Can you go 24 hours without touching smart tech?

Can you survive?

• Total voters

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Going camping last year did so, but if in my own house/within the city? No, lights are "smart"/google home controlled, read books on my phone/tablet.
Even going out I need my phone as I use it to pay (tap), has my transport year ticket, etc.

It's basically just that instead of it being lots of different items (physical book, cards/cash) it's all just condensed into one or two.

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
Walk in the park.

During my binges, I give my phone to someone trustworthy to keep until my next working day.

All I need is good company and someone with bail money.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
I can, but I usually choose not to.
Many holiday places in SA have crappy cell reception, so if they don't provide wifi we're effectively cut off.

maumau

Honorary Master
Never, even dislike visiting people because it's bad manners to keep my phone handy.

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
And my belt and shoelaces.

Let me tell you. It's ****ing boring being in jail and if I had my phone and a power bank, things would have been tolerable.

I didn't fear any of the people in the cell with me, what got to me was the absolute boredom.

Anyway, that doesn't count as I didn't give up my phone voluntarily. :thumbsdown:

Ghost64

Expert Member
But potatoes are expensive these days geez...
Wait let me google why...

eg2505

Honorary Master
its possible, in an environment that does not need it, like a tiny Island.
but in everyday life, difficult especially with all the technology that is constantly around us.

Mista_Mobsta

Expert Member
Yes, I often spend weekends away where there is nothing, not even electricity so a phone means nothing unless I want to take a pic.
But I hardly do that when in company as there are always people around me taking photos.

I did the 5 day Otter Trail earlier this year, left my phone behind, absolute bliss having zero technology for 5 days.

Afrikaburn is the same, I go for 10 days at a time and leave my phone in the cubby for that entire time
Both on my Bucket List -> Wolhuter trail in the Kruger also on the list

Can easily go a long time without seeing a TV or Smartphone or anything!

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Both on my Bucket List -> Wolhuter trail in the Kruger also on the list

Can easily go a long time without seeing a TV or Smartphone or anything!
Kruger Park is nice but I have no desire to hike anything higher than the Bloemfontein Equator, its just too hot and humid for me, I stay below that line as much as possible