Votes: 352 90.0%
  • No, never learned how

Votes: 24 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 15 3.8%

• Total voters

Sepeng

Expert Member
I always find there's that one nut that you have to break your back loosening. And it's always the last one you're trying to loosen. And that's true of any automotive job - I'll be cruising along, 90% done and that last pin or clamp or whatever won't fit the way the others did.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I always find there's that one nut that you have to break your back loosening. And it's always the last one you're trying to loosen. And that's true of any automotive job - I'll be cruising along, 90% done and that last pin or clamp or whatever won't fit the way the others did.
Get yourself one of these and the appropriate socket - it's worth it.

Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 08.40.16.png

qscwbt

Expert Member
I helped 8x millennials change a tyre on there Figo. Not the owner , passengers or any of his other mates in 3 cars at the roadhouse knew how to change a tyre.

After giggeling for 20 minutes watching them struggle, while finishing my burger, I decided to help. the entire pack of millennials did not even understand how to use a jack, where to place it.

Its actually scary how useless these new generation of guys are.

Cr4ig

Honorary Master
This poll will have a landslide of "yes" votes, given that most of us are male, but I see there are who voted "no"

From those guys I'd like to know if they can at least change their tampon?

Maybe females? My wife for example can't change the tyres on my car, it's too heavy. She can, with some effort and if she really has to, change the tyres on her car though.

The_Donkey

Honorary Master
Maybe females? My wife for example can't change the tyres on my car, it's too heavy. She can, with some effort and if she really has to, change the tyres on her car though.
I taught my wife to change a wheel when she moved in with me way back when. In fact, I taught her before I taught her to drive :thumbsup:

For a female, loosening the nuts is the most difficult part (I think). But my wife is used to nuts

Lupus

Honorary Master
Tyres, brakes, discs, oil, water, plugs, engine mounts, head gasket, cambelt, water pump, radiator, tensioners, pcv system, turbocharger...
Did you drive a landie ;-)
Replaced clutch plate, gearbox, a couple of thermostats, brakepads, brake disks, CV joints, wheel bearings, all pretty much when I was a student and couldn't afford anyone else doing it.

Sepeng

Expert Member
Get yourself one of these and the appropriate socket - it's worth it.

View attachment 959706

Ja got a road trip coming up so might just do. Got one of them cross spanners that normally do the job, and what I'll normally do before a long trip is actually check that I can loosen everything (and make sure everything is tight). Once did my alignment & rotating just before a trip to Durbs and obviously had the Hulk tighten the nuts cos when I tried to loosen the dang thing I'm pretty sure the spanner broke. Which I guess makes me the Hulk as well.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Bicycle?
Motorbike?
Car?

Are we talking (in the case of a car) changing the actual tyre or simply swapping out the wheel with the spare in the case of a flat?

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Ja got a road trip coming up so might just do. Got one of them cross spanners that normally do the job, and what I'll normally do before a long trip is actually check that I can loosen everything (and make sure everything is tight). Once did my alignment just before a trip to Durbs and obviously had the Hulk tighten the nuts cos when I tried to loosen the dang thing I'm pretty sure the spanner broke. Which I guess makes me the Hulk as well.
I've bent a few of those cross type ones - must have been cheaply made. You get some really good leverage with the bar though.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Is changing a tyre part of your automotive skill set?

What else can/do you do in terms of vehicle maintenance?
Everything. I can even do a full overhaul if the need should arise. My panel beating skills might not look too good but, considering most panel beaters use copious quantities of body putty, my efforts may not be that bad in the end.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Bicycle?
Motorbike?
Car?

Are we talking (in the case of a car) changing the actual tyre or simply swapping out the wheel with the spare in the case of a flat?
Most people understand what's being discussed. :)