Can send and receive emails, but cant go online?

AutoX

Expert Member
Does anyone have the same problem? Can receive emails and send emails but cant go online for the past 3 days with my 3G Pci card.

What will be the solution for this?:confused:

vodacom3g

Vodacom Representative
Does anyone have the same problem? Can receive emails and send emails but cant go online for the past 3 days with my 3G Pci card.

What will be the solution for this?:confused:
How did you post this? ;)

Sounds like you cannot do HTTP on port 80 but can do other protocols.

Do you use your PC on more than network? For example at work on the LAN or on WiFi at work/home?

Do you use a proxy server? Have you checked it's disabled when you connect via 3G?

Did you check firewall rules maybe?

If you can update your location information we can see if other 3G users in your area have the same problem. If internet browsing id down for 3 days all hell would've broken loose by now, so it's either something on your system or local to your area.

FireTelkom

The Vodacom network seems to be highly erratic and is giving this kind of problems for the last few weeks. I am experiencing the same where I could receive emails this morning but not access the internet at all. I am also experiencing the following since the 4th week of January with my Linksys wireless router and Option HSPDA card:

1. Card show Vodacom and HSPDA network with signal strength good but router is unable to connect, or
2. Card connects on HSPDA but no communication takes place
3. Card shows connected but now traffic and network name change to "limited service"
4. Card will show HSPDA and Vodacom with signal strenght changing from good to no service and back and continuing like this
5. Can connect from time to time with good speeds and then later back to problems above.
6. Speedtest when connected show much slower communication form my card back to tower than before (used to get about 350bps and now 109 or lower)
7. Can connect to GPRS but slower than 9600bps dial up.

I am calling Vodacom regularly and received last Friday the following reference number: 52-qwz2k-kzny5. Vodacom called me this morning to say problems where experienced but resolved but not according to my experience. Can you perhaps help Vodacom3G

(Send from office)

FireTelkom

vodacom3g

Vodacom Representative
The Vodacom network seems to be highly erratic and is giving this kind of problems for the last few weeks. I am experiencing the same where I could receive emails this morning but not access the internet at all. I am also experiencing the following since the 4th week of January with my Linksys wireless router and Option HSPDA card:

1. Card show Vodacom and HSPDA network with signal strength good but router is unable to connect, or
2. Card connects on HSPDA but no communication takes place
3. Card shows connected but now traffic and network name change to "limited service"
4. Card will show HSPDA and Vodacom with signal strenght changing from good to no service and back and continuing like this
5. Can connect from time to time with good speeds and then later back to problems above.
6. Speedtest when connected show much slower communication form my card back to tower than before (used to get about 350bps and now 109 or lower)
7. Can connect to GPRS but slower than 9600bps dial up.

I am calling Vodacom regularly and received last Friday the following reference number: 52-qwz2k-kzny5. Vodacom called me this morning to say problems where experienced but resolved but not according to my experience. Can you perhaps help Vodacom3G

(Send from office)

FireTelkom
PM me all of the above inserted in all the other stuff I need (as per my sig) and I'll ask.

Steinie

For what it's worth:

I switched from iBurst to Vodacom in September 2007. I connect around 8 or 9 am every day and remain connected continuously until at least midnight without any disconnects, except sometimes during the odd severe thunderstorm.

Over the last week or two, I have had unexpected disconnects (up to 3 per day) every day.

What's up with this? :confused:

AutoX

Expert Member
How did you post this? ;)

Sounds like you cannot do HTTP on port 80 but can do other protocols.

Do you use your PC on more than network? For example at work on the LAN or on WiFi at work/home?

Do you use a proxy server? Have you checked it's disabled when you connect via 3G?

Did you check firewall rules maybe?

If you can update your location information we can see if other 3G users in your area have the same problem. If internet browsing id down for 3 days all hell would've broken loose by now, so it's either something on your system or local to your area.
Ughhh... I posted with a pc....:D ( from work )

Anyway thanks for your response, I appreciate this.

I have talked with Vodacom a couple of times today and then they say this and then they say that.

Up to know I have done a full reset of my browser to default and flushed the DNS. Also have cleaned the cookies and history for what its worth.

Its only one laptop and its not on a home network or any network for that matter.

Dont use a proxy and my default dial up connection is 3G preferred.

In regards to the firewall I have enabled and disabled this and still nothing.

Im located in Silverlakes / Pretoria

Looking forward to your suggestions and thans for the help.:)

ic

White Walker [wearing a MyBroadband Jacket]
Super Moderator
Ughhh... I posted with a pc....:D ( from work )

Anyway thanks for your response, I appreciate this.

I have talked with Vodacom a couple of times today and then they say this and then they say that.

Up to know I have done a full reset of my browser to default and flushed the DNS. Also have cleaned the cookies and history for what its worth.

Its only one laptop and its not on a home network or any network for that matter.

Dont use a proxy and my default dial up connection is 3G preferred.

In regards to the firewall I have enabled and disabled this and still nothing.

Im located in Silverlakes / Pretoria

Looking forward to your suggestions and thans for the help.:)
If you're sure it's not your firewall s/w, then it sounds like malware could be the problem, even an Intranet Exploder [searchforum]BHO[/searchforum], install Firefox if you haven't already done so - download it from your work PC...

Moederloos

Honorary Master
Is the mail set to a DNS name or IP?
Mine for example is an IP - so I would be able to send emails but not browse if DNS was borked.

ic

Super Moderator
Mine for example is an IP - so I would be able to send emails but not browse if DNS was borked.
That's a good point, maybe [searchforum]OpenDNS[/searchforum] would be worth trying in AutoX's case.

vodacom3g

Vodacom Representative
valid point.

What happens if you type in http://64.233.161.104 in your browser?

Can you see Google?

Check in IE (your browser) under the 'File' tab if 'Work Offline' is not maybe ticked.

AutoX

Expert Member
Thanks for the response guys. I appreciate it. Will get back to you on monday in this regard

fismail

First do a ipconfig /flushdns and then run the command below.

Type netsh winsock reset at the command prompt (start , run , cmd , enter or ok) and once the command executes , try and browse the www via your default web browser.

Depending on how corrupt the winsock cache is , you may be able to browse without rebooting your computer otherwise run the command again and reboot and try again and if using Internet Explorer , set the disk cache to 50mb and to check for newer pages on every visit to the page.

Frankie

Executive Member
For the past three days I have experienced similar problems, but in my case It's effecting email and web browsing.

Here's the report I've just sent off to VC as per V3G sig.

1) Your first name - ***
2) Your last name - *****
3) Contact tel. number - 072-909 ****
4) E-mail addr. ******@hotmail.com
5) Area you're in - PE. Humewood
6) Physical address, if relevant - Cathcart Road
7) Cell number under discussion - 079*******
8) Full description of the problem, including any info you already posted in the forum itself. There is no easy way to tie the info together and I cannot search the forum to try and link various posts together.
8a) The APN your using - internet
8b) Contract type (pre-paid, contract, hybrid) - prepaid
8c) Bundle type & size - 2G
9) Anything else you can think of, history, etc. - I have until now had speeds of around 2000 kbps and reliable connection, but now the connection drops very often and at times it shows connected but cannot open web sites
10) device - Bandlux C100 - Bandrich

Speed at 7:29

Download Speed: 657 kbps (82.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 230 kbps (28.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

In addition to the low speed as can be seen above, the latency is very poor.

AutoX

Expert Member
If you're sure it's not your firewall s/w, then it sounds like malware could be the problem, even an Intranet Exploder [searchforum]BHO[/searchforum], install Firefox if you haven't already done so - download it from your work PC...
:) Seems like the IE browser was corrupted, I have installed Firefox and everything is working perfectly again. :)Thanks ic!:)

vodacom3g

Vodacom Representative
:) Seems like the IE browser was corrupted, I have installed Firefox and everything is working perfectly again. :)Thanks ic!:)
Don't encourage the man!, if he had half a chance we'd all be on Ubuntu / Firefox / GMail ;)

(Actually why not, I run Ubuntu (and XP) in virtual machines on my 3GHz Quadcore, 4GB RAM Vista system, and they both run faster than the host OS. Such fun being an early adopter.....:rolleyes:)

ic

Super Moderator
While that is great news, I hate to have to break it to you, but I think malware must have been the cause of Intranet Exploder's corruption - best to run a lot of scans with reputable anti-malware s/w...
Don't encourage the man!, if he had half a chance we'd all be on Ubuntu / Firefox / GMail ;)
Absolutely :).
(Actually why not, I run Ubuntu (and XP) in virtual machines on my 3GHz Quadcore, 4GB RAM Vista system, and they both run faster than the host OS. Such fun being an early adopter.....:rolleyes:)
Is that M$' virtual whatsit thingy? - faster in a VM than the host OS :confused:

gboy

Expert Member
I had exacly the same problem, late saterday and sunday.

I tried on 2 different laptops with 2 different usb modems. same problem

this was in the Grand Central area of Midrand, near galleger estate.

also thought it was some sort of DNS issue, as email, msn ect worked but no internet, on firefox / IE on both machines,

had problems most of the day untill i gave up.

ic

Super Moderator
I had exacly the same problem, late saterday and sunday.

I tried on 2 different laptops with 2 different usb modems. same problem

this was in the Grand Central area of Midrand, near galleger estate.

also thought it was some sort of DNS issue, as email, msn ect worked but no internet, on firefox / IE on both machines,

had problems most of the day untill i gave up.
There was a [regional] DNS issue yesterday - check v3g's posts from yesterday & today.