Can you achieve analog telephone comms over powerline?

joppenheim

Hi there

Does anybody know of a powerline-type device that would allow analog telephone communication?

I have purchased a house and it has the incoming Telkom line into one of the rooms, but we need to extend the line to the rest of the house. Normally, you run extra cabling throughout the house.

This is messy. Telkom will do it for you for a cost and a monthly charge, but finesse is not their strong point especially in a large multi-story house (the cable is normally glued into place using a glue-gun and the drilling of holes is required where roof access is not possible).

What I would like to do, is to run the telephone system off the power system in the same way you can achieve ethernet-over-powerline.

I dont want to go neccessarily with voice-over-IP due to inconsistent links and quality (I am far from the Telkom exchange).

What options are there?
Joe

joppenheim

Thanks Colin

We already do where we can.
Unfortunately, you have to a) share the cordless phones and b) have a group of cordless in one room which need to be continually recharged.

This is acceptable as a temporary solution but not as a permanent solution.

Maybe a PABX solution runs over powerline?

Regards
Joe

ColinR

Expert Member
You'd have to share the one line anyway though? We have that trio system, one in the kitchen, one in the study, and in the bedroom. All running off the same base.
Your other option (I've been threatening to buy for ages) is a VOIP PABX.

The you run powerline comms, and use a voip phone on the other side. Phone and data sorted.

joppenheim

Hi Colin

I think a hybrid VOIP solution is the right answer:
1. PBX connects to legacy analog line
2. PBX connects via ethernet to switch
3. Switch connects to powerline
4. Each phone in use is an ethernet based system connecting via powerline back to the PBX which converts back to analog.

While internally they use VOIP, it still runs off the analog line.

The only cable in use is the home power.

Thanks Colin!
Joe

Joe

joppenheim

Any suggestions on a decent powerline solution?
(Industrial functions and cost not required)

Joe