC-DC converter.
Ive bought a range of LED bulbs. And LED flourescent tube replacements. I've used a efergy energy monitor to monitor their energy usage and they were very close to the claimed usage on the box. I've cut my lighting bill to half of what it was with CFL's and the light is brighter.

Magnum

Expert Member
Did the LED fail or the power supply? or both?

It is more the powersupply that fails and destroys the connected LED. since we running 340V on a 3V LED.

Suspect99

Executive Member
I had an old chandelier in the lounge with 12 small 60W incandescents! Ridiculously expensive to run. I replaced it with a 3*6W LED fitting and its much brighter and a fraction of the cost to run

Geoff.D

Executive Member
But not as pretty!
Did the LED fail or the power supply? or both?

It is more the power supply that fails and destroys the connected LED. since we running 340V on a 3V LED.
Yes probably, the power supply fails and then pops a few LEDs before cuttting the power. The poor soldering contributed because so many LEDs were not working anyway in the arrays.

Geoff.D

Executive Member
Ive bought a range of LED bulbs. And LED flourescent tube replacements. I've used a efergy energy monitor to monitor their energy usage and they were very close to the claimed usage on the box. I've cut my lighting bill to half of what it was with CFL's and the light is brighter.
No question about the overall savings of power with LEDs.Just some makes are not as efficient as their packaging claims.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I know that... but the colour spectrum is shite. I value my health more than my electricity bill...
You can get perfectly decent Warm Whites.

I moved into this house which was like a bloody morgue due to all the blue light so I know where you are coming from.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
These are pretty (LED filament lights), and can have the LED filaments in interesting patterns. Someone is our neighbourhood has them in their garden lights, looks good.

View attachment 649232
Bought a couple 2w candle bulbs like that today.

All our LEDs are warm white - can't stand the blue hue of the cool light ones.

I get most of mine from Checkers - R29 for most of them and I haven't had to replace any yet.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Which type of bulbs specifically?

I've not had a single GU10 downlight fail....yet I have multiple Osram's that died which is why Ellies won me over when I expected them to be utterly shite.

Also Osram tend to "zing" and needed multiple returns to get it right.

I can only think you are referring to the massive lights since you mention clusters.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Bought a couple 2w candle bulbs like that today.

All our LEDs are warm white - can't stand the blue hue of the cool light ones.

I get most of mine from Checkers - R29 for most of them and I haven't had to replace any yet.
Lumaglo's? Yeah, most of mine are those.

Trust|Nobody

I've got two Energizer torches, one handheld (400 lumen) and the other a headlight (100 lumen), both have LEDs. I can't look at directly at these bulbs either.

With my CFLs I can look directly at the bulb almost indefinitely.
With the LEDs I can't look directly at the bulb for longer than 3 seconds. This goes for the torches to.

That's no typo, 3 seconds.

Geoff.D

Executive Member
Which type of bulbs specifically?

I've not had a single GU10 downlight fail....yet I have multiple Osram's that died which is why Ellies won me over when I expected them to be utterly shite.

Also Osram tend to "zing" and needed multiple returns to get it right.

I can only think you are referring to the massive lights since you mention clusters.
A pity I did not keep the photos I took at the time. The Ellies LEDs bulbs I opened all had a plate covered with LEDs mounted into a grid divided into clusters. In each of the clusters, the failed LED had burnt out LEDs. Each cluster also had a number of LEDs that had never been soldered properly, with one or both legs unconnected to the backplane matrix.

I will cut open the next one that fails. I have two Ellies LED bayonet bulbs currently working. One is already showing signs of failure ( only 500 hours service time).

isie

Honorary Master
I've got two Energizer torches, one handheld (400 lumen) and the other a headlight (100 lumen), both have LEDs. I can't look at directly at these bulbs either.

With my CFLs I can look directly at the bulb almost indefinitely.
With the LEDs I can't look directly at the bulb for longer than 3 seconds. This goes for the torches to.

That's no typo, 3 seconds.
1556047978270.png