Can sites like Reddit see your real IP address when you're behind a proxy?

bigcat

I was trying to create a reddit account but didn't want to use my real IP address for it. So when I was trying to find a working proxy I kept refreshing the site to test each one, then when I found one it told me they have been getting too much requests from my computer and I had to wait like 10 minutes before I could sign up. How did they then know that all the requests were being made by the same PC when I was behind a proxy? I even tested the IP to check that it was different from my real one and it was.

Bernie

Expert Member
Try ipleak.net website. It will show what details you connecting with. If you see your real IP then you may not be connecting through the proxy you think you are. Maybe try a VPN instead or CloudFlare warp.

WAslayer

Executive Member
Your IP address is not the only unique identifier in the request.. there are other values such as the user agent and even cookies employed by website to track and manage sessions..

syntax

Executive Member
I was trying to create a reddit account but didn't want to use my real IP address for it. So when I was trying to find a working proxy I kept refreshing the site to test each one, then when I found one it told me they have been getting too much requests from my computer and I had to wait like 10 minutes before I could sign up. How did they then know that all the requests were being made by the same PC when I was behind a proxy? I even tested the IP to check that it was different from my real one and it was.
Was it saying too many requests from your computer or from your IP. If multiple PC's are using that proxy its conceivable that they have also made same requests on same site and have hit the limit.

Also as WAslayer has said, there are other identifiers that can be used.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
It’s quite likely when using a proxy as many people would be using that proxy with the same IP address and then the flag is valid.

A VPN would be better.

However why on earth would you care if Reddit has your IP upon registration? Do you plan to use a proxy every time you use Reddit?

WAslayer

Executive Member
It’s quite likely when using a proxy as many people would be using that proxy with the same IP address and then the flag is valid.

A VPN would be better.

However why on earth would you care if Reddit has your IP upon registration? Do you plan to use a proxy every time you use Reddit?
Keyboard warrior looking for his next battlefield trying to stay anonymous..?