Votes: 352 90.0%
  • No, never learned how

Votes: 24 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 15 3.8%

• Total voters

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
The real issue is the possibility of not being able to loosen the wheel nut with the "tool" supplied with the vehicle. The tyre shops and garages use air tools to tighten the nuts and invariable over tighten them through slackness of not checking what the torque setting on the tool is.

Then at the side of the road you find that you cannot get any leverage with the joke of a spanner that came with a car. I carry a length of pipe to get better leverage plus I have a decent wheel spanner.

A smart move is to check whether you can undo a wheel nut when you car is sitting in the drive. Better to sort it out then. That's when I added the length of pipe to my car tool kit!

Aside from buying a torque wrench (not cheap), learn how tight you need to crank the wheel nut at a tyre shop or better still at a buddy's place who as a torque wrench. A guy who has a torque wrench in his toolbox is a serious backyard mechanic. He can advise you.
The real smart move is to tell the tyre shop NOT to use an air tool on your wheels! And that is why I watch them like a hawk and if they refuse me entry to the workshop I move on to another tyre shop.

doodlesZHS

My biggest rookie error so far was to buy a low profile hydraulic jack that wasn't aluminum, f-ck me the thing is too heavy for my skinny arms !

qscwbt

Expert Member
Ditto! Those were the days when owning a car was like owning a pet - lots of patience love and care!
Now, all we do is drive the damn thing - and even that is being taken away from us.
those were the days my friend

Stokstert

Executive Member
The real smart move is to tell the tyre shop NOT to use an air tool on your wheels! And that is why I watch them like a hawk and if they refuse me entry to the workshop I move on to another tyre shop.

They should use a torque wrench on Mag rims anyway. I will even loosen up the nuts again at home if they don't have a torque wrench and re-torque them. The same goes for many other items like spark plugs etc..

unobeat

Yes i can.
I can also do services (Oil, filters, spark plugs) then other work like change engine mounts, brake pads, distributor and i also diagnosed a charging issue on my 25 year old. Was very proud of myself.

I need to do a brake flush 1st ever and i have checked the steps on Youtube.

neoprema

Expert Member
I generally prefer to drop off the car for any problems to the dealer, its why I normally don't keep the car past the maintenance plan. But I can change a tyre. Although the last puncture I had I just sprayed some of that repair stuff in and went to Tiger Wheel to fix it.

ADRAM3L3CH

Thats easy , my 4 year old can almost change a tyre by himself.

Rebuilt a few engines(4 and 6 cylinder), full services, cambelt and water pump changes, brake pads, fitted a bigger turbo . All before I was married though:confused:

Looking at getting something to build with my son now though.