Can not access some Gov websites, (is it just me?)

BasBas

Hi, im not sure if something is misconfigured on my side or if the following gov websites are actually down.
I can not access Eskom's website or the City Of Ekurhuleni's website.
ESKOM ODP
CoE

cantankerous

Nope, seems their domains can't be queried. The nameservers they resolve to ns1.iafrica.com and ns2.iafrica.com both don't exist... @rpm and @bwana interesting story here - these are domains of national significance and both are down.

gregmcc

Honorary Master
Must be some big issue. Seems like all the iafrica servers have disappeared.

About the same time BF stopped working as well.

BasBas

Interesting, i thought it would have been something more localized as both companies are based in Germiston.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Nope, seems their domains can't be queried. The nameservers they resolve to ns1.iafrica.com and ns2.iafrica.com both don't exist... @rpm and @bwana interesting story here - these are domains of national significance and both are down.
@Jan might be a safer bet.

BasBas

This is interesting to me. Can someone explain why websites like this would still use name servers from a company that has not existed in years, would it not be benificial for M-Web to kill the i africa equipment and force everyone over?

gregmcc

Honorary Master
Once people start using a name server for their DNS is hard to get rid of it as all the clients will need to update their DNS records and point to new name servers.
Iafrica.com name servers are probably just there for legacy systems.

Maybe someone finally decided to switch them off without realising :)

BasBas

Once people start using a name server for their DNS is hard to get rid of it as all the clients will need to update their DNS records and point to new name servers.
Iafrica.com name servers are probably just there for legacy systems.

Maybe someone finally decided to switch them off without realising :)
I wonder which other websites are down... hmmm

gregmcc

Honorary Master
Someone switched the servers on again :D

PING ns1.iafrica.com (196.7.0.139) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from ns1.mtnbusiness.net (196.7.0.139): icmp_seq=1 ttl=50 time=153 ms
64 bytes from ns1.mtnbusiness.net (196.7.0.139): icmp_seq=2 ttl=50 time=153 ms

Domains are all working again.

Last edited:
I'm sure many people would not like to loose their @iafrica.com addresses.

MWEB has been having some hectic email server issues over the past week.

BasBas

I'm sure many people would not like to loose their @iafrica.com addresses.

MWEB has been having some hectic email server issues over the past week.
Many people including my father :) I keep on nagging him that its time to make the switch.

I wonder what went wrong hmm...

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Thanks, folks. Monitored this over the weekend and all was working again on Sunday. Looks like they were working on stuff over the weekend.

rvZA

Executive Member
Thanks, folks. Monitored this over the weekend and all was working again on Sunday. Looks like they were working on stuff over the weekend.

I know the National Archives, some weekends shut their server down for the weekend. Not sure why, as there are no planned work on it. In addition, during loadshedding they do not swictch it on either, it stays off.

BasBas

I know the National Archives, some weekends shut their server down for the weekend. Not sure why, as there are no planned work on it. In addition, during loadshedding they do not swictch it on either, it stays off.
The National Archives of South Africa website is among the most terrible, un-user-friendly websites I have ever visited. It looks like it belongs in the 90s.