Can VDSL 20mbps work with an ADSL router

m.zakariyya.g

I've upgraded to a 20mbps line. My ADSL router says themaximum supported speed is 26mbps, and for 2 days or so, the line works perfectly at 20mbps. All of a sudden, the line will start to synch at 12 or 14 mbps according to the stats on the router. A Telkom technician came, and tested his VDSL router, which registered a pass" according to a test he ran. My ADSL router failed the same test. He blamed the issue on my router, but I don't understand why it's giving problems with this. He also tried to sell me the VDSL router on the side, even though he admitted he wasn't allowed to - so I'm not sure if he was just trying to make a quick buck, and thus not informing me of the actual issue. He said I am close enough to the exchange, and I have ADSL filters installed at every phone plug in point in the house.

I'm currently using a TP Link W8961N router.

Does anyone have experience in using VDSL 20mbps with an ADSL router. Is there anything I can do?

chrismine

I use VDSL 20 Mbps with TD-W9970 TP-Link.
The router needs to be VDSL compatible, otherwise will not work. You need to change the modulation to VDSL and need to create a wan profile.

Dan C

Honorary Master
I've upgraded to a 20mbps line. My ADSL router says themaximum supported speed is 26mbps, and for 2 days or so, the line works perfectly at 20mbps. All of a sudden, the line will start to synch at 12 or 14 mbps according to the stats on the router. A Telkom technician came, and tested his VDSL router, which registered a pass" according to a test he ran. My ADSL router failed the same test. He blamed the issue on my router, but I don't understand why it's giving problems with this. He also tried to sell me the VDSL router on the side, even though he admitted he wasn't allowed to - so I'm not sure if he was just trying to make a quick buck, and thus not informing me of the actual issue. He said I am close enough to the exchange, and I have ADSL filters installed at every phone plug in point in the house.

I'm currently using a TP Link W8961N router.

Does anyone have experience in using VDSL 20mbps with an ADSL router. Is there anything I can do?
Yeah, you need a new modem... not necessary a router. As mentioned above the TD-W9970 is a good all in one.

m.zakariyya.g

Yeah, you need a new modem... not necessary a router. As mentioned above the TD-W9970 is a good all in one.
I just don't understand why it works for days at times. 20mbps - flawless 2MB/S download speeds. I've read ADSL2+ can handle 20mbps/

Dan C

Honorary Master
I just don't understand why it works for days at times. 20mbps - flawless 2MB/S download speeds. I've read ADSL2+ can handle 20mbps/
Yes ADSL can handle those speeds. VDSL on the other hand is better in upload speed and can go up to 40 Mbps

m.zakariyya.g

Yes ADSL can handle those speeds. VDSL on the other hand is better in upload speed and can go up to 40 Mbps
But then why does the router constantly start to synch at 12mbps on the line, and the only thing that can fix it is for Telkom to resynch the line on their side?